A better way to log GCA cache finds (and DNF's)

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
WazzaAndWenches
5000 or more caches found

A better way to log GCA cache finds (and DNF's)

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 22 November 13 9:38 pm

The fact that you're reading this forum says there is a fair chance that you search for Geocaching Australia caches. I'll bet you also search for GC caches. What's more I suspect most of you log your GC finds (and DNF's :stabby ) via the "publish logs" function in GSAK and your GCA finds via a more cumbersome method.

Wouldn't it be great if you could log you GCA finds using the same method. It would make life much simpler and easy if GSAK sent GC logs to the US server and GCA to the Aussie server.

Good idea? How about voting on the GSAK forum. If there is enough interest Clyde might even have a go at writing the code into GSAK.

Click here for the GSAK forum topic.

caughtatwork

Re: A better way to log GCA cache finds (and DNF's)

Post by caughtatwork » 22 November 13 9:46 pm

Even though I use fieldnotes to log my GCA and GC caches, I popped in and voted and left a comment.

JABs
4500 or more caches found

Post by JABs » 23 November 13 4:43 am

WazzaAndWenches wrote:The fact that you're reading this forum says there is a fair chance that you search for Geocaching Australia caches. I'll bet you also search for GC caches. What's more I suspect most of you log your GC finds (and DNF's :stabby ) via the "publish logs" function in GSAK and your GCA finds via a more cumbersome method.
Um only really look for GC caches, oh and don't use GSAK.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 23 November 13 7:56 am

JABs wrote:
WazzaAndWenches wrote:The fact that you're reading this forum says there is a fair chance that you search for Geocaching Australia caches. I'll bet you also search for GC caches. What's more I suspect most of you log your GC finds (and DNF's :stabby ) via the "publish logs" function in GSAK and your GCA finds via a more cumbersome method.
Um only really look for GC caches, oh and don't use GSAK.
So you decided to comment here because???? Real constructive.

Anyhoo:
As c@w said in the GSAK forum, we are happy to code in whatever needs doing, we are also happy for the existing API to be used, but whatever works best we will happily accommodate.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 23 November 13 10:12 pm

I did ask about this very feature a while back, ideally I wanted to leverage the existing log caches function but currently it filters non gc caches, so currently you would need to build a new input form

WazzaAndWenches

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 30 November 13 11:18 pm

So far 11 people would like the feature added =D> , 11 don't want it :( and 11 don't seem to care one way or the other. ](*,)

Have you voted?? http://gsak.net/board/index.php?act=ST&f=8&t=26447

WazzaAndWenches

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 14 December 13 9:32 pm

Blatant bump :-"

sirius Tas
3500 or more caches found

Post by sirius Tas » 20 May 16 2:55 pm

With prevalent use of smart phones in latter years, most cachers would now be using cachesense for GC caches and GA Cacher for GA caches. Both log cache finds directly to the respective sites, negating any need for GSAK. Why would you bother?
With the above apps, loading gpx files seem to be a thing of the past.....again why would you.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 May 16 4:19 pm

I geocache using a GPS not a smart phone. So while logging is still via Field Notes, cache management is GSAK. If GSAK disappeared, I would write something for the GCA website to manage your files and data regardless of source.

sirius Tas

Post by sirius Tas » 20 May 16 5:38 pm

Hi Peter,
Can see exactly where you're at. I haven't used the smart phone before this but I guess my only concern up to now was the phones accuracy so currently monitoring and comparing to gps. So far so good...really impressed......but no doubt under canopy etc could be different. I'm fairly new to cache apps but have found them very easy to use and save quite a bit of time logging.
No doubt I'll still use gsak down the track for planning etc.

spatialriq
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by spatialriq » 23 May 16 3:48 pm

sirius Tas wrote:With prevalent use of smart phones in latter years, most cachers would now be using cachesense for GC caches and GA Cacher for GA caches. Both log cache finds directly to the respective sites, negating any need for GSAK. Why would you bother?
With the above apps, loading gpx files seem to be a thing of the past.....again why would you.
Most geocachers I know (with Android Phones) are using c:geo or the GC intro app. Yet to come across anyone using cachesense, although I'm sure they're out there somewhere :D

LouiseAnn

Post by LouiseAnn » 23 May 16 6:39 pm

apple people I know use Geosphere. I am attempting to use cachly, with variable success.

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 23 May 16 9:19 pm

sirius Tas wrote:negating any need for GSAK. Why would you bother?
I like GSAK, partly because I have it already. If I was new to caching I may not bother. But in the days before smartphones it was nice to be able to plot the caches on maps and plan a day. That said I still prefer the larger screen to plan a caching run than looking at the to (my getting older eyes) small smartphone if I want to target a run. I realise I could just plot the caches on the GCA map as well, at least for Australia.

I am planning on heading to the NZ mega this year, and have downloaded the NZ topo maps for Oziexplorer (which the NZ government makes available for free). That means I have offline mapping and can use GSAK/Ozi to plan the day without the need for expensive overseas data coverage, heck I can even plug the GPS in and have moving map in the car on the laptop if I want to. While I have access to a NZ SIM card it is the wrong size for my current phone, and buying a new one if it is still $60 for 1GB that will probably last me for the 2 weeks I am there when I don't have Wifi access, using mapping a lot will pretty quickly kill it.

And having preloaded the GPX files means I don't need to have coverage, either here or overseas, to have the description, hint and logs with me on the iPhone. And you don't have to go too far from Sydney to suddenly find yourself outside mobile coverage.

sirius Tas

Post by sirius Tas » 24 May 16 10:49 am

Hi Richary,
My previous comments didn't take into account of being offline with phone. I haven't cached for quite awhile and is the first time I've used the phone apps but have been very impressed with not only ease of use but accuracy. Also logging caches through the apps has been miles faster than going to both geocaching sites.
However........being offline is another kettle of fish. While maps can be downloaded for offline use on phone.....there's no doubt using gsak along with decent maps either on
laptop or gpsr is still the way to go......and as you say......for planning future caches interstate or in your case NZ
I should have tempered my previous comments some what as there are always circumstances that don't suit one method all the time.
I think I was a bit over awed with the phone apps at the time.......which are still brilliant but just don't fit all situations......as I've now found out.
As it turns out I have just loaded the latest ver of gsak.....as my old ver was playing up.
I'm sure gsak will be extremely useful for a long time yet.

Richary

Post by Richary » 24 May 16 8:42 pm

sirius Tas wrote:Hi Richary,
My previous comments didn't take into account of being offline with phone. I haven't cached for quite awhile and is the first time I've used the phone apps but have been very impressed with not only ease of use but accuracy. Also logging caches through the apps has been miles faster than going to both geocaching sites.
However........being offline is another kettle of fish. While maps can be downloaded for offline use on phone.....there's no doubt using gsak along with decent maps either on
laptop or gpsr is still the way to go......and as you say......for planning future caches interstate or in your case NZ
Yes I have downloaded a free app for the phone called maps.me which works when out of range, though I doubt there is any way to get Geosphere to use it unfortunately. I have yet to go anywhere I have needed it.

I also don't like logging through the apps, but that's simply because I like writing a decent log when the cache deserves it, and with my fat fingers combined with aging eyesight I find it a pain in the neck to write anything long using the phone. I would rather wait until I come home and sit in front of the laptop. I will make an exception for a FTF log to let others it has gone (though they are few and far between), but then update the log to something decent when I get home. I must admit I have yet to try logging through GSAK, which could be a useful way of doing it when I don't have a data connection - I can log the caches while still fresh in the memory then when I get somewhere with Wifi even if a few days later I can upload them - rather than trying to remember a whole week's worth of finds, which is the situation I was in not long after starting in 2003 when I did a week long trip through the Flinders Ranges.