View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 August 18 11:28 am

Aldi Handheld GPS 

GCA Found:
GCA Hidden:
Post Aldi Handheld GPS
Gday all

I'm new to geocaching and this is my first post here. I've been using my phone so far to find caches (Nexus 4) but I noticed a GPS device in the Aldi catalogue today. Would it be better than using a smartphone? I've read that dedicated GPS devices are generally more accurate, but I'm unsure about this particular device. It looks to be good value but I figured I'd ask the experts.

Thanks in advance.

14 July 13 10:37 pm
Profile E-mail
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

GCA Found: 158
GCA Hidden: 44
100 GCA Finds
Post Re: Aldi Handheld GPS
Prior to this year I would have said 'Yes, get a handheld GPS'

But nowadays if you are seeking caches in populated, non-bush settings(which, let's face it are the majority of caches nowadays) then I wouldn't bother unless you have a real compelling need. The GPS in a N4 has GPS as well as Glosnass capabilities, which will be good enough for 99% of the caches you may do if urban caching is your thing.

A CHEAP GPS may be no better than a smartphone. (Mind you, if it's a Etrex or something it'd be fine - but the GPS in your phone may be better than these 'older' units they are flogging off for cheap. Beware of cheap no-name GPSrs)

If hiking in the bush or going away from civilisation a GOOD GPSr will always serve you well.

Of course, a 'proper' gps will give you better lock in the city and under trees etc..... but I find I don't use my Garmin anymore for anything thats <15 minutes walk from the car.

TLDR: A good GPS is better, but good smarthphone like a N4 will do you for the majority of caches out there.

15 July 13 9:02 am
Profile E-mail WWW

GCA Found:
GCA Hidden:
CraigRat wrote:
Prior to this year I would have said 'Yes, get a handheld GPS'

But nowadays if you are seeking caches in populated, non-bush settings(which, let's face it are the majority of caches nowadays) then I wouldn't bother unless you have a real compelling need. The GPS in a N4 has GPS as well as Glosnass capabilities, which will be good enough for 99% of the caches you may do if urban caching is your thing.

A CHEAP GPS may be no better than a smartphone. (There is a reason they are $60 when 'good' gps units cost $200-$300)

If hiking in the bush or going away from civilisation a GOOD GPSr will always serve you well.

Of course, a 'proper' gps will give you better lock in the city and under trees etc..... but I find I don't use my Garmin anymore for anything thats <15 minutes walk from the car.

TLDR: A good GPS is better, but good smarthphone like a N4 will do you for the majority of caches out there.

Cheers :)

15 July 13 9:04 am
Profile E-mail
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

GCA Found: 158
GCA Hidden: 44
100 GCA Finds
Compared to my Galaxy Nexus the GPS in the Nexus 4 is fantastic.

15 July 13 9:11 am
Profile E-mail WWW