Taming new Garmin Montana

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
cap flint
100 or more tracks walked

Taming new Garmin Montana

Post by cap flint » 21 June 13 1:53 pm

Just got a new Montana 650t and loaded GPX files with caches. What I cannot figure out is how to delete individual caches from the device without connecting to computer. I'm sure there is something simple, I just can't see it.

Anyone can help? It's probably same on Oregon..

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Re: Taming new Garmin Montana

Post by LouiseAnn » 21 June 13 4:07 pm

On the oregon, I don't think you can...

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 21 June 13 4:13 pm

actually I don't think you can do it on ANY Garmin GPS, the best you can do is filter it out but that's assuming its something like T=5 etc..

cap flint

Post by cap flint » 21 June 13 4:17 pm

Thanks, it means that I will delete all caches, found or not, when connected to computer before new downloads.

mtbikeroz
5000 or more caches found

Post by mtbikeroz » 21 June 13 5:50 pm

Have had my Montana 650t for over a year now. Have learnt some things, tricks, and one WHAT NOT TO DO!

But back to your query:

You cannot delete individual caches using the device only. Though, when you indicate them as found, they go off the "find caches" list. (which defaults to unfound).

When you then go to computer to add new caches, before you do, use Windows Explorer to navigate to the GPX files, and there you will see the caches under their GC number. You can simply delete it there and then, then safely & easily add more caches witout overwriting or deleting the existing ones.
If they however are in your GPS as a zip (or group) file from GSAK, then you cannot delete individual caches as they are all in the one file. (But in the gps, they are individual caches)
So, it depends how you got them in there in the first place.

When there is only a few, eg less than 10, I use the "Send to MY GPS" button in the cache page. This way, they are all in there individually. If more, I use GSAK and it is one file.

Now, what not to do - dragging & dropping GPX files from (desktop/folder/email/etc) into the gps works fine, absolutely fine! BUT, as soon as you add more caches via either use the send to my gps button or load via gsak, all the dragged n dropped, whilst still visible in Windows Explorer, are invisible to the gps.

cap flint

Post by cap flint » 21 June 13 7:10 pm

Thanks! I dragged groups of caches into the GPX file so cannot see / delete the individual caches on computer. But at least I understand now. It's interesting that waypoints can be deleted from the GPS but not caches. But no prob, from time to time I will delete all caches and wp's in the Finder (Explorer) and then download new caches.

A question on maps. I'm a fan of OSM and would like to use them but without loosing the preloaded Garmin maps (so I can use one type of map or another). I'm thinking downloading OSM into Montana's CUSTOM MAPS folder. Then in the 'Select Map' feature I would enable whichever map I want to use. Would that work?

mtbikeroz

Post by mtbikeroz » 21 June 13 7:17 pm

Can't answer the maps question. Don't know.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 21 June 13 7:45 pm

if the Montana is like the Oregon, rename the OSM map that you don't want to get overwritten to OSM.map

Each map you add to the unit or mircoSD card can have its own map name

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 22 June 13 5:23 pm

cap flint wrote: A question on maps. I'm a fan of OSM and would like to use them but without loosing the preloaded Garmin maps (so I can use one type of map or another). I'm thinking downloading OSM into Montana's CUSTOM MAPS folder. Then in the 'Select Map' feature I would enable whichever map I want to use. Would that work?
if you use the OSM garmin installer then it should create a new map file. or alternative if you just make sure you copy the .IMG file as a new name
eg OSM_AU.IMG

cap flint

Post by cap flint » 22 June 13 7:53 pm

Will try. Thanks!

jusojara
3000 or more caches found

Post by jusojara » 24 June 13 2:03 pm

I remember when I got my Montana that I just downloaded and dragged the OSM maps to a certain folder (which I will check and post when I get home if someone doesn't beat me to it) and then they are just selectable in the maps menu to turn on and off. The basemaps and OzTopo are not affected.

cap flint

Post by cap flint » 24 June 13 2:08 pm

Yes, that's exactly what i'm after!

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 24 June 13 3:25 pm

not sure what you are after but if you want to get the OSM maps try here ==> http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
when you goto Oceania --> Australia download the osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip unzip and rename it to osm_australia.img
put it in the garmin folder.

current version is ==> http://osm.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de/ga ... ed52eac3c/

cap flint

Post by cap flint » 24 June 13 4:38 pm

I downloaded NSW maps from:
http://www.osmaustralia.org/garmin.php
but not sure into what folder in Montana I should drag the download. I tried to drag them into 'Custom maps' but it did not work - couldn't see the maps in GPS.

The question is into what GPS folder I should drag the downloaded / unzipped OSM files so they would be selectable in the GPS (without overwriting Garmin maps).

BTW, do you know if there is any difference between the .nl link you gave me and the link I used (above)? Same maps?

jusojara

Post by jusojara » 24 June 13 7:17 pm

Ok, I downloaded the OSM maps and saved the zipped file as GMAPSUPP (this is as it downloads from memory) and then simply copy it onto a folder called GARMIN (very important I think from memory to create this folder and call it GARMIN) that I created on an SD card.

The device then recognised them automatically and I can turn them on and off as I need to (they hide the contours from the OzTops's).