Geocaching with a Garmin Edge 810

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Geocaching with a Garmin Edge 810

Post by Aushiker » 19 June 13 9:11 am

More as an experiment than anything else I thought I would try out my Garmin Edge 810 bicycle GPS as a geocaching GPS as preferred mode of geocaching transport is my bikes. Well it didn't work out as well I would have liked ( I think the Edge 810 goes some way to being useful but not all the way). I wrote up my experience on my blog and I am interested in suggestions on improving the approach but in summary I concluded that he Garmin Edge 810 allows me to geocache in the sense that I can navigate to a cache locality but that is about it. Once there I need to use my phone or a hand-held GPS to lock into the cache itself.

Anyway I thought it was worth a try and that others might be vaguely interested :)

Regards
Andrew

mtbikeroz
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Re: Geocaching with a Garmin Edge 810

Post by mtbikeroz » 19 June 13 7:31 pm

VERY interesting blog. I was (slightly) considering getting one for my bike (for sole use with the bike), in addition to my Garmin Montana 650t, but after reading your experience, the 650t is wayyyyyyyy better. Thanks for the informal review - it did answer a few ponderings I had that were not able to be answered by the website or its manual.

biggles1024
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Re: Geocaching with a Garmin Edge 810

Post by biggles1024 » 07 August 13 6:11 pm

You have a terrific blog. I'm slowly reading my way through it, and found your review of the Edge 810 excellent.

Cheers,
b.