Why is it so? Garmin GPS60CSx

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found

Why is it so? Garmin GPS60CSx

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 14 June 13 8:42 am

I have owned a Garmin GPS60CSx for a number of yearsused to find over 2000 caches. In fact I wore it out. It suffered a bit of damage through use. I looked at the new 62s, but was not impressed, particularly the fact I would have to replace all the peripherals, and the piss weak micro USB port used for external power.

So I bought a good, second hand 60 off Ebay.

So the first time I go to use it, I did my normal process, a PQ, processed via GSAK, then downloaded to the Garmin. As an aside, I also downloaded to my Nuvi at the same time. I had no dramas with the download to the Nuvi.

After doing the download, no caches appeared on the 60. Even when standing immediately beside one, it didn't appear on the new 60. However, they did appear on the 60 as waypoints. I would guess its in the settings,but I am stuffed if I can find it. I am thinking of firing both 60s up side by side, and going through all the settings to mirror the new off the old, but I thought I would ask here in case someone knew what was wrong.

RoadRoach58

Re: Why is it so? Garmin GPS60CSx

Post by RoadRoach58 » 14 June 13 1:08 pm

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:I have owned a Garmin GPS60CSx for a number of yearsused to find over 2000 caches. In fact I wore it out. It suffered a bit of damage through use. I looked at the new 62s, but was not impressed, particularly the fact I would have to replace all the peripherals, and the piss weak micro USB port used for external power.

So I bought a good, second hand 60 off Ebay.

So the first time I go to use it, I did my normal process, a PQ, processed via GSAK, then downloaded to the Garmin. As an aside, I also downloaded to my Nuvi at the same time. I had no dramas with the download to the Nuvi.

After doing the download, no caches appeared on the 60. Even when standing immediately beside one, it didn't appear on the new 60. However, they did appear on the 60 as waypoints. I would guess its in the settings,but I am stuffed if I can find it. I am thinking of firing both 60s up side by side, and going through all the settings to mirror the new off the old, but I thought I would ask here in case someone knew what was wrong.
Mate, I learned this the hard way. I too have a 60CSX, and while it's got a geocaching app built in, it's not a very complicated one. You need to check the icon selected for unfound caches. In fact, it will only display found and unfound caches, and knows only one icon for each. I figured this out while trying to set it up to use different icons for the different cache types to group them, only to find out it will only store "non-cache" items as waypoints. You can have MANY MANY different waypoints, but only one type of geocache. Someone was a little short-sighted on this. That said, make sure that GSAK is spitting out the same icon the 60CSX is set for, or set the 60CSx (probably the more preferable option) to whatever you were using before. Just start by deleting all waypoings (Find, Waypoint, Menu, Delete All) stored in the 60CSx. It has limited internal storage (1000 waypoints). You can however also store as Points of Interest, however, those will not work with the Geocaching app built into the 60CSx. Can't modify them with the found routine, so it won't even list the POI's in the cache list. You CAN, however, store more cache data on multi-page POI's. That's another discussion, though. Just clear the waypoints, select Find, Geocache, and it should prompt you to set up caching if you have no caching waypoints loaded.

Hope this helps.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 14 June 13 2:16 pm

I think you need to upload the icons to the GPSr, which you probably did a long time ago on your old GPSr.

http://centraljerseygeocaching.net/c/in ... e&id=104:h..

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 16 June 13 1:06 am

I haven't used a 60CSx for a long time, but I discovered the best way to do it was to ignore the caching function and load the caches as POIs.
I used GSAK to generate a POI file and was able to code in details of cache smartname, type, first so many chars of the hint etc., and was able to load in hundreds of caches as POIs.
Then you use a Garmin program for loading POIs to load them into the unit.
I don't remember all the details but the info is here in the forum but you need to go back 5 or 6 years probably.

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 16 June 13 12:15 pm

All sorted, thanks for everyones replies. Don't know what setting it was, but I ran both GPSs side by side, and went through every setting, duplicating the old onto the new. A couple were changed. Obviously it was one of them that was the issue.

Cheers

Bundy