GSAK on android tablet

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
tronador
6500 or more caches found

GSAK on android tablet

Post by tronador » 27 March 13 9:36 pm

Can GSAK be used on tablet? Would be useful when travelling.

Keeper of Time
8500 or more caches found
8500 or more caches found

Re: GSAK on android tablet

Post by Keeper of Time » 28 March 13 6:35 am

Hi tronador, the short answer is "no", but you can use your GSAK data using an app called GDAK.

I hope that helps.

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 29 March 13 2:53 pm

But GDAK is just another caching app (not a database app which is what GSAK is) which uses GSAK Databases directly instead of loading GPX files. and then you can't load them back.

I did look at this a little while ago and can't remember exactly what happened. I think that the answer was no (as KoT says) which is one of the reasons that I bought a Laptop with Windows at the time. And the keyboard is much easier to use.

tronador

Post by tronador » 29 March 13 8:25 pm

You are right. There's no way of putting records into the GPS , which is why I wanted it. Guess I'll have to continue lugging laptop .

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 31 March 13 2:40 pm

Speak to Noikmeister. I think he knows a bit about GDAK. I believe it now can save its own database of caches.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 31 March 13 6:23 pm

tronador wrote:You are right. There's no way of putting records into the GPS , which is why I wanted it. Guess I'll have to continue lugging laptop .
not entirely true ,
depending on your Tablet it might work with an OTG cable, if it can "mount" the GPS drive.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 31 March 13 7:36 pm

GDAK is a fine app , i have been using it for several years on my eee transformer . since the last couple of updates, api and the like as well as the format changes.
it has gone for clunky/chunky beta, to a smooth stand alone caching app =D>

tronador

Post by tronador » 31 March 13 8:21 pm

mtrax wrote:
tronador wrote:You are right. There's no way of putting records into the GPS , which is why I wanted it. Guess I'll have to continue lugging laptop .
not entirely true ,
depending on your Tablet it might work with an OTG cable, if it can "mount" the GPS drive.
What is an OTG cable. It's a Samsung Galaxy tab

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 31 March 13 8:22 pm

Try eBay or google

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 31 March 13 11:21 pm

mtrax wrote:
not entirely true ,
Yes, but that only works if you either pre-convert your PQs to a format your GPSr can use or have a GPSr that can load GPX files directly.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 01 April 13 8:19 am

Papa Bear_Left wrote:
mtrax wrote:
not entirely true ,
Yes, but that only works if you either pre-convert your PQs to a format your GPSr can use or have a GPSr that can load GPX files directly.
Im pretty sure most gpsr should be able to directly the gpx directly from PQ, I do know my Dakota did, no problems, I was using my Samsung S2, but you will need to unzip the file or unset the compressed format option in your PQ

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 25 April 13 8:17 pm

mtrax wrote:
Papa Bear_Left wrote:
mtrax wrote:
not entirely true ,
Im pretty sure most gpsr should be able to directly the gpx directly from PQ, I do know my Dakota did, no problems, I was using my Samsung S2, but you will need to unzip the file or unset the compressed format option in your PQ
OT but still pertinent...I now have the compress option unchecked on all my GC.com PQs, but when I download them they are still compressed...WTF?

geo_jas
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by geo_jas » 30 April 13 8:56 am

I use a Samsung Galaxy tab to transfer PQ gpx files to my etrex 30 using a USB/SD card adapter bought on ebay.

It looks like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-OTG-Conn ... 53f64da671

I used to be able to use a USB cable to copy the files directly but after updating to ICS, it says the device is high powered and cannot connect. Now I have take the card from the etrex to copy the gpx files onto it. Not quite as convenient but works fine.