NSW State Challenge KML Zones

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

NSW State Challenge KML Zones

Post by Zalgariath » 28 December 12 3:53 pm

Hey guys (particularly CR and C@W),

I was trying to find the Zones for the NSW State Challenge. Spindoc thought they might already be up but I couldnt find them. Im about to upload them but dont want to duplicate if they are there...

So are they up already and Im just blind?

Also, having issues with one zone on GSAK... 13/14 zones loaded on Google Earth worked (Open the master KMZ with all the zones then save each individual zone as a KML, open in GSAK)... It is the Northern Zone... KML saves, but wont open in GSAK. If anyone has any ideas why Id love to here from you. Link to the KMZ below.

http://www.geocachingnsw.asn.au/index.p ... arth-layer

Cheers!

Zalgariath

Re: NSW State Challenge KML Zones

Post by Zalgariath » 28 December 12 5:35 pm

Grrr now having even more troubles... the KML I generated for each zone when loaded in Google Earth shows the correct boundaries of the Zone.

However, when I load the KML as a GSAK filter only a handful of caches came up. I checked and they are all in one or two of the "sub zones" that made up the orignial zone... yet the KML data is for the whole zone, and no longer contains the subs?!

Very frustrating. Anyone more experienced with KML with input would be appreciated.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 December 12 5:50 pm

No they're not up. I wouldn't load these. They are not a single polygon. They are all of the applicable LGA's for a given region. The boundaries seem weird and don't align. Check the far West for color mismatches. Let me load and test the locally before making a final call.

As far as Northern not loading, well, I blame GSAK. Look at the actual points being loaded. GSAK is ONLY loading the polygon shapes NOT the MultiGeometry shapes. Northern is the ONLY file that does NOT have a polygon, they are all MultiGeometry. You can confirm it's only loading Polygon shapes by loading a file. Then copy everything in the Arc/Polygon points box. Then click on GSAK polygon/arc drawing tool. Then paste the co-ords you copied. Then click Load Shape. Note that only the ONE area is loaded. That would be the Polygon, not any of the MultiGeometry shapes. The fellows at GSAK will need to help you.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 December 12 6:15 pm

These files won't load, anyway. They're not in a format that we are expecting, although the files can be manipulated to get them to fit. We're not expecting MultiGeometry components either. Given they are made up of the various Local Government Areas I wouldn't like to do that though.

The mechanics of determining whether a cache is in a zone is made up of checking each polygon in the zone and in these cases there are multiple polygons which means each check occurs multiple times. Having one polygon for the zone would be the best result, rather than a number of polygons making up the zone. If you can get a single polygon for each zone, I can see whether they can be used.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 28 December 12 9:31 pm

Awesome thanks for the detailed answer... yep I had been thinking I would need to load the individual polygons separately to make this work.... or painstakingly trace the polygon outlines in Google Earth Manually... was working on it for Team Canary. I'll see what I can fudge :)

Cheers!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 December 12 9:36 pm

The individual LGA's are already here and have been for quite a while.
http://geocaching.com.au/zone/select/14/nsw/all
If you know the LGA's in the region you are looking at, just click on them and see what's there.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 28 December 12 9:59 pm

Hmmm I do know which belong to which region.... might see if there is way I can merge them on GE :D

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 December 12 10:13 pm

The kml files generated for the LGA's are all standard polygons. So you can download the kml files and whack them into GSAK if you like. That bypasses the MultiGeometry in the original files you had.