unable to calibrate etreck 20 compass

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
danmetal

unable to calibrate etreck 20 compass

Post by danmetal » 23 December 12 11:21 am

I have tried to calibrate compass using manual however when i click on menu when in compass mode the calibrate function does not appear as the manual says it will so cant calibrate , anyone had same issue or advice.
Thanks

caughtatwork

Re: unable to calibrate etreck 20 compass

Post by caughtatwork » 23 December 12 11:27 am

As far as I know the Etrex 20 does not have an electronic compass. i.e. There is nothing to calibrate. You may find that the firmware for all the models is the same, so it offers you the option to calibrate, but when you select it, there is actually no compass to calibrate.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 23 December 12 11:41 am

caughtatwork wrote:As far as I know the Etrex 20 does not have an electronic compass
Correct. You have to go up to the Etrex 30 for a triaxial compass.

danmetal

Post by danmetal » 23 December 12 12:23 pm

I spoke to guys at shop , told me 20 has a triaxial as opposed to the 30 having barometric compass, as does the manual . when I open the compass there is a compass on the screen but it is slow and inaccurate . the manual says that with the compass open if you press menu there should be a calibrate function . does anyone out there have practical experience on the unit .

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 23 December 12 12:52 pm

Hi danmetal, I think the 'guy in the shop' might not know what he talking about. As far as I can tell from the garmin website, as both the site mods who have responded to you already have said, there isn't a compass on that model

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID ... RIES_ETREX

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 23 December 12 12:59 pm

danmetal wrote:I spoke to guys at shop , told me 20 has a triaxial as opposed to the 30 having barometric compass, as does the manual . when I open the compass there is a compass on the screen but it is slow and inaccurate . the manual says that with the compass open if you press menu there should be a calibrate function . does anyone out there have practical experience on the unit .
Of course you believe a salesman?

The manual (from the Garmin site) clearly states that only the 30 has a triaxial compass. The compass referred to in the manual for all eTrex models is one based on the GPS signals and you have to be moving to have it work properly as it is calculating your direction from the difference in position as you move. This was also made clear in all the answers I found on a google search for 'etrex 20 compass calibration'

The models 20 and 30 share the same basic software so the button is visible on the 20 even if it cannot be used.

(Similar to the Garmin 450 & 550. They both have a photo button but only the 550 can use it as it is the one that has the camera)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 December 12 1:03 pm

The guy in the shop is not correct for the Etrex 20.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=87771
Click on Specs Tab
Scroll down to Features and Benefits.
Electronic compass: no
If you were sold the device based on it having an electronic compass, take it back for a refund.

danmetal

Post by danmetal » 23 December 12 1:06 pm

looks like good old fashioned analog compass will be the go then .
thanks for the help .