Uniden UHF radio help/component needed

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 18 November 04 12:14 pm

Geof wrote:
I have held the mon switch a few seconds as required, get the multiple beeps that should turn it off (it does on the other operational unit) but no joy.
Not sure if you mean it beeps or not.. but if it beeps don't bother finding a meter for that purpose as you have confirmed the switch it's self is OK.

If it still beeps when pressed for 2 sec but dosn't change the mute status then we are in more trouble than we thought :cry: .
Yep, it appears the processor is detecting the switch, so in theory it points to a firmware problem, but in reality that's unlikely. Parhaps another hardware fault manifesting itself as a firmware issue - yuck.

I'd ditch it!

EcoDave :)

Big Red Expeditions
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Big Red Expeditions » 18 November 04 8:22 pm

Geof wrote:
with a massive 35w power on UHF CB bands
I hope the ACA boys arn't reading this :lol:
35w is perfectly legal if you've got the licence. The unit is capable of delivering 50w but for the sake of not cooking other units nearby that's restricted to 35w in the UHF CB bands. I do hear that the firmwre can be hacked to deliver more, but if 35w isn't enough then where do you draw the line?

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 18 November 04 10:24 pm

35w is perfectly legal if you've got the licence
On the UHF CBRS band or 70 cm?

CBRS ????????!

70 cm no probs

From http://www.aca.gov.au/aca_home/legislat ... s/cbrs.htm
Radiocommunications (Citizen Band Radio Stations) Class Licence 2002
Part 2 UHF
Operation of a CB station must only employ FM or PM with a transmitter power not exceeding 5 watts pZ with a necessary bandwidth not exceeding 16 kHz.

Big Red Expeditions
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Big Red Expeditions » 19 November 04 6:00 pm

Class Licence 2002
Part 2 UHF
Operation of a CB station must only employ FM or PM with a transmitter power not exceeding 5 watts pZ with a necessary bandwidth not exceeding 16 kHz.
That's true for holders of the CB "Class" Licence which is the licence given to all users of CB equipment. There is no cost for the Class Licence, and no forms to fill out, and it is a default license under which all CB users operate *if* they have no other qualification.

The holder of a "Standard" Amateur license is able to broadcast on a whole range of frequencies (not just UHF CB, for example) at up to 100W and an "Advanced" Amateur license can broadcast on even more frequencies up to 400w! An Ameteur License supercedes a Class License which is given to the equipment, not the individual.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 19 November 04 8:15 pm

Big Red Expeditions wrote:

Class Licence 2002
Part 2 UHF
That's true for holders of the CB "Class" Licence which is the licence given to all users of CB equipment. There is no cost for the Class Licence, and no forms to fill out, and it is a default license under which all CB users operate *if* they have no other qualification.

The holder of a "Standard" Amateur license is able to broadcast on a whole range of frequencies (not just UHF CB, for example) at up to 100W and an "Advanced" Amateur license can broadcast on even more frequencies up to 400w! An Ameteur License supercedes a Class License which is given to the equipment, not the individual.
I dunno where where you got bit of info but unless the regs have changed it the last few weeks I doubt its validity.<p>
Radiocommunications Licence Conditions (Amateur Licence) Determination No. 1 of 1997, gives the amateur 70cm band as 420.000 to 450.000 Mhz. The only item not in these is the administrative conditions re the morse test. (which was not all that hard). There is nothing in the regulations about operating on CB frequencies.
There is not such thing as an advanced amateur licence in Australia. There is a novice and and an unrestricted licence. The novice licence allows operating on segments of the 3.5, 21. 28,144,and 430 Mhz bands. The unrestricted licence allows high power all mode on all amateur bands.
The CB bands are not mentioned.
High power, wiithout a special permit, is 120W DC input to the final or 400W PEP for C3F (video), J3E (ssb, suppressed carrier ) and R3E (ssb, reduced carrier) transmissions, it does not mean 400W up the stick for FM.
A holder of a novice licence is allowed 10 Watts max output.

SteelRat

Post by SteelRat » 21 November 04 9:44 pm

Not sure if I should say anything amongst this talk of signal strength and various legalities, but what the hell. Thanks for the advice all (even the $87 worth from i!). I've decided that the problem is unfixable :( , at least for the time being. Who knows, maybe pulling the batteries out and leaving the thing in a drawer for a year might magically fix it! :roll: At least it will be available for spare parts should the other unit snuff it too. In the mean time I was thinking of buying a bit of an upgrade, maybe the UH-044XR with 2watt power, instead of the 0.5watt of the 40XR. Any thoughts? :wink:

dcr
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by dcr » 22 November 04 9:52 am

SteelRat wrote:Who knows, maybe pulling the batteries out and leaving the thing in a drawer for a year might magically fix it! :roll:
Don't be shocked it it did clear with something weird. For our central heating remote it was installing the batteries in reverse polarity for 20 min's ... and that fixed it.

cheers Darren :)

Geof

Post by Geof » 22 November 04 10:01 am

Looks not bad. The 3 levels of power would be handy for close car - car work.
Have you seen their new GPS205 radio / GPS in one? Not sure of the price but it will be a lot more than the UH044.

Big Red Expeditions
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Big Red Expeditions » 22 November 04 11:34 am

Well, I'm willing to bow to your advice Riblit, but that's not how it was explained to me. The introduction of a third tier to the Amateur License came in this year and you can read the specifications here:
http://www.aca.gov.au/aca_home/licensin ... utcome.pdf

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 22 November 04 4:20 pm

Big Red Expeditions wrote:Well, I'm willing to bow to your advice Riblit, but that's not how it was explained to me. The introduction of a third tier to the Amateur License came in this year and you can read the specifications here:
http://www.aca.gov.au/aca_home/licensin ... utcome.pdf
Thanks, I remember that review, having made a submission, I believe it is not fully implemented as yet. There are some changes to the relevant acts that have to go through.
My licence still says 'Unrestricted", not" Advanced." and there is nothing in the spectrum allocation about operating in the UHF Citizens Band spectrum.

Geof

Post by Geof » 22 November 04 8:57 pm

For our central heating remote it was installing the batteries in reverse polarity for 20 min's ... and that fixed it.
I don't recomend you do that as most radios have a "Crowbar diode" that short circuits the batterys if instaled the wrong way. Even if it dosn't you will probebly end up with a 0.05 watt unit when the PA transistor cooks :evil: .

It could also be a fault on the down path side of the micro. Still not much you can do unless you know a bit about it. :wink:

:idea: Some of the in car units have a micro reset method - if you can get uniden to tell you what it is (if it has one) - worth a go. Usualy hold down button X and turn ON or somthing like that. Some of the GME radios have a button disable were you can do that and it kills that particular buttons function untill you do it again.

As for the power debate I say show us the legislation.

SteelRat

Post by SteelRat » 03 December 04 6:34 pm

After e:mailing a request for a multi-button reset method to Uniden, I was sent a reply asking me to call a specific tech on a specific number. After describing the problem to him, he advised me to send him the unit for him to reset AT NO CHARGE :shock: , even though warranty has long expired. I have sent him the unit by registered post, with a likely return date within 2-3 weeks :D . My faith in corporate customer service has been restored. The tech is a bloody legend 8) .

Hounddog
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Hounddog » 09 December 04 1:15 pm

SteelRat wrote:After describing the problem to him, he advised me to send him the unit for him to reset AT NO CHARGE :shock: , even though warranty has long expired.
Isn't it nice when this sort of thing happens. Unfortunately it's a very rare thing these days. Uniden have a good reputation for fixing problems even though they are priced at the low end of the market. Perhaps Icom could take a leaf out of their book, but that's another story.

Still, my favourite for after sales service is GME Electrophone.

Another good idea is to always buy from a reputable dealer. I would never buy a UHF CB on Ebay. Places in Sydney like "Action Communications" at Kingswood, or "Metro Communications" at Arncliffe are the go.

Good luck with your repair work.

Hounddog.

SteelRat

Post by SteelRat » 09 December 04 10:36 pm

Is back. Is working. Am happy :D :D :D :D Many thanks to Uniden. The tech is a legend 8)

misterdrewkittytoo

Re:

Post by misterdrewkittytoo » 09 April 13 8:15 pm

riblit wrote: There is not such thing as an advanced amateur licence in Australia. There is a novice and and an unrestricted licence.
Those are the old licence classes that were used in australia prior to 2005 i believe that there was also a novice limited licence in there somewhere as well
The new (post 2005) licence classes are Foundation, Standard & Advanced. Foundation can output a Maximum of 10 watts, Standard can output a Max 100 watts & Advanced can output 400 watts

Misterdrewkittytoo

VK5FACE