Goecaching app for MIcrosoft Surface/Windows RT

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
totalube
2000 or more caches found

Goecaching app for MIcrosoft Surface/Windows RT

Post by totalube » 21 November 12 9:17 pm

Does anyone know of any programs being developed for Windows 8 RT. It would be nice to have GSAK on the Surface or other Windows tablets.

With the USB port, it would make a great caching computer.

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Re: Goecaching app for MIcrosoft Surface/Windows RT

Post by akkatracker » 21 November 12 9:43 pm

totalube wrote:Does anyone know of any programs being developed for Windows 8 RT. It would be nice to have GSAK on the Surface or other Windows tablets.

When the Surface pro comes out (Jan?) GSAK will work on it as it runs a full version of windows.

totalube

Post by totalube » 21 November 12 9:46 pm

akkatracker wrote:
totalube wrote:Does anyone know of any programs being developed for Windows 8 RT. It would be nice to have GSAK on the Surface or other Windows tablets.

When the Surface pro comes out (Jan?) GSAK will work on it as it runs a full version of windows.
But unfortunately I couldn't justify the Pro :(

I am hoping that in time something becomes available for the Surface.

vulvulune

Post by vulvulune » 14 January 13 8:19 am

I have a very great new for you. I've developed a GeoCaching app for Windows 8/RT. You can discover the application here: www.gcexplorer.com

Unfortunately, you don't have a GPS on your Microsoft Surface so you cannot use it to go until the cache without any other GPS device. But good news, you can download each cache to GPX format from GCExplorer or directly your Pocket Queries.

In the application, you can also save the caches into offline lists. Like this you take on the road only your tablet and your GPS device, and you can export to your GPS device the caches without internet connection or computer.

In the future version, I will add a feature: you'll be able to upload GPX and spoiler images directly on your GPS device in one click.

You can try it for free the application for 15 days and if you like it you can buy it for 4$ USD.

I hope you will try the application and like it. If you find any bug or you have ideas to improve the application, don't hesitate to contact me.

McPhan
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by McPhan » 15 January 13 7:47 pm

Whilst not exactly what you are looking for (and I will have a look at the program suggested above) I loaded Team Viewer on the Surface and then simply connect to my home PC on the road using a Telstra WiFi thingy (or my phone but it's Vodafone so not as much coverage) the setup and worked nicely. Of course the home PC has to be on the whole time for this to work.