GPX to Etrex 10 on Mac

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
The Old Sod

GPX to Etrex 10 on Mac

Post by The Old Sod » 14 October 12 5:08 pm

Hi all, 'Toriaz' gave me the info to collect pocket queries and how to download to the mac desktop...[so far all good :D ]...then i want to transfer the GPX to the Etex10.....[nothing :evil: ]....do I need another software to do this or can I do it direct via GCA :?:
Cheers Ric

caughtatwork

Re: GPX to Etrex 10 on Mac

Post by caughtatwork » 14 October 12 5:31 pm

When you plug your GPX into your computer does it come up as a drive?
You should be able to drag and dopr (or copy and paste) into the GPX directory on the GPS.

The Old Sod

Post by The Old Sod » 14 October 12 8:02 pm

Correct. The Garmin drive/icon mounts and I can drag the gpx file into the GPX folder, BUT this doesnt get copied/show up on the gpsr. 'Basecamp' see's the whole gpx file, [even shows the locations on the map] and gives the option of 'sending to a devise', this also works, BUT on the etrex it does not show any descriptions, logs etc...ie: no paperless cashing.
I would like to get the Cashes as they are when copied as a single file, with everything available. I dont really want to spend hours copying single cashes!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 October 12 8:12 pm

Can you actually see the file in the GPX directory?
What sites files are you trying?
You need to use GCA version 1.0.1 (Compatible) files.
GC files should "just work".
How close to you are the caches? Maybe it's a proximity thing if they're too far away.

The Old Sod

Post by The Old Sod » 14 October 12 8:41 pm

1. Yes, I can see the gpx file in the gpx folder in the Garmin Drive, while the drive is mounted I cannot access the etrex until i unmount the drive and turn the gpsr back on], then i can check to see if the files are there.[until I sent the files to the gps from Basecamp I could not see anything in the gps].

2. The only site Im trying is GCA [GC will only give paperless cashing as premium and im not going there yet.

4. The pocket query/GPX file is 'all cashes within a 100km radius'.

I get the feeling that I can get everything in a single download but not as a Pocket query.

Are you a mac user or PC? [if PC do you get paperless cashing from GCA using pocket queries?]

If you are mac what do you do?

gd___
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Post by gd___ » 14 October 12 8:45 pm

I assume you realise the GCA GPX will only give you the GCA caches in the radius not the GC ones.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 October 12 9:31 pm

Aha. Your GPX setting in your settings is set to 1.0

Go here
http://geocaching.com.au/my/settings/
In GPX Version set it to 1.0.1 (Compatible)

Native GCA files don't work on all GPS units. The 1.0.1 (Compatible) format should work.
Change your version, then grab the file again and see if it works.

The Old Sod

Post by The Old Sod » 15 October 12 7:38 pm

Many thanks 'Caughtatwork'...all good!! \:D/

For anyone with the same issue: I changed the Gpx setting as instructed, browsed for the query/GPX file and simply dropped it into the 'Gpx' folder in the mounted volume 'Garmin' [There are 2 folders in there, 'Current' and 'Nav' dont use either folder]. When the file has finished copying, eject or unmount the mounted volume, disconnect your Gpsr and turn it on.

When I turned the Gpsr on all the cashes were now in the 'Geocashe' page and have all the descriptions available.[previously they were just showing up as in the Wayoints page with no info

Cheers!

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 16 October 12 11:32 am

On my Oregon, I delete all files in the Garmin/GPX folder before adding in a new GPX. Don't know if that's absolutely necessary, but it works.