I need to replace my Asus Eee

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

I need to replace my Asus Eee

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 08 October 12 12:46 pm

I'm looking for a few suggestions from the more computer savvy cachers around here.

4 years ago when I last replaced my computer I took the advice from this forum and purchased an Asus Eee PC 1000H. Apart from a memory upgrade, this little machine has served admirably over the last 4 years but time has come for a replacement, I'd love to know some other people's suggestions or what they use that is similar.

I'm looking for something with between a 10 to 12 inch screen, 1024 x 768 resolution would be great but not a deal breaker as I've lived with 1024 x 600 for the last 4 years. Wifi and Bluetooth are a given. I use this computer as my daily computer. Email, spreadsheets, word documents, the usual basic stuff. I run GSAK, Mapsource and a few other mapping / caching software plus web browsers for reviewing / logging caches.

I have had great big powerful machines and I'm not looking for a leg cooker. I'm not too attached to brands but Asus have served me well. Has anyone got any suggestions or horror stories as to what I should avoid or what to look for?

Thanks in advance.

g_ordo
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Re: I need to replace my Asus Eee

Post by g_ordo » 08 October 12 1:59 pm

Check out the ultra books, still small, and pretty fast. Do you need windows? I think Asus make a xover android tablet with a removeable kb.. The ultra books start at around $600

Otherwise the little ones like you have with the atom processor start around $300..

Cheers gordo

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 08 October 12 4:38 pm

Asus EPad transformer =D> =D>
depends on budget !
i love mine can send gpx to gps, runs GDAK and Ozi, , we always have a lappy of some sort as back up, to date have not needed it =D> =D> =D>

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 09 October 12 6:46 am

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I have been avoiding Android as I'm not familiar with it and would prefer a Windows based machine. My budget is around $1k if I need to spend that to get a bit more memory, CPU, etc.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 09 October 12 3:29 pm

So, what's the EEE no longer doing well enough for you? That'd help with knowing what it is you're looking to upgrade.

Battery life? (You could get a new battery, if it's just the old one wearing out...)
Speed?
HD space?

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 09 October 12 11:50 pm

D all of the above...

The battery I have replaced once.
The power cord is playing up and it jumps between not charging and charging.
I upgraded to 2gb of memory but it's still not great.
Little problems with keys and trackpad.
Just time for a new one I suppose.
It only has 40gb of HD space.
I can't get the Urwigo software to run on it. I have to use Shells Viao.
Opening multiple tabs brings the system to a shuddering halt.
My 50,000 cache GSAK database has had logs culled as the searches we taking way too long.

I have done a bit more looking and may have to go up to a 13 inch screen and go to a Zenbook of similar. I'm not sure if that will be too big for travelling. I just wish i could find a 10 inch screen that had a 762 resolution or larger.

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 10 October 12 4:59 pm

When MBL was looking for a very light travel computer, the Macbook Air was the hottest contender. (I eventually talked her into an iPad+keyboard option, similar size but much cheaper!)

Worth a look. The specs are great, and you can run Windows on it if you want continuity of OS.

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 11 October 12 11:55 am

Thanks for the comments. I have decided to stick with a eee. I have found a 1225B that has good resolution and nice features for under $600

http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_PC/Eee_PC_1225B/

I'll see how it goes.