GPX / Tablet

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Hoojar
5000 or more caches found

GPX / Tablet

Post by Hoojar » 20 July 12 3:42 pm

Any advise on the following would be appreciated, I can be a bit of a Luddite sometimes. I'm looking for a way of moving GPX files to my Oregon. Is there an (easy) method to do this via my smart phone or say a tablet (I am thinking of buying one). I am used to plugging my Oregon into my laptop and dragging the required file on via Windows (no, I do not use GSAK).

My laptop is getting pretty old and slow (four years) and I am considering not replacing it, but getting a tablet instead. I'm tempted to give the Nexus 7 a try.

mtrax

Re: GPX / Tablet

Post by mtrax » 21 July 12 9:48 am

you didn't say what tablet but I'm guessing an Android table.
I have just come back from a trip to Canada which I used my Android phone and a "OTG" cable to update my Dakota via usb.
pretty easy really just get on wifi or 3G and copy your PQ (GPX) files to the Garmin device.

having said this my original Xoom tablet firmware didn't do this but my phone did, but I have since installed a custom ROM and it works fine now.

So in short its possible you just need to check if your Tablet supports USB storage mounting.

geo_jas
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by geo_jas » 21 July 12 10:46 am

I use a galaxy tablet with a USB adapter (about $5 on eBay) to copy GPX files onto my GPS. Works a treat and I find I barely even turn on the computer anymore.

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 23 July 12 11:32 am

mtrax wrote:you didn't say what tablet but I'm guessing an Android table.
Hoojar wrote:I'm tempted to give the Nexus 7 a try.
mtrax wrote:So in short its possible you just need to check if your Tablet supports USB storage mounting.
Okay, I will keep this requirement at the top of my pile for Tablets I look at. Thanks!

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 23 July 12 12:30 pm

FYI I have an Acer Iconia A500 tablet that connects as a drive without a special cable as it has a standard USB Port and I can copy GPX files to my Oregon 400 ok

The Asus Transformer Prime has a standard USB port on its detachable keyboard/dock too and it's a mighty good tablet when you buy the keyboard/dock as it has another battery in it.