Edit ECW files

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found

Edit ECW files

Post by ian-and-penny » 08 June 12 11:08 pm

I have some ecw mapping files that seem to have been scanned with too high DPI. When displayed in OziExplorer I have to zoom down to 33% to have a usable view on the screen.

Can anyone point me to some free software that can resize/resample these files?

Skippy

Re: Edit ECW files

Post by Skippy » 09 June 12 12:18 am

I use img2ozf

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 09 June 12 6:33 am

Use map merge and put them together at the same time drop the pixel per inch rate, this will result in a small map, hope that helps

The Explorer

Post by The Explorer » 10 June 12 8:30 pm

Hi

Whats bad about having to zoom into 33%? If it wasnt 33% it would just be some other number. Only issue I could imagine with being scanned at "too high a resolution" should be file size which may affect performance of the mapping program on less high powered display units. Ozf is best for OziExplorer anyway (well CE/Android version..not so much PC version) so even if you dont change the actual resolution to get rid of the annoying number 33 it is best to convert to ozf as suggested.

Cheers
Greg

ian-and-penny

Post by ian-and-penny » 11 June 12 9:33 am

The Explorer wrote:What's bad about having to zoom into 33%?
It's bad if what you expect to see at 100% is too pixellated to be of any use. Especially on a small netbook screen.
The Explorer wrote:If it wasnt 33% it would just be some other number.
Yep, 100%

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 11 June 12 9:42 am

what maps are you trying to use ? i have a HUGE resource of digital maps, might be able to help

ian-and-penny

Post by ian-and-penny » 11 June 12 10:12 am

Mr Router wrote:what maps are you trying to use ? i have a HUGE resource of digital maps, might be able to help
TopoMap SA

Kerry

Post by Kerry » 16 June 12 7:33 pm

There's really no such thing as an ECW that has been scanned at to high a resolution, all the higher resolution does is increase the file size dependent on the coverage area. ECW's with 10cm pixels make thins look real good, just got to have the system to handle the file size.

The Explorer

Post by The Explorer » 20 June 12 9:50 pm

ian-and-penny wrote:
The Explorer wrote:What's bad about having to zoom into 33%?
It's bad if what you expect to see at 100% is too pixellated to be of any use. Especially on a small netbook screen.
The Explorer wrote:If it wasnt 33% it would just be some other number.
Yep, 100%
Hi, my point is just use zoom that suits. If you modified the image to achieve a lower resolution it would just mean the zoom level would be different i.e. not 33 but 100%..so what? End result the same. Why exactly is viewing the image at 33% to see what you want to see a problem? Maybe I dont understand the issue?

Cheers
Greg

ian-and-penny

Post by ian-and-penny » 20 June 12 10:00 pm

If you have a 100% image you can zoom out to 33% to see the bigger picture.

If you have to start off at 33% (because 100% is just a blocky pixellated mess) then there isn't much opportunity to zoom out any further. (Less than half the zoom levels available.)

The Explorer

Post by The Explorer » 20 June 12 11:12 pm

ian-and-penny wrote:If you have a 100% image you can zoom out to 33% to see the bigger picture.

If you have to start off at 33% (because 100% is just a blocky pixellated mess) then there isn't much opportunity to zoom out any further. (Less than half the zoom levels available.)
Hi

Fair enough ..but initially you said "When displayed in OziExplorer I have to zoom down to 33% to have a usable view on the screen". Which suggested that 33% was fine but you didn’t like zooming out that far. Now you seem to be saying 33% is not good.

Also upon further consideration it seems your image has been scanned at too low a resolution if at 100% zoom it is pixelated, not too high a resolution as you initially suggested. There is no solution to this problem apart from rescanning the original image (or in the case of a digitally sourced/created image resaving from the original program) at a higher resolution.

Cheers
Greg