Garmin Plugin - unable to install

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Tuena
6500 or more caches found

Garmin Plugin - unable to install

Post by Tuena » 30 April 12 12:25 pm

I downloaded the Garmin Plugin to my new laptop & attempted to install it but get a warning that IE must be closed down. Closed everything to the point of only having the desktop open, started the install again but got the same message - there is nothing left to be closed down & nothing attached to the laptop apart from the power cord & wireless internet access.

I then shut down the laptop, waited & then tried again with only the desktop open but no go - IE must be closed despite not being opened.

Any ideas as to what is going on & how to overcome the problem would be appreciated.

I've searched the Garmin site but nothing helpful there.

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Re: Garmin Plugin - unable to install

Post by PesceVerde » 30 April 12 7:10 pm

Hi. Have you tried contacting Garmin? Could 'something' be running in the background.
Task Manager for XP: Start>Run>(type in taskmgr )>OK.
:?: :-k

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 30 April 12 9:11 pm

Thanks for that advice. I just checked & there were two apps running - this GCA session & the Garmin Communicator Plugin installer.

I'll contact Garmin & in the meantime use the GPX function to add a cache.

I still have the old laptop so I could use it but it's as slow as a wet week.

Lucy
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Lucy » 01 May 12 11:04 am

What version of Internet Explorer are you using, 64 bit or 32 bit? Garmin plugin will not work with the 64 bit version

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 01 May 12 5:43 pm

Been out & about today as you know - Rock-hopper has been the only finder so far - need to read the description (I hardly ever do) as there is a hint there.

All fixed now as despite not being able to install the plugin it decided to work anyway. Thanks to you both for your reply.