Moving map on PC using Garmin EtrexC

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
pprass
10000 or more caches found

Moving map on PC using Garmin EtrexC

Post by pprass » 03 April 12 12:19 pm

Wondering if someone can help an acquaintance of ours with a moving map question?

He writes:
I have OzTopo V2.1 installed in my Garman Nuvi 760 with maps showing all outback tracks and roads. I also have a Garmin EtrexC.

The software on my laptop is that Garman Base camp, but has no maps when I download my tracks?
What should I do to get a real neat system set up like what Geocachers use? Can you or someone help me get this set up?

If someone has had experience with this unit and software and can help Bill, I can forward you his contact details so that you can help him directly if that is easier.

Thanks
Peter

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Re: Moving map on PC using Garmin EtrexC

Post by PesceVerde » 03 April 12 3:42 pm

Compatible maps installed to PC (for Basecamp), Pocket Queries for bulk geocache downloads, and GSAK for management of cache files, might be a good start.

If you asked ten different people, you might get ten different answers. :) Is his question primarily about the software, hardware, or about geocaching? :?:

pprass

Post by pprass » 03 April 12 4:06 pm

I think "compatible maps" is what he is after. He wants to be able to download the tracks that he makes wth his Etrex and view them on his laptop, but currently he just sees a blank as he doesn't have any maps. Here is what he said as a follow up to a question:

"The EtrexC ....has a very basic map unsuitable for outback WA. It has a compass and logs tracks and I can download tracks to Laptop, but when I view the tracks they are on a blank sheet with no idea where these tracks are, eg, leonora or Marble Bar districts. I am doing some prospecting and will walk for hours with a GPS recording my tracks.

What I need is the maps on the laptop similar to what my Carman Navigator shows using OZ Topo V2.1

Then when I download my hand held walking GPS, I can see the tracks in relation to existing roads and off road tracks.

Hope this explains it better"

Is there a map of Western Australia that is available to download - shonky?

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found

Post by PesceVerde » 03 April 12 4:43 pm

Hi. For outback Western Australia, Shonkymaps is one of the better vector maps (apart from Garmin Topo and OzTopo).

OziExplorer mapping software (plus maps) for the laptop may be better than Basecamp for outback, but it's a whole new learning curve.
Cheers.

pprass

Post by pprass » 03 April 12 5:24 pm

Ok - thanks. I'll have a look at Shonkymaps.

pprass

Post by pprass » 03 April 12 5:31 pm

Just a question on Shonky maps - it says it is compatible with Garmin MapSource. Will it work with Garmin Basecamp?

blackie_71

Post by blackie_71 » 03 April 12 7:25 pm

Peter, I use shonky maps with Garmin Basecamp. I use Basecamp to view and import the shonky maps into the GPS. I'll show you what I do at the Mega event if you like. Shonkymaps have their limitations but they are free :D

pprass

Post by pprass » 03 April 12 7:45 pm

What -! Someone who lives close by can help! Amazing world we live in.

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found

Post by PesceVerde » 03 April 12 8:20 pm