Garmin Montana - SD card maps

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
FelixII
10000 or more caches found

Garmin Montana - SD card maps

Post by FelixII » 21 March 12 6:48 pm

Okaywe need help #-o

Bought new toy, we have extensive history with Magellan and struggling big time learning how to use Garmin.

Thought we had it all sorted, it was working when we went away for the weekend and then just stopped.

we bought the Topo maps on SD card.

Now it seems that we have turned the topo maps off??? because it cannot navigate anywhere by road. Just keeps saying no roads to navigate on? ](*,)

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found

Re: Garmin Montana - SD card maps

Post by quiet1_au » 21 March 12 7:55 pm

I'm not sure about the routing side of Garmins, but the Setup - Maps - Map Information is where you can turn maps on and off. If you change profiles - eg from geocaching to recreational or vice versa - the map data doesn't necessarily come through, I think each profile has independent settings. That would be a good first place to look, and there may be routing settings there too.

BaldEd
6500 or more caches found

Post by BaldEd » 22 March 12 5:50 pm

Yes, Each profile has it's own settings. Seeing you are travelling by road select the Automotive Profile then press Map> Setup Map > Map Information and Enable the topo map- I take it that the map you have on the microSD card is The Garmin Australia & New Zealand TOPO v3 which is routeable.

FelixII

Post by FelixII » 24 March 12 12:16 am

yes that is the topo maps we have.

but the maps aren't coming up as selectable anymore?

Will try again as suggested but it's almost like the card has been corrupted?

BaldEd

Post by BaldEd » 24 March 12 6:00 am

Have you taken the card out and then reseated it? Do this with the gps powered down, then power back up.

FelixII

Post by FelixII » 28 March 12 3:29 am

Yep tried all that and some.

Looks like Garmin might be replacing the SD card now.

Here;s hoping....... :-&

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 28 March 12 8:11 am

Have you tried another sd card in the unit, it may be the car read in the Montana.

use another card and add some OSM or shonkymaps and see if that will load or show on screen

Another question, Does the Montana come with any maps at all ?

if so did you turn these maps off.

FelixII

Post by FelixII » 13 April 12 6:14 pm

=D> Thanks for all the helpful posts! It has taken sometime but finally we have a new SD card and all seems well!

=; However a word of warning! We bought the unit as a complete package from a company online who say they are licensed Garmin wholesalers and whilst the unit and everything arrived ontime and initially worked, unfortunate that it stopped for a time. But anyways appartently they are certainly not licenced by Garmin.

Hence Garmin started helping us then fobbed us off back to the company we bought from forcing us to use a middle man? :-&

Anyway problem resolved, but all is not necessarily what it seems when buying off the net. :-"

quiet1_au

Post by quiet1_au » 13 April 12 7:22 pm

FelixII wrote:=D> Thanks for all the helpful posts! It has taken sometime but finally we have a new SD card and all seems well!

=; However a word of warning! We bought the unit as a complete package from a company online who say they are licensed Garmin wholesalers and whilst the unit and everything arrived ontime and initially worked, unfortunate that it stopped for a time. But anyways appartently they are certainly not licenced by Garmin.

Hence Garmin started helping us then fobbed us off back to the company we bought from forcing us to use a middle man? :-&

Anyway problem resolved, but all is not necessarily what it seems when buying off the net. :-"

Garmin weren't much help when I was looking in to repairing my dropped Oregon. In the US there's a reasonable flat-fee changeover repair price, but here the price I was quoted was as much as a new unit!... Consequently I looked around at other options but eventually settled for another Oregon 550 that was at a special price at the time - cheaper even than the 450 as I recall. I've been taking more care about keeping the wrist strap on me with this one. (Although I've noticed it is starting to fray so I will have to locate my spare straps - I bought 5 cheapies of eBay from Hong Kong somewhere)

:-$

FelixII

Post by FelixII » 05 May 12 7:18 pm

:x :shock: Ugggh! It's failed again.

Sent the unit and the SD card back this time. waiting for a replacement unit now! :-"

FelixII

Post by FelixII » 28 May 12 7:02 pm

Trying again. New unit just arrived! :roll:

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 04 June 12 6:11 pm

FelixII wrote:Trying again. New unit just arrived! :roll:
All okay now?

pprass

Post by pprass » 08 July 12 10:59 am

FelixII wrote:Bought new toy, we have extensive history with Magellan...
Hey! Have you already worn out your eXplorist 610? Gosh - you have been hard at it haven't you :lol:

If it is any consulation, a friend of ours who uses a Montana, had it replaced 4 times before he got one that worked without breaking down. :-k