Connecting Garmin Dakota to Ipad

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Ozibags
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Connecting Garmin Dakota to Ipad

Post by Ozibags » 10 December 11 10:14 am

I'm considering getting an Ipad2, but note it doesn't have a USB port. Apple have a camera kit accessory with a USB port available. Will my Garmin Dakota be able to connect with the Ipad using this accessory?

I want to be able to upload pocket queries via GSAK from Ipad to my hand-held Dakota GPSr. How do others do this?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Connecting Garmin Dakota to Ipad

Post by CraigRat » 10 December 11 10:16 am

I'm not too sure you can mount mass-storage on an ipad.

I can do this on my Android Tablet just fine, but I showed my mate what I was doing and he said it couldn't be done on the iPad.

That said, someone may prove me wrong.

If you can do it, what I do is I export a GPX from my computer to my Dropbox account and have the tablet sync with that, and then copy the GPX on the tablet to the GPS (though usually I just plug the GPS in to the PC, saves a step)

I did a tutorial over on one of my sites, it would be similar(ish) on the ipad:http://androidcaching.com/?p=546

darth trader
800 or more hollow logs searched
Twitter: darthtrader77

Post by darth trader » 11 December 11 4:01 pm

There is a good iPad app called igeoknife that opens *.gpx files and can also be set up to update with your whole GSAK database file upon sync.

darth trader
Twitter: darthtrader77

Post by darth trader » 11 December 11 4:04 pm

But no. I can't store GPX files and move them to my gps from my iPad. I need to plan my trip well and have the files on my GPS or store the info on the Idevice and program the gps with co-ordinates.