Logging caches on the road / How do YOU use GSAK?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Re: Logging caches on the road / How do YOU use GSAK?

Post by gmj3191 » 07 November 11 4:27 pm

PacketStorm4 wrote:Thanks for all the replies people,
Regarding the Smartphone, I / We do have a smart phone but i feel that it is much harder to keep track and log on these little devices.
Not to mention that coverage is usually an issue (yes even with Telstra) and the logs would be brief and short.
I cannot agree more with writing a good log, however they would be reviewed once we arrive home to add pictures or other things
Cheers!
The good thing about doing a brief log with a smartphone is
a) It records your caches in gc.com in the correct order they were found
b) It helps to ensure a log for every cache you find
You can edit them later to say you were going to say, and get the best of all worlds.

andiamo
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by andiamo » 07 November 11 8:33 pm

gmj3191 wrote:The good thing about doing a brief log with a smartphone is ... You can edit them later to say you were going to say, and get the best of all worlds.
except that the cache owner only receives your original log via email and will not see the edited log unless they visit the actual cache page and re-read your log

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 November 11 8:56 pm

andiamo wrote:
gmj3191 wrote:The good thing about doing a brief log with a smartphone is ... You can edit them later to say you were going to say, and get the best of all worlds.
except that the cache owner only receives your original log via email and will not see the edited log unless they visit the actual cache page and re-read your log
And you get the hideous "edited by blah blah blah" line. If I do that in the field, I delete it when I get home and re-log it. At GCA we don't have that line, so I'm happy to edit the log here rather than delete and submit.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 07 November 11 9:16 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
andiamo wrote:
And you get the hideous "edited by blah blah blah" line. If I do that in the field, I delete it when I get home and re-log it.
If you do that you need to worry about the order of your logs as it can change if you're not careful.
It's easier to be tough skinned. 8)

There is no perfect solution, we live in a world of compromises. It becomes difficult logging in the field if you're caching with home loggers too because that extra minute to log it means you're eating their dust on the way to the next cache. You just have to decide what works best for you.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 November 11 9:44 pm

gmj3191 wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
andiamo wrote:
And you get the hideous "edited by blah blah blah" line. If I do that in the field, I delete it when I get home and re-log it.
If you do that you need to worry about the order of your logs as it can change if you're not careful.
It's easier to be tough skinned. 8)

There is no perfect solution, we live in a world of compromises. It becomes difficult logging in the field if you're caching with home loggers too because that extra minute to log it means you're eating their dust on the way to the next cache. You just have to decide what works best for you.
I very, very rarely log in the field. I only recall it twice and I deleted both logs and relogged them in order. I wish GC would do away with the edit by line. It shows the age of the technology in use (based on forum software).

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 07 November 11 11:20 pm

caughtatwork wrote: I very, very rarely log in the field. I only recall it twice and I deleted both logs and relogged them in order. I wish GC would do away with the edit by line. It shows the age of the technology in use (based on forum software).
Yes, and if you make a second edit the sneaky site will put another one in, and if you don't delete the first one, you'll wind up with two.

PacketStorm4

Post by PacketStorm4 » 22 November 11 2:03 pm

Ended up picking up a HP netbook for Geocaching in the car.
Need to purchase GSAK and have a play with it.

*Watching out the window for the postie to arrive*

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 26 November 11 1:18 pm

My strategy is changing somewhat.
I used to take my eeePC with me on trips with GSAK on it, but it has now become dedicated to uploading my Solar PV system live performance details to PVOutput.org, so now I do the following.
Before I go I prepare a list of caches using a GSAK filter (polygon plus) and load them into my Oregon.
I also print the list of caches in the order I'll do them, usually along a highway.
I use my HTC Desire and Google Navigation to get me to the cache, then use my Oregon to find it.
I have been using c:geo (with Swype of course) to log them, but I'm being I'm being swayed by the GC.com app which has improved greatly and lets me log finds, discovers, drops of trackables too.
When I log them the logs are based on a template in c:geo (can't do that yet in gc.com app).
If the cache is worthy of a longer log I do that later when I'm online.