garminmap62

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
GrahamT

garminmap62

Post by GrahamT » 23 October 11 7:48 pm

I bought a GarminMap62 in January 2011. It went well until 30th June. in conversation with another cacher I had loaded open street maps for Sweden where I was about to visit. Then...although I had 20+ caches files on the device only 3 appeared on the screen no matter what I did. I loaded again - to have the message these files exist do I want to overwrite. It went back to Garmin 3 times and was finally replaced as 'they' couldn't solve the problem. Loaded a bunch of caches plus OSMaps for Vic/NSW to cover a trip to Broken Hill from Melbourne and the new one went haywire. deleted OSMaps and caches and reloaded the latter - using base maps things went well on the trip and since until today (23/10) where 2 caches appeared when there were 11 loaded. Fortunately I was at an event where another cacher loaded all caches in a 50 km radius direct from his Ipad...and things have worked for the rest of the day. I emailed OSM but have not had an answer... Any suggestions as to what is happening? (Don't want to send another back to Garmin!!). Is it not possible to use non Garmin maps on a device like this one? Why should that be so?
Look forward to ideas comments suggestions - especially if I can get maps without paying Garmin prices, and certainly if it means all caches appear on the screen.
Thanks in anticipation GrahamT

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Re: garminmap62

Post by PesceVerde » 25 October 11 7:56 pm

Hi. A very similar issue has been discussed at http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/show ... hp?t=19817 in the GPSAustralia Geocaching section.

In my experience Garmin isn't too fond of customers using third party maps (like OSM) in Garmin devices, although it happens all the time mostly without incident. Have even encountered the opinion that third party maps are 'the problem'.

Do you have the latest software/firmware update installed to your GPSmap 62? (v3.40 I think)
If not, you can download the WebUpdater tool from the Garmin site.
:)

GrahamT

Post by GrahamT » 25 October 11 8:20 pm

The not favourable response was just what I got when I first spoke with Garmin in Sydney. and somehow I don't think the guy at the other end actually caught on to what the problem was. It is very much the story on the other form you sent me to! I was about ready to dance on top of the GPS on Sunday when only 2 caches appeared in the list. Will follow up with the software update process. I have been a tad anxious that anything I do might increase problems. And however unhappy garmin are that they can't sell me their maps, it is frustrating that something may be linked here. Will post the results of software updates as well as look out for more suggestions. Thanks heaps for your time.

GrahamT

Post by GrahamT » 15 November 11 5:41 pm

Strange things have been happening after receiving some help from fellow cachers. I have had 2 occasions when caches did NOT appear in the on screen list. Forgot the way I addressed that the first time and was caught out again at the weekend. What I have done is copy contents of GPX folder on the GarminMap62 to a file on my computer, delete the contents of the folder on the device and then copy back from the computer. Lo and behold there are the files for the two caches that didn't appear on the list at the weekend. Seems like a tedious way of doing things but if it stops me being in the field with an incomplete list appearing on the screen I'll do it until someone comes up with a better idea. Just hate not getting the prompts for a cache when I know I am in the vicinity of it!
Forgot to mention I had trouble loading the OSMaps and received help by means of a disc that contained Oz/NZ which I copied to computer and then the device and I have the maps working well.