Getting photos off the Oregon 550

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found

Getting photos off the Oregon 550

Post by MtnLioness » 24 September 11 10:05 pm

Just wondering if I'm doing things the hard way or if there is another way I don't know about..
When I take a pic of a survey mark, this wonderful devise marks the co-ords of where it was taken, (I marvel at this because my inept Oregon 200 does not have this capability) My Point is, when I go to log a find on the marks I have found, I have to go into the pics and read the co-ords off the details of the pic, then plug in the GPS and match up the pics to the coords and hopefully get the right one.
Is there a way of uploading both the pic and the details together somehow?
It just seems like the same amount of hassle as getting the pic off the camera and getting the co-ords off the waypoint I made on the GPS like what I used to do with the aforementioned Oregon 200.

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Re: Getting photos off the Oregon 550

Post by Chwiliwr » 24 September 11 11:59 pm

MtnLioness wrote:Just wondering if I'm doing things the hard way or if there is another way I don't know about..
When I take a pic of a survey mark, this wonderful devise marks the co-ords of where it was taken, (I marvel at this because my inept Oregon 200 does not have this capability) My Point is, when I go to log a find on the marks I have found, I have to go into the pics and read the co-ords off the details of the pic, then plug in the GPS and match up the pics to the coords and hopefully get the right one.
Is there a way of uploading both the pic and the details together somehow?
It just seems like the same amount of hassle as getting the pic off the camera and getting the co-ords off the waypoint I made on the GPS like what I used to do with the aforementioned Oregon 200.
I take my pictures off the GPS and onto my win7 PC. In explorer I make sure that the columns for the date/time picture was taken are visible as I can generally remember when I was at a particular point. If there is any doubt I check the properties of the file and scroll down the details tab to see the GPS info for that particular picture which give me the lat/lon where it was taken.

Hope that helps.

kittykittykitty
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by kittykittykitty » 25 September 11 8:20 am

Picassa ( free) will pull the photos off for you, organise them, let you access the properties easily (for all the details), and will show you the location in google maps while you look at the photos. Basecamp will also do more or less the same but does not move/copy the photos and only shows thumbnails.

We use picassa.

honeysucker
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by honeysucker » 06 October 11 11:26 pm

i think your background is the best Tamara

MtnLioness

Post by MtnLioness » 15 October 11 5:33 pm

Of your ugly mug?
GAH!!
Took me days to figure out it was even there then I had to remember how to get rid of it!

Ya sly dog!