Data Cables - Making you Own

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
jedi4

Data Cables - Making you Own

Post by jedi4 » 22 October 04 12:43 pm

Does anyone have information on how to make a combined data/power cable out of a data cable and a power cable for a Magellan 330?<br><br>

I have purchase both (the data cable came with it), but I would like to plice the power cable onto the data cable, so that I can use it in the car with the Laptop and no batteries.<br><br>

Any Ideas?? Thanks.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 22 October 04 1:13 pm

I just did a google search "magellan 330 pinout" (without the quotes) and found on one page:

Pinout: If you look at the back of the unit's contacts and number them from left to right as 1,2,3,4 then:

315/320/330 Contacts Other connections
1 = Data in (pin 3 on DB-9) yellow wire.
2 = Regulated 3.86vdc, red wire.
3 = Ground (pin 5 on DB-9) and ground on cigarette-lighter plug, black wire.
4 = Data out (pin 2 on DB-9) orange wire.

Hope that helps. Should be pretty straight forward, though I'm not sure about whether you can safely have the ground pin connected on both the data and power without some additional components. There are plenty of electronics nuts around who will surely know and reply below. :)

- Rog

jedi4

Post by jedi4 » 22 October 04 3:22 pm

Thanks for that. It certainly helps. I think I googled myself out! Although I didn't look for wiring, I might have been asking the wrong questions in Google!

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 22 October 04 4:14 pm

you might need to google the right questions ;)