new GCA android app

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
lemmykc
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Re: new GCA android app

Post by lemmykc » 09 December 11 9:23 pm

Quick question (sorry, I am not sure if it has been answered yet), but have you considered making an iOS version? Or is it more difficult to program for iOS?? It seems that Android has a lot of caching apps, in fact more than double that of iOS. Is this because it is easier to program for Android than iOS??

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 09 December 11 9:42 pm

I think it is more expensive to make an iOS app... Hopefully someone can correct me if i'm wrong... :)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 December 11 10:14 pm

I won't speak for mtrax, but ...

Android apps are standard Java programs http://developer.android.com/guide/basi ... droid.html
iOS apps are written in Objective-C http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_SDK which costs monies.

There is a big difference in development for the two platforms.
Also, the GCA API does not provide data to iOS apps. Just kidding.

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 09 December 11 10:15 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:I think it is more expensive to make an iOS app... Hopefully someone can correct me if i'm wrong... :)
It costs nothing to develop a program (except for a lot of time and dedication) but to distribute it (which is really the whole reason that you would develop an app!) you need to sign up to the ios developer program. This costs $99 a year, but also gives you access to code samples, the SDK, technical doco, training videos, and a bit more.
You can then deploy applications to test devices, and then eventually submit them to the store to be published.

There are also free resources available on the iuniversity (not just ios dev, but a wide range of topics) to get you started and take you through building your first basic program and getting you familiar with the way things bolt together. Naturally there is also an abundance of info available on the rest of the net too! :D

FelixII

Post by FelixII » 10 December 11 1:20 am

I must say the movable cache race this year is so much better for those of us with Android phones and your app. Thanks so much!
Yep we love it. Can't wait for the upgrade to be able to 'move' the frogs though! Great job, please keep it up. :frog :frogette

Having some trouble reading the co-ords though on the black background! For those of us who need glasses :-"

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 10 December 11 7:21 am

FelixII wrote:
I must say the movable cache race this year is so much better for those of us with Android phones and your app. Thanks so much!
Yep we love it. Can't wait for the upgrade to be able to 'move' the frogs though! Great job, please keep it up. :frog :frogette

Having some trouble reading the co-ords though on the black background! For those of us who need glasses :-"
Thanks the move feature is due out very soon, but as to your issue with readability is white background better or is it the text size?

Taiko'sFamily

Post by Taiko'sFamily » 10 December 11 8:15 am

Are you having any time to move frogs yourself mtrax? Or too busy keeping up with all our requests. Hope you are getting a chance to play too :D

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 10 December 11 6:43 pm

Taiko'sFamily wrote:Are you having any time to move frogs yourself mtrax? Or too busy keeping up with all our requests. Hope you are getting a chance to play too :D
No I got my 2nd Frog today, but almost done with the Moved feature, butr first version will require a "real" GPS to code Coordinates from that way we can hopefully get a better quality hide.
Perhaps in a future release I'll make available directly from the phone.. so small steps...

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 10 December 11 7:58 pm

New version is Up:

Main new feature is the "Moved" log is now supported and some more stability fixes.

Let us know how the new feature goes, but will enhance it over the coming weeks/months..

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 December 11 9:34 pm

Woah, I like the entry capability for the new co-ords. Quite simple and very nice.

Taiko'sFamily

Post by Taiko'sFamily » 10 December 11 9:39 pm

I can't play anymore - baby put my phone in dogs water bowl :( ](*,)

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 11 December 11 1:51 am

Freaking Awesome! :D

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 11 December 11 7:26 am

Taiko'sFamily wrote:I can't play anymore - baby put my phone in dogs water bowl :( ](*,)
I'm not sure the app was meant to to that,perhap your using incorrectly :lol:
But you could try drying out in a bag of uncooked rice for a couple of days that might raise it from the dead

FelixII

Post by FelixII » 11 December 11 10:11 am

FelixII wrote:
Quote:

Having some trouble reading the co-ords though on the black background! For those of us who need glasses

MTrax:
, but as to your issue with readability is white background better or is it the text size?

It seems to be the white writing, but it is also the size! Getting old I guess #-o

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 11 December 11 10:31 am

I must admit I find it hard to read the screen, especially the text that is in the lighter darker greys if there's any sunlight about