new GCA android app

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
caughtatwork

Re: new GCA android app

Post by caughtatwork » 01 December 11 9:37 pm

The Tardis Trio wrote:=D> =D> I'm so much more technological this year. Searching for and logging CGA caches in the field on a Galaxy II. And getting twitter feed on the phone of others moving and logging GCA. Such a leap forward from last year (pun intended) \:D/ \:D/
It's sweet isn't it. I'm very impressed with the app.

I was never one for this sort of technology, but actually using GA Cacher in the field (albeit on those tiny touch screen keys) is actually quite easy. Not quite as verbose as the full size keyboard, but really handy.

Having the ability to refresh a single cache is nice as well. You then (may) know that someone has beaten you to it.

mtrax needs a lot of thanks from everyone who uses this app. It's free after all and you can't get better than that.

The Tardis Trio
2500 or more caches found
Twitter: dpeters101

Post by The Tardis Trio » 01 December 11 10:07 pm

caughtatwork wrote:mtrax needs a lot of thanks from everyone who uses this app. It's free after all and you can't get better than that.
Indeed. =D> =D>

I use swype as the keyboard and find its very good for logging caches in the field (both GC & GCA). It solves the problem of big fingers on a small keyboard for me.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 02 December 11 8:29 am

minor bug with Refresh fixed.. :mrgreen: it was updating but not refreshing actually screen new version is up, otherwise hitting back and open cache will show updated cache

s_mc500
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by s_mc500 » 02 December 11 9:33 am

I've been using the GA Cacher app and it is very good especially with the moving cache race. I've had a few issues with data connection or something and it force closes the app, not sure if this is phone or app related so I updated the firmware on my phone, cleared a bunch of apps to free up memory and see how I go - it works perfectly at my desk at work, just in the field (when you need it) it has issues. I'll try again later today.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 02 December 11 9:54 am

s_mc500 wrote:I've been using the GA Cacher app and it is very good especially with the moving cache race. I've had a few issues with data connection or something and it force closes the app, not sure if this is phone or app related so I updated the firmware on my phone, cleared a bunch of apps to free up memory and see how I go - it works perfectly at my desk at work, just in the field (when you need it) it has issues. I'll try again later today.
thanks for the feedback, I'd be interested to see what the causes problems in the field but I would suspect signal quality perhaps but if you do get the issues repeating try and capture the log files or "report" the failure.
happy hunting..

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 December 11 10:17 pm

The GA Cacher app continues to be fantastic. I logged 15 in the field tonight, hopefully saving someone the trip down to Avalon when they were all in the boot of my car. I could also instantly see that others which were near had been found since I left home, so I didn't need to check them.

Cached

Post by Cached » 02 December 11 10:21 pm

Hiya,

Loving the app, simple and easy to use. However, I'm having trouble finding a "compass" app. I tried Locus Free, but it seems to give spurious distances, like 11km when I can see the frog sitting in front of me. I tried it again tonight and have uninstalled in disgust. I see the App "GPS Status Radar" referred to throughout the discussion, but I can't work out which it is in the market.

Can you post a hyperlink to a simple compass app that will work? Nobody else seems to be noting this issue, so I'm sure it's just me!

Also, as a suggestion, can you add a functionality to be able to mark a waypoint for a moving cache? I dropped a frog in the field today, and had to wait until I got home to log him as the coords were hard to move around.

Thanks heaps - great effort!

Cached (who is, contrary to popular belief, alive and living in Launceston.)

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 02 December 11 10:28 pm

Try gps status its a basic design but works

Cached

Post by Cached » 02 December 11 10:31 pm

Yes, but can you give me a link? I'm not finding anything with that name...

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 December 11 10:33 pm

Cached wrote:Hiya,

Loving the app, simple and easy to use. However, I'm having trouble finding a "compass" app. I tried Locus Free, but it seems to give spurious distances, like 11km when I can see the frog sitting in front of me. I tried it again tonight and have uninstalled in disgust. I see the App "GPS Status Radar" referred to throughout the discussion, but I can't work out which it is in the market.

Can you post a hyperlink to a simple compass app that will work? Nobody else seems to be noting this issue, so I'm sure it's just me!

Also, as a suggestion, can you add a functionality to be able to mark a waypoint for a moving cache? I dropped a frog in the field today, and had to wait until I got home to log him as the coords were hard to move around.

Thanks heaps - great effort!

Cached (who is, contrary to popular belief, alive and living in Launceston.)
Until Locus is locked onto the satellites it will use Assisted GPS from the mobile phone network. Locus still wanders all over for me and points in the wrong direction half the time, so I use it, but only because I have found nothing better.

Cached

Post by Cached » 02 December 11 10:37 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Until Locus is locked onto the satellites it will use Assisted GPS from the mobile phone network. Locus still wanders all over for me and points in the wrong direction half the time, so I use it, but only because I have found nothing better.
I'd been driving for about half an hour, and it didn't seem to be updating at all - pretty sure I had sats. Google Nav was spot on the money, but no good for those last meters.

Oh, the Phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 December 11 10:41 pm

I got the same phone. I don't trust the thing if I have my GPS with me, but for the occasional frog, it's (mostly) OK. If someone does have something better than Locus, I'd also like to know.

Cached

Post by Cached » 02 December 11 10:46 pm

GPS Status & Toolbox seems to work. Will hunt down a frog tomorrow to check.

Thanks

Cached

Cached

Post by Cached » 02 December 11 10:48 pm

caughtatwork wrote:I got the same phone. I don't trust the thing if I have my GPS with me, but for the occasional frog, it's (mostly) OK. If someone does have something better than Locus, I'd also like to know.
Unfortunately we're still mid move. I'm in Tas, and hubby and kids are in SA. He had the motorbike and we use the Oregon on it, so the Oregon is still over the other side of the ditch. Will be nice to have my family (and the oregon) back next week - it's only been 3 months!

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 02 December 11 11:03 pm