new GCA android app

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
zactyl

Re: new GCA android app

Post by zactyl » 21 October 11 1:28 am

Launching the browser to log works great :)
I've found a bug when long pressing on the cache list, if the list order has changed because I've moved, the long press launches options for the cache that was previously in that position on the list.
eg I launch GA Cacher in Mullumbimby, so my list is
1.Mullumbimby ICEM
2.Brunswick-Devine Lookout, Ocean Shores, NSW
3.Tyagarah Rest Area
Then drive to Tyagarah, back out of the list and then return to it, it reorders to
1.Tyagarah Rest Area
3.Mullumbimby ICEM
If I long press the third cache in the list (Mullumbimby ICEM) I get the options for the third cache in the previous list (Tyagarah Rest Area).
Hope that's clear enough :)

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 21 October 11 8:31 am

zactyl wrote:Launching the browser to log works great :)
I've found a bug when long pressing on the cache list, if the list order has changed because I've moved, the long press launches options for the cache that was previously in that position on the list.
eg I launch GA Cacher in Mullumbimby, so my list is
1.Mullumbimby ICEM
3.Tyagarah Rest Area
Then drive to Tyagarah, back out of the list and then return to it, it reorders to
1.Tyagarah Rest Area
3.Mullumbimby ICEM
If I long press the third cache in the list (Mullumbimby ICEM) I get the options for the third cache in the previous list (Tyagarah Rest Area).
Hope that's clear enough :)
ok got it, fixed , new version should be available on Market now.
thanks for the report.

Taiko'sFamily

Post by Taiko'sFamily » 13 November 11 10:26 am

Have just downloaded the app, which seems great - but am having one problem

In settings I can't change the filter - when I touch the arrow next to cache type nothing happens, I have tried unticking the load all box but still get no other options.

I am using nuvifone asus a50

It isn't a big problem, but as I live in the blue mtns we are kind of overloaded with trigs up here

thanks, Jenny

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 13 November 11 5:05 pm

try touching the Label or text to the left of the arrow.. , but I'll see if I can fix that too.

Taiko'sFamily

Post by Taiko'sFamily » 13 November 11 5:17 pm

we headed out today and using the app and locus found 3 gca caches, all ftf which was great

ruralslicker
Location: Churchill Vic 3842 (Latrobe Valley) 160 km east of Melbourne

Post by ruralslicker » 14 November 11 1:30 pm

Only had my new Android phone (Garmin Asus A50 nuvifone) a few days, so it's a bit of a learning curve.

I've downloaded a "vic.gpx" GCA PQ, and put that on the SD card. The app is installed on the phone itself. When I open the app offline to import the caches, I get an error message "cannot load caches location unknown or no Internet". I was hoping I could load the caches offline from the PQ. Can GA Cacher Beta only load with an online data connection?

Great to have this app anyway - thanks mtrax =D>

(FWIW I can download the whole "vic.gpx" into NeonGeo off line. All 663 show up separately as POI's)

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 14 November 11 1:42 pm

ruralslicker wrote:Only had my new Android phone (Garmin Asus A50 nuvifone) a few days, so it's a bit of a learning curve.
I've downloaded a "vic.gpx" GCA PQ, and put that on the SD card. The app is installed on the phone itself. When I open the app offline to import the caches, I get an error message "cannot load caches location unknown or no Internet". I was hoping I could load the caches offline from the PQ. Can GA Cacher Beta only load with an online data connection?

(FWIW I can download the whole "vic.gpx" into NeonGeo off line. All 663 show up separately as POI's)
GA cacher can't load GPX files, but it does save geocache data (when you use the LOAD button) so it should work in a offline mode but can only load the nearest 200 caches, and of course can't display google map offline , so I would suggest using Locus for that.

Paul

ruralslicker

Post by ruralslicker » 14 November 11 2:58 pm

mtrax wrote:
ruralslicker wrote: GA cacher can't load GPX files, but it does save geocache data
Paul
Thanks for clearing that up Paul :) . I can already scroll a list of all the Vic GCA caches with their co-ords which I can click on and go straight there offline. The reason is my smartphone is also a full fledged GPS with Garmin maps, so I don't need to worry about getting any more of them such as Locus. This means I can also automatically geotag any geocaching photos I take.

I'm mainly wanting your app for the info and logs which I can take with me pre-loaded and access out in the field, or update live.

Will give it a try in the next few days. Not many GCA caches out here :x

ruralslicker

Post by ruralslicker » 16 November 11 10:36 am

I've now loaded the geocache data live - certainly extremely useful to now have it on the phone!

My only concern so far is that the name of the owner of one cache I've found in the Gippsland area here has apparently been shortened or is obscured. On my phone screen for GA3291 I see xxxxxx as the cache owner, but that person lives in Europe.

I have met the above local cache owner and he uses a slightly longer name xxxxxx.x as shown on the website. Could get confusing if there are possibly any other entries like this.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 16 November 11 10:39 am

thanks I'll see what I can do about handling longer names in that field.

ruralslicker

Post by ruralslicker » 16 November 11 10:58 am

My name is slightly longer but not cropped - see GA3448.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 16 November 11 11:15 am

ruralslicker wrote:I've now loaded the geocache data live - certainly extremely useful to now have it on the phone!

My only concern so far is that the name of the owner of one cache I've found in the Gippsland area here has apparently been shortened or is obscured. On my phone screen for GA3291 I see xxxxxx as the cache owner, but that person lives in Europe.

I have met the above local cache owner and he uses a slightly longer name xxxxxx.x as shown on the website. Could get confusing if there are possibly any other entries like this.
"owner":"Poiter","placed_by":"Poiter.h"
I'm guessing the owner is being displayed, not the placed_by.
Further thing to note is that GC owners and GCA owners are independent.
So Poiter at the GCA site is NOT the same person at Poiter at the GC site.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 19 November 11 8:28 am

Taiko'sFamily wrote:Have just downloaded the app, which seems great - but am having one problem

In settings I can't change the filter - when I touch the arrow next to cache type nothing happens, I have tried unticking the load all box but still get no other option
It isn't a big problem, but as I live in the blue mtns we are kind of overloaded with trigs up here

thanks, Jenny
Fixed latest release should be on the market now

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 19 November 11 4:04 pm

ruralslicker wrote:Only had my new Android phone (Garmin Asus A50 nuvifone) a few days, so it's a bit of a learning curve.

Did you rate the app a 1 in the market because it can't download GPX files????
That's a bit rough, given it doesn't claim to be able to.................

ruralslicker

Post by ruralslicker » 20 November 11 8:38 am

:)
Last edited by ruralslicker on 20 November 11 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.