new GCA android app

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
mtrax

Re: new GCA android app

Post by mtrax » 04 September 11 4:21 pm

gmj3191 wrote:
mtrax wrote:
gmj3191 wrote:I'm not sure what it is, but I can't run this app from my SD Card, it will only reside in phone memory.
Is it possible to change something so it can go onto the SD Card?.
I haven't got install to SD card supported for this app yet.

ie it needs to supported by the app
Is this a hard thing to do? I'd be interested to know what the restriction is.
Thanks.,
this is a Android 2.2 feature and I'll have to do a bit of research on what effect or if will still work in Android 2.1 devices.
ie this might knock out support for some people

note new update to support loading of more caches and Trig is now excluded at the server so number of caches returned should be as specified in settings

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 04 September 11 8:41 pm

This is fantastic mtrax, haven't been caching with it yet but it worked perfectly loading caches and navigating with Locus. Thanks for all your work and $ to put it on the Android Market, and Caughtatwork and Craigrat for the Geocaching Australia side of things :)

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 05 September 11 7:08 am

Seems to be working over here! My closest GCA cache is a Gnome in Amsterdam hehehe

This will be a God Send during the next cache race this summer. Especially if lots of people use it as you will be able to drop and collect Gnomes... sorry caches... instantly! :D

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 05 September 11 2:33 pm

Bug: Compass Directions reversed in list of caches, eg N instead of S, E instead of W. Also reversed in Bearing in the Navigation section on the Geocache Details page.
Found a cache with GA Cacher! For some reason Locus Free didn't count down the distance, it stayed stuck on what it was when I opened it, but corrected when I restarted it.
Be good to have the compass needle integrated in GA Cacher, but I imagine that's already on your list :)
I do want the app to "Load geocaches on Start" to get a fresh list but really only the first time I open it today, I don't think it needs to hit the server every time I start the app, there's always the Refresh button for that.
App consistently crashes when I go to the map and click on the bullseye and select "Details". Can send you a Report if it helps.
Using HTC Incredible S with Android 2.3.3
I'm really impressed with how polished the app looks! Very nicely done :)

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 05 September 11 6:32 pm

zactyl wrote:Bug: Compass Directions reversed in list of caches, eg N instead of S, E instead of W. Also reversed in Bearing in the Navigation section on the Geocache Details page.
actually the code is correct but the BUG is calculating the bearing from Cache to you!.. not very useful I'll fix that and upload a new release tonight.
zactyl wrote: Found a cache with GA Cacher! For some reason Locus Free didn't count down the distance, it stayed stuck on what it was when I opened it, but corrected when I restarted it.
Be good to have the compass needle integrated in GA Cacher, but I imagine that's already on your list :)
yep
zactyl wrote: I do want the app to "Load geocaches on Start" to get a fresh list but really only the first time I open it today, I don't think it needs to hit the server every time I start the app, there's always the Refresh button for that.
App consistently crashes when I go to the map and click on the bullseye and select "Details". Can send you a Report if it helps.
I've found that bug and fixed that too!! :D thanks for reporting.
but FYI yes if you can capture your log file straight after the crash and email to me please thanks, you can use alogcat or any other syslog capture app.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 05 September 11 7:29 pm

Looking good! I changed the settings from 20 to 200, excluded trigs, refreshed and got a message saying 200 caches loaded, but only 20 in the list. Had to restart and refresh to get the 200 showing.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 05 September 11 8:15 pm

zactyl wrote:Looking good! I changed the settings from 20 to 200, excluded trigs, refreshed and got a message saying 200 caches loaded, but only 20 in the list. Had to restart and refresh to get the 200 showing.
thanks for your testing that bug has been squashed too .. new release pushed..

Code1
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by Code1 » 09 September 11 5:02 pm

After getting my first android phone the other day, I came across this app in the market while looking at other caching app's.
A quick trip to the forums and after reading this thread I downloaded it and must say I'm quite impressed with it.
Being able to filter out the trig's is great and I even picked up my first cache with it today.

Look's like I'll be finding more GCA caches from now on.
Thanks mtrax for the great work =D> .

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 11 September 11 11:48 pm

Mtrax - I was able to use your earlier version, but this one doesn't want to install on my phone. I have an HTC Wildfire S running Gingerbread.

The message I get is

Code: Select all

Installation error:
Package file was not signed correctly.
Thoughts?

P.S. I have checked the Unknown sources option in Applications settings.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 12 September 11 7:39 am

spindoc,I think you have my alpha version(ie not market signed), so you need to uninstall it and then install the latest market version

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 12 September 11 9:23 am

Right you are. Working a treat now.

kennythe1st

Post by kennythe1st » 12 September 11 7:42 pm

I can find the app via Google on my desktop but when I search in Market on my Android for GA Cacher beta, I get a null return.

I'm new to the Android so maybe my search term is incorrect in some way :?:

Kenny

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 12 September 11 8:17 pm

check out link in the first post, thanks

kennythe1st

Post by kennythe1st » 12 September 11 9:15 pm

mtrax wrote:check out link in the first post, thanks
Like 'The App name currently is "GA Cacher beta" ...' ?

Gee Mtrax, I'venever been good at puzzles. I guess I'll try addining in the quote marks but unquoted should still have come up with something useful especially on Google's own platform.

:-" Kenny

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 12 September 11 10:03 pm

ga cacher
ga cacher beta

Both of these search terms show the app using my Android.