Android phones for geocaching

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Re: Android phones for geocaching

Post by gmj3191 » 14 September 11 11:59 pm

ollave wrote:
cantanga wrote:So I just destroyed the screen on my Garmin asus a50 by dropping it on a footpath. While I realise that no phone will ever be as awesome as it was I can't find anymore for sale anywhere and if I can get the screen fixed it would cost more than the phone. Therefore I've decided I figure I might look at a different phone. So what Android phone do you use and how accurate is it for geocaching?
Following a posting on groundspeak.com, I decided to separate the problems: choose a phone for use as a phone, and just make sure that it has Bluetooth with the SPP protocol (it should have, unless a manufacturer removes it). Then add a GPSr logger, the "Bluetooth GPS" application and you've the phone you wanted and accurate GPSr for geocaching.

The cost, of course, is an additional piece of hardware and setting up more software. But it's smoother than approaching GZ using an iPhone and then hand entering coordinates into a Garmin Oregon 550 as a friend of mine has been known to do. (OK, he preloads caches when he knows where he's going, and the maps available for $$$ for the Garmin are way ahead of the free stuff Google et al provide.)

My exact configuration is documented in a Groundspeak posting:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... pic=282037
I've found the HTC Desire to work well, but there are many newer models now, and many with larger/better screens.
The really good thing about the Desire is that its GPS seems just about as good as my Oregon, and far superior to many other phones I've been able to compare it with, especially iPhones.
As a phone however, I think its only ordinary, but its a pretty complete complete package for what I want it to do.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 15 September 11 11:12 pm

I've been tempted to buy an HTC phone since I've been so dissatisfied with the Nokia E72 regarding the internet - good as a phone and for email but internet is useless, so slow and freezes all the time plus there are NO useful apps for it. However my plan doesn't come up for renewal until March 2012 so I was hanging on - was going to switch back from Optus to Telstra too.

But strangely enough a bloke I know who has his own business with employees told me that Telstra are always giving him phones to try out as part of his plan. He showed me a drawer of spares and there was an HTC Wildfire there in the box! He said I could have it. It's an 'exclusive' Telstra phone but I put my SIM in and it worked straight away. However I am struggling to get Wi-Fi or any form of internet access. I have connected it to the home wireless and downloaded C:geo and Geohunter which seem good but as soon as I get away from the house I have no internet. I can't seem to get the set up working. Have logged into Optus Zoo but that didn't work away from the house either.

Anyway I'll get it sorted and will see how it goes. I can't quite work out how you use C:geo to find caches - it just tells me details of the nearest caches, all of which I've found. Geohunter tells me all the closest unfound caches at least but has no finding facility I think. Steep learning curve.

I just like the idea of being able to pull the phone out when I'm away from home to see if there are any caches nearby. Normally I have to prepare and upload all the coords in advance. Off to Tassie in a week so will see if I can get it working by then.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 16 September 11 12:26 am

Yurt wrote:... but as soon as I get away from the house I have no internet. I can't seem to get the set up working. Have logged into Optus Zoo but that didn't work away from the house either.
You might have to look up and enter some parameters for mobile internet access. Look for things like APN, MCC and MNC in the Optus documentation or online help and set them in the phone's settings. They're probably pre-set to Telstra values.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 19 September 11 11:59 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:
Yurt wrote:... but as soon as I get away from the house I have no internet. I can't seem to get the set up working. Have logged into Optus Zoo but that didn't work away from the house either.
You might have to look up and enter some parameters for mobile internet access. Look for things like APN, MCC and MNC in the Optus documentation or online help and set them in the phone's settings. They're probably pre-set to Telstra values.
Thanks.
I found this site which gives the APNs for various networks. Now to see if it works.
http://ausdroid.net/apns/#optus

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 September 11 12:22 am

Beware what ye select. telstra.bigpond and telstra.wap also exist but ye olde charges are based on that selection. Some content be unmetered, some be charged like doubloons.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 21 September 11 5:23 pm

Well I can't get it to work on Optus. Even took it to the Optus shop and they mucked around with it. Said it couldn't be done automatically as it was a Telstra phone but should work with a manual set up. After much toing and froing with the tech support on the line they finally gave up and said it was hard-wired to Telstra WiFi or somesuch. Too hard basket I'm suspecting. Am sure someone could hack it but I couldn't be bothered. Will have to wait until later I think.
My Nokia has no usable geocaching app (E72) and internet browsing is almost completely awful anyway. It's going to be a long wait.

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 21 September 11 10:36 pm

Well, given that it's of little use to you as it is, this sounds like a good candidate for putting a modified OS into! I mean, what's the worst that could happen?

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices/htc-wildfire

The procedure's not too bad, really. A bit scary at times, but Google for some alternative instructions and something will work if you get stuck.

This might not get around the lock, but it seems likely that it would...

Yurt wrote:Well I can't get it to work on Optus. Even took it to the Optus shop and they mucked around with it. Said it couldn't be done automatically as it was a Telstra phone but should work with a manual set up. After much toing and froing with the tech support on the line they finally gave up and said it was hard-wired to Telstra WiFi or somesuch. Too hard basket I'm suspecting. Am sure someone could hack it but I couldn't be bothered. Will have to wait until later I think.
My Nokia has no usable geocaching app (E72) and internet browsing is almost completely awful anyway. It's going to be a long wait.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 17 November 11 11:10 am

Of course the simplest solution would be to buy some pre-paid credit with Telstra for this phone and only use it for internet and especially C: geo or whatever.
I don't like touch screens for phones.
It's taken me months to realise that I could just use it as a pre-paid! Phone doesn't have a SIM card though, I guess that's what I'd buy - a pre-paid SIM. Have never entered the murky world of pre-paid phones - thought it was the province of kidnappers and other ransom demanders. :mrgreen:

ruralslicker
Location: Churchill Vic 3842 (Latrobe Valley) 160 km east of Melbourne

Post by ruralslicker » 17 November 11 5:48 pm

The Garmin Asus A50 Android is still being thrown out in the current Optus online clearance sale on a $19 Cap Plan - handset free - 12 months only. Comes with Android 2.1 pre-installed. I bought one a week ago - absolutely amazing advance over what I've been using previously for geocaching. Currently using NeonGeo and the GA beta apps. Only drawback so far is that it cannot install apps requiring Android 2.2 and above, but I knew that before my purchase, and for the total price of $228 I'm extremely happy so far. I will be upgrading the Cap Plan down the track. Replaces my ancient 5 year old SE mobile.

Well worth considering........especially as it's a completely standalone GPS as well.
Last edited by ruralslicker on 18 November 11 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 18 November 11 10:48 am

You can download 2.1 Droid for the A50 from their website... but careful, once you do, you cant go back, and it's a little buggy, but overall worth it :D

http://www.garminasus.com/en_AU/support ... dates.html

ruralslicker
Location: Churchill Vic 3842 (Latrobe Valley) 160 km east of Melbourne

Post by ruralslicker » 18 November 11 12:55 pm

Thanks Zalgariath for picking me up on my clumsily worded post :) .

I have re-edited it to indicate that the Optus clearance Garmin Asus A50 comes with Android 2.1 pre-installed (as mine did). But that's as far as it can be upgraded.

As a result, you cannot install any Android apps that require Android 2.2 and above. So if apps like the CFA FireReady and the one from Woolworths are important to you, then it would probably be very unwise to purchase this phone.

However, I'm still extremely happy with it. It's proved great for geocaching, especially with its standalone built-in GPS with free lifetime maps.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 18 November 11 9:04 pm

Good Apps to turn it into a "real" GPS

Geobeagle
GA Cacher
WhereUgo
LatLong Converter (Although I use the GCA Toolbox now ;P)
Fake GPS
GPS Averaging
Locus
c:geo (I rarely use this, loading live data seems to take forever :( )

Spreyton22

Post by Spreyton22 » 01 April 12 11:40 pm

I use the following:
Motorola Defy (Telstra PostPaid)
LG Optimus One (Virgin PrePaid)
Both give excellent results !

The Motorola has the GC software and both have the following free software:
GPS Status
GPS Averaging
GA Cacher

Hope this helps !

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 03 April 12 11:13 pm

I use a
HTC Sensation
HTC Legend
Samsung Galaxy Tab

I find the Tab and Sensation to work best (probably as they are with Telstra)
The legend is a slow phone (and with VodaFAIL ;))

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 03 April 12 11:14 pm

akkatracker wrote:I use a
HTC Sensation
HTC Legend
Samsung Galaxy Tab

I find the Tab and Sensation to work best (probably as they are with Telstra)
The legend is a slow phone (and with VodaFAIL ;))
And just to add doesn't seem like anyone uses this app but it is great for multis
Columbus