Android phones for geocaching

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Re: Android phones for geocaching

Post by gmj3191 » 04 April 12 12:24 pm

Apps is an interesting topic.
I can't find an app that has everything I want.

c:geo is close but it can't handle trackables. I love the template feature.
GC.com app is very good, but no templates and you can't change the log date to overwrite the US time zone
Neongeo is probably the best I think, no templates but everything else seems to be there.
I tried Columbus last year but not recently. The multis thing is not an issue for me as I use an Oregon for detailed searching.

I use the Android for car navigation to get there, using Google Navigation via the apps above, and I use the Android to log the cache, using Swype to allow lengthy logs to be typed easily.

The other big benefit of an Android phone is that you easily can slip in a spare battery.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 04 April 12 1:03 pm

Whooooaa, I now see that Neongeo now includes a signature template with variables for
Time, Date, Username, Find count and Log area (so you can position your log before, within, or after the template) like c;geo does.

Therefore, for me, it's nearly perfect.

This is an interesting feature too
http://www.neongeo.com/map/#

RobWinmar

Post by RobWinmar » 28 July 12 8:52 pm

Does anyone happen to have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 28 July 12 8:52 pm

RobWinmar wrote:Does anyone happen to have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus?
Yep

RobWinmar

Post by RobWinmar » 30 July 12 12:27 am

What's it like for caching on? I was thinking of getting one. Is it as impressive as it looks?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 30 July 12 10:33 am

RobWinmar wrote:What's it like for caching on? I was thinking of getting one. Is it as impressive as it looks?
It's ok for caching.
The GPS isn't very good under tree cover, I tend to use my Oregon if going for any 'proper' caches, but fro the odd park and grab or whatnot it's just fine

Battery isn't too bad either especially since the Android 4.1 update, but if you get one, get a good 12V to usb power adapter to keep the charge up when in the car. Dick Smith have a 2A lighter socket thing they call an 'iPad car charger' that works fine

Other than that, I LOVE my GNex.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 30 July 12 3:14 pm

RobWinmar wrote:What's it like for caching on? I was thinking of getting one. Is it as impressive as it looks?
I second most of CraigRat's comments, except that I haven't noticed any sensitivity issues vs my GPS60S.

For placing caches, the GPS Average app is useful, and I now use my GNex to get coords with complete confidence (it matched my GPS60 to within one digit every time I used both.)

Although I'm quite happy carrying it around without a case most of the time, if I know I'll be doing some bush-bashing or rock-hopping, I have a leather case with a good solid cover for the screen. I've lost more than one PDA to cracked screens over the years!

For general use, it's fast, it's got a screen that's better than my old V1.0 eyes. it has all the sensors you could ask for, and it even works very well as a phone!

RobWinmar

Post by RobWinmar » 08 August 12 12:20 am

Thanks for the feedback - it all sounds very promising! It's the phone I've got my eye on, and am just trying to decide whether to buy it soon or to wait until around October, when a number of new phones are coming out (which would theoretically push down the price or existing phones). Kogan currently have it for $398 (when postage is factored in).