New to Android

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Hoojar
5000 or more caches found

New to Android

Post by Hoojar » 12 July 11 10:54 am

I've just made the switch from the iWorld to Android. I'm loving it so far!!! I've been reading the forums and it seems that the most recommended geo app is C:Geo (my partner runs this on her Android too). However, I've further read that development on it is going to stop.

Which leads me to my question, which app would people recommend. I just want something that I can use as my backup, I will still be using the Oregon for 99.9% of cache finds :-) I just want to be able to have something in case the batteries die, or work sends me on an unexpected trip and I don;t have time to duck home for the Oregon!

Also, I've gone through all of my iApps and replaced them with similar Android Apps. But I cannot find an App that is similar To Snow Watch or Snow Report. Sadly also Perisher and Mt Hotham are not releasing their Android Apps until next season (looks like my iPhone will still be dusted off for this year's skiing trips!!). It's funny that the only Apps that I can't replace are all snow sports ones :-(

Any other useful help, hints and apps would be appreciate!

Cheers!

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: New to Android

Post by CraigRat » 12 July 11 10:59 am

c:geo development is continuing, the app is now called c:geo - opensource in the market.

As for apps, I use GeOrg at the moment (not free) but there's lots of capable apps out there.
I've reviewed a heap of theme on my other project: http://androidcaching.com (I feel uncomfortable pimping my own site, but it IS relevant to this discussion)

Teirae
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Teirae » 12 July 11 12:16 pm

I use the Geocaching.com one (not free) and C:geo. I'm still not 100% on one of them. the geocaching.com one is growing on me, c:geo hasnt quite yet.. but i'm still playing with it.

Thanks for linking your site CraigRat, I'll also check it out and surely ill find one that suits my needs =)

Taiko'sFamily

Post by Taiko'sFamily » 12 July 11 12:19 pm

I've been using GeoHunter when I am prepared (have done a query), but if we are out and want to see what is around I use C:Geo. Mainly so I am not using up my data allowance all the time.

Is going ok for us

Jenny

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 12 July 11 3:14 pm

CraigRat wrote:c:geo development is continuing, the app is now called c:geo - opensource in the market.

As for apps, I use GeOrg at the moment (not free) but there's lots of capable apps out there.
I've reviewed a heap of theme on my other project: http://androidcaching.com (I feel uncomfortable pimping my own site, but it IS relevant to this discussion)
Thanks for the c:geo info and the link to your website CraigRat, I appreciate it!

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 13 July 11 9:35 am

do you have to un-install the "old" version ie can both co-exist or is safe to switch now?
ie do I un-install cgeo and install c:geo open source?

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 13 July 11 11:04 pm

mtrax wrote:do you have to un-install the "old" version ie can both co-exist or is safe to switch now?
ie do I un-install cgeo and install c:geo open source?
Sorry to go off topic but I had both installed for last weekends caching trip and while it worked, it was really slow and the battery didn't last the whole day which it normally does easily...
I can't seem to find a way to transfer saved caches from the old version to the new one too... :-k