GC and GCA Finds

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
wileyclan
2150 or more geocaches found
2150 or more geocaches found

GC and GCA Finds

Post by wileyclan » 30 June 11 5:26 pm

Hi,

After some help with stats generation. Not really sure if I am in the right place or if I need to go on the GSAK forum, but here goes:

When I run the FindStatsGen macro, it recognises the finders of my GC caches, but not the finders of my GCA caches. How do I get the macro to recognise that people have found both types of caches of mine? For example, on my GC profile page

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid ... 1d46454fc7

it shows rudi63 as having foudn 20 out of my 21 caches (GC and GCA combined) caches placed. How do I update it so that it shows them at 21 out of 21?

Cheers

Wiley 8)

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Re: GC and GCA Finds

Post by Zalgariath » 30 June 11 9:11 pm

I would be interested in this too... I know what the problem is, FSG for some reason differentiates between between the GC and GCA names, even if they are exactly the same.

On my page Team Lego Men should be at #1 for finders of my caches... but their finds are spilt between GC and GCA, so instead of having 14 finds they appear twice on the list with 8 and 6 :(

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 30 June 11 9:33 pm

gc.com defines a finder using a geocacher id eg. mine is 226067 (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=226067). GCA does not have the same concept so FSG cannot connect me finding gc.com caches with the same me finding gca caches. Don't think this can be resolved easily because even if you changed it to use the username it's possible that a GCA cacher uses a slightly different capitalisation or spacing.

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 30 June 11 10:25 pm

I'm not 100% sure on finders of your own caches but I know that GCA caches you have found don't have an "owner ID" when you download the GPX file so you have to add it manually after you import the file if you want the stats to work. I don't know if GCA has anyway they can fix the problem as I'm guessing they don't know peoples user ID's...

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 30 June 11 10:29 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:I'm not 100% sure on finders of your own caches but I know that GCA caches you have found don't have an "owner ID" when you download the GPX file so you have to add it manually after you import the file if you want the stats to work. I don't know if GCA has anyway they can fix the problem as I'm guessing they don't know peoples user ID's...
Bingo. We also like to treat people as people rather than numbers.
Most cachers who have found GCA caches tend to have the same name of both sites, so a name match (possibly case insensitive match) would work.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 30 June 11 10:54 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Most cachers who have found GCA caches tend to have the same name of both sites, so a name match (possibly case insensitive match) would work.
Does that mean you could extract the user IDs from gc.com and add them to GPX files for most caching names? If so it would be nice, but its not that hard to do it yourself considering that I don't find that many GCA caches...

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 30 June 11 11:00 pm

Sorry, no. We have no method of obtaining their userid's and we wouldn't really want that data anyway, then there's upkeep. I'll pass on that too.