Geohunter storing waypoints wrong

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
cantanga
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Geohunter storing waypoints wrong

Post by cantanga » 31 March 11 6:39 pm

Does anyone else have issue with Geohunter storing waypoints in a multi incorrect? I've been using geohunter for a couple of months now and have just realised that it is giving me a bum steer. I've been doing a multi cache and for the life of me I couldn't find a waypoint. I would go to the site and there would be nowhere where it could possibly be. So I went back to the previous waypoint to check it and it was wrong. Only a typo I thought. Fixed it up saved it then checked it. Nope it had reverted back to the incorrect coordinates. Now admittedly it's only out by 30m but that 30m is on the wrong side of multi lane major road. My other issue is if I update a GPX file on the SD card I lose all my waypoints
So are there any other decent programs out there for android?. I downloaded c:geo which seem good but I found it doesn't import all the cache info across and won't extract from a zip file (I have th A50 so if I place an unextracted gpx file on the SD card it imports it into the garmin navigation software which slows it down a hell of a lot) it also apparently violates groundspeak TOU. So is there anything else worth getting?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Geohunter storing waypoints wrong

Post by CraigRat » 31 March 11 6:57 pm

If you go to the Geohunter site (http://geohunter.org/) they should fix it pretty quick.

I've also done some reviews of apps at one of my side projects: http://androidcaching.com

Briggbottoms
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by Briggbottoms » 02 April 11 1:00 am

cantanga wrote:Does anyone else have issue with Geohunter storing waypoints in a multi incorrect? I've been using geohunter for a couple of months now and have just realised that it is giving me a bum steer.
Yes, I have this issue on my A50. I'm sticking with Android v1.6 and I have the market version of GeoHunter which is v1.9.4 I believe - http://code.google.com/p/geohunter/wiki/VersionHistory

I deal with it by adding the waypoint into c:geo in an appropriate location. Was very frustrating and not ideal still but at least I have that workaround. I went to log it as a defect in the issue tracker but don't have a google account :roll: Was that you logging issue 108?
cantanga wrote: My other issue is if I update a GPX file on the SD card I lose all my waypoints
Hmm, haven't noticed that but I have made do without an sdcard so far. Just checked and waypoints are not lost from updated caches with no sdcard.
cantanga wrote:So are there any other decent programs out there for android?.
I use GPS Status/Radar a bit, GPS Averaging is a must, GCC - GeoCache Calculator is looking useful and "File Manager 2.1" by Adao Team is handy for dealing with downloaded GPX/zip files. Also AttachSave Lite does some handy file saving from emailed attachments, although it would be unnecessary if GeoHunter registered as a gpx/zip handler I reckon.

Regards,
Briggbottoms

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 02 April 11 7:30 am

Briggbottoms wrote: I went to log it as a defect in the issue tracker but don't have a google account :roll: Was that you logging issue 108?
How do you use the market on the phone without a Google acct?

Briggbottoms
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by Briggbottoms » 02 April 11 1:26 pm

CraigRat wrote:
Briggbottoms wrote: I went to log it as a defect in the issue tracker but don't have a google account :roll: Was that you logging issue 108?
What an excellent question. The answer appears to be - the phone has an account that I am not able to retrieve the details for from any menu or app that I have searched through. #-o

I wonder if I can install market versions of apps via the market website?

I got almost but not quite sufficiently motivated with this bug to go searching google's web sites for some solution to this problem.

Regards,
Briggbottoms

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 02 April 11 9:44 pm

Briggbottoms wrote:
CraigRat wrote:
What an excellent question. The answer appears to be - the phone has an account that I am not able to retrieve the details for from any menu or app that I have searched through. #-o

I wonder if I can install market versions of apps via the market website?

I got almost but not quite sufficiently motivated with this bug to go searching google's web sites for some solution to this problem.

Regards,
Briggbottoms
you NEED to have a gmail accout mapped to YOU for the market to work. It is the first step when you set up the phone.
go to the Gmail app on the phone and it should say in the top right what your acct name is. THAT is your google account.

Or from the main screen : Menu Button ->Settings -> accounts and sync settings and under the Manage accounts bit it will have your google account

Briggbottoms
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by Briggbottoms » 03 April 11 6:30 pm

CraigRat wrote:
Briggbottoms wrote: I wonder if I can install market versions of apps via the market website?
you NEED to have a gmail accout mapped to YOU for the market to work. It is the first step when you set up the phone.
go to the Gmail app on the phone and it should say in the top right what your acct name is. THAT is your google account.

Or from the main screen : Menu Button ->Settings -> accounts and sync settings and under the Manage accounts bit it will have your google account
Tried both of those paths, the Gmail app doesn't have any info in the top right and while Sync mentions Google, it only says whether to sync or not for each of Gmail, Calendar and Contacts.

This is an A50 running Android v1.6 and we are getting way off topic :wink:

Yes, it was the first step when the phone was set up. No I do not have any of those details.

The Gmail Help web pages are a little sparse, nowhere could I find "send a new password to my gmail account" option and that isn't surprising because while the Gmail app works (must be able to authenticate somehow), changing the password would prevent the phone receiving any new mail. I guess there could be a "send my gmail password to my gmail account" but then if I stole my phone I would get a "free" gmail account. :shock:

Cheers,
Briggbottoms

cantanga
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by cantanga » 05 April 11 6:52 pm

Briggbottoms wrote:. I went to log it as a defect in the issue tracker but don't have a google account :roll: Was that you logging issue 108?
yep that was me