Handset for the bush

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
squalid
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found

Handset for the bush

Post by squalid » 23 March 11 3:08 pm

I know I could spend an hour tolling through whirlpool, but I thought this question would probably be better asked to a group that actually get out there and use the kit.

What would be the best handset to use with Telstra when off the beaten track? Do you have an external antenna on your vehicle?

I've got an N95 with Virgin which is great in metro areas, and I've seen that the n95s are highly recommended when with Telstra. Flash features aren't a big deal, I'd rather have longer battery life. Mind you, the n95 can do a hell of a lot, so I would expect a few things from a new phone - in this order:
bluetooth - that can be turned off when not needed
camera
wifi + tethering - that can be turned off when not needed
gps - not essential, I rely on a real one :-"
music

I see the Motorolla DEFY had a blue tick, and is fairly rugged - any experience?

PirateRock
950 or more random things achieved

Re: Handset for the bush

Post by PirateRock » 23 March 11 8:39 pm

Hi,

The Motorola DEFY is a great handset for dust/water resistance, but it just had it's Bluetick pulled by Telstra. Regardless, it get better reception than my iPhone 4 (which apparently is Bluetick with a bumper case). I love Andriod as a OS, so I'm biased, but I love WiFi Hotspot tethering.

Having said that, your N95 was a great handset for reception, WiFi (I used to use JoKu Spot [or similar]) and worked flawlessly with most car kits.

I haven't worried about an external antenna for years, but that's because my travel patterns are covered with coverage too...

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 24 March 11 7:30 am

i used to have a telstra t165 , ugly brick looking phone ! it worked everywhere.
Now it has been replaced with a nokia c5, it to works most everywhere.

Lucy
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Lucy » 24 March 11 9:25 am

As a country Vet, I rely on my mobile phone A LOT. I am very happy with my Motorola Defy. I don't use an external antenna. I haven't broken it yet - or even scratched it, which is both unusual for me and a huge testament to how tough it is. I have also inadvertently tested its water resistance - no problems. I know telstra pulled the blue tick but I'm still happy to recommend it.

As an aside, the GPS works very well, I have found a few caches with it now and accuracy doesn't seem to be an issue.

PirateRock

Post by PirateRock » 24 March 11 9:03 pm

Lucy wrote:....snip... . I know telstra pulled the blue tick but I'm still happy to recommend it.

As an aside, the GPS works very well, I have found a few caches with it now and accuracy doesn't seem to be an issue.
I don't think there is a better 'smartphone' for coverage on the Next G network at the moment than the DEFY (and I'm not counting the Blackberry Torch 9800 because I can't cache from it) :D

A workmate drove from Adelaide to Roma QLD last week and back this week for a conference, and he stated that it was the best handset he has used for reception, and he goes bush quite a bit.

The phone as Lucy states is great as far as 'tough' goes... even 'tougher' with a Otterbox Commuter. Regardless of the phone I use these days, I don't 'country cache' without one. :wink: