Which Droid Version to Change to?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Which Droid Version to Change to?

Post by Zalgariath » 23 March 11 5:36 am

On the back of the Poll running it has prompted me to have a think about my Garmin Asus.

The GPS is super sensitive and I like the phone, but the Operating software is so buggy its ridiculous. Ive lost the ability to use any media programs (no music), NONE of the Garmin stuff works, and it usually cant detect my SD Card or Camera. Maybe emails from Garmin (all off which said, redownload/install in different ways, which hasnt worked) have failed to be useful so seeing as how I dont use the Nuvi for Navigation Im am thinking of installing a different Droid system.

SO! What are people using and recommend? ...plus any links/directions would be useful if you have the info thanks. I can always re-install the Garmin stuff if it goes pear-shape but to get my Music back and stop the error popups it will be worth it!

Cheers

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Which Droid Version to Change to?

Post by CraigRat » 23 March 11 6:19 am

You need a ROM specifically built for your model phone, you can't just slap on any old version of Android you find on the net.
Because of this you may find your choices are limited.
Replacing your ROM can be very stressful, especially if the bootloader has to be hacked.Be prepared to have a destroyed device, as it's not uncommon for this to happen. Yes, you CAN go back to your factory ROM, but if you stuff up the bootloader you might find you can't. This from experience , my G1 is testament to that. You have been warned.

Side note: Droid is a type of Motorola phone, and isn't an abbreviation for Android. Putting a Droid ROM on your phone WILL brick it. Make sure you Google Android and not Droid to ensure you get the right results!

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 23 March 11 8:01 am

Cheers CR... hmmm not sure Im prepared for that kind of stress as I cant replace it easily over here and if I brick it Im stuffed. Bollocks. The A50 wasnt released in the UK :(

Didnt know about the motorola "Droid".... Im just a lazy typist :P hahaa

Taiko'sFamily

Post by Taiko'sFamily » 23 March 11 11:27 am

I pulled my sd card out of mine. but still have the garmin services unavailable. No trouble at all with my camera though?

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 23 March 11 1:40 pm

We got an A50 for Mama Bear (to help cure her smartphone envy!) and it's OK in its current form. At least it has USB modem capability, even if it doesn't do the FroYo wireless tethering.

At the moment, porting a later version of Android to it is a job for a real expert, not even just a good tinkerer. Don't even think about it!

However, down the track, there might be some hope. There's people actively trying to get a CyanogenMod port for it, while keeping the Garmin maps, etc.

Read all about it here: http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/5864-garminfone-a50/

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 24 March 11 12:29 am

Cheers PBL - The thing works... I can make calls, txt, Geobeagle and all my Caching apps are fine, internet is all good. Just no Garmin services and no media services :( I have reinstalled 3 times with out the SD card and it still didnt fix it.

I'll keep an eye on that thread and see how that goes. Otherwise for now will just have to put up with it.

Thanks! \:D/

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 28 March 11 4:10 pm

We have 2 people at work with these and my wife has one and all have no problems. Not sure about the media though since I don't think any of them use it for that.

My HTC Desire HD had issues with its SD card (the one it came with) in that it would dismount itself all the time and I'd have to remove the case and then the slot cover and physically eject the card to get it to come back. I figured it was a phone issue, but they said to try a different card so I tried a 2GB one I had lying around and it hasn't missed a beat.

What version of the ROM are you installing?

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 29 March 11 2:35 am

The newest one, 2.1. I havent tried another SD card (using 16GB HDSD Micro... which the specs say it can take) but I have tried it WITHOUT an SD at all and it still doesnt work :(

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 29 March 11 6:41 am

Is that update version 5.0.73? I assume 5.0 was the first one with Android 2.1, but what I am getting at is that there might have been a minor update to their package. Just a thought since the 4 people I know that have them haven't had any issues.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 29 March 11 7:45 am

yeah its 5.0.73... They seem to be rather hit and miss. Undisputed best GPS in the Android family... and equally indisputed worst phone :( hoping this Cyogen Mod gets off the ground...

Taiko'sFamily

Post by Taiko'sFamily » 29 March 11 9:24 am

Zal yours sounds worse than mine, my camera works, i have no music on it but podcasts work, and my garmin services work intermittently

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 30 March 11 3:07 am

I would gladly exchange my A50 for an R2 unit \:D/