Garmin Dakota 10 and Google Earth?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Jimmbow

Garmin Dakota 10 and Google Earth?

Post by Jimmbow » 05 March 11 4:44 pm

Hi

I am seeking advice as I am having trouble transferring waypoints, tracks etc. into Google Earth using my new Dakota 10. I use Google Earth with my Etrex H and the usb cable with driver with no worries with importing waypoints, tracks etc. but can not do the same with my new Dakota 10?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jamie

GhostGums
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Re: Garmin Dakota 10 and Google Earth?

Post by GhostGums » 05 March 11 7:09 pm

Jamie,

You can save your waypoints and tracks into a garmin file (i.e. MPS for GDB format) and then convert the file to a KML or KMZ format, using a program GPSBabel (http://www.gpsbabel.org/)

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 06 March 11 3:20 pm

Are they actually being imported and not visible, or is there an error message appearing which may help identify the problem?
GhostGums wrote:Jamie,

You can save your waypoints and tracks into a garmin file (i.e. MPS for GDB format) and then convert the file to a KML or KMZ format, using a program GPSBabel (http://www.gpsbabel.org/)
No need to get complicated...Google Earth imports GPX files which are stored on many newer GPS's :P

The problem being that in many cases now, GE has a bad habit of using the time data in the file to its advantage, and in some cases being a right royal PITA. Importing the data into various programs and back out may fix this problem, or using a program called GPXTimeStripper can eliminate the valid data that GE stuffs up so eligently.

Hope that helps,
mm

Jimmbow

Post by Jimmbow » 11 March 11 6:48 pm

No, they are not being imported? After I try to import them (the same way that I do with my Etrex H), I get a dialog box telling me that no data was imported. It has me puzzled, why can my Etrex H do it with no problems but then I cannot do it with a newer model?

Thank you
Jamie

The Explorer

Post by The Explorer » 28 March 11 6:24 pm

Hi

Just drag and drop the gpx files (tracks and waypoints) from the units internal memory (or SD Card) to Google Earth work space (screen).
Dont use the GPS Import function in GE as that only works on older units (such as Etrex, 60 series etc - different format and protocol).

You can also use Mapsource or Basecamp to loaded data in GE. Suggest Basecamp with the Dakota.

Cheers
Greg