How do you do ....... (GSAK)

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
darth trader
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched
Twitter: darthtrader77

Re: How do you do ....... (GSAK)

Post by darth trader » 01 March 11 6:54 pm

I just keep one Database populated with all the caches for the areas I frequent.

I keep it updated and macro a 100k radius to my Garmin 300 every couple of weeks, or after a 'spate' of new listings.

When I know I am off to another area i run a filter of 'availables' and exclude any that have 3 out of 4 of the last logs as DNF. (I don't have time to loose when I am Away) and export that as a GPX to the unit.

I just have a problem with the GCA found caches not showing up on my unit as 'finds' and also my 'owned' caches showing up on the unit. I like to keep them in my GPX file for reminding me about maitenance, but I DON'T want them showing up when I use the 'nearest geocache' screen on the unit when I drive around (which I do, A LOT)

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 01 March 11 8:44 pm

2 data bases, found and unfound, update found now and then, delete out of unfound as we cache as the computer is always at hand.
If we go to an area new i just do a update PQ and update gsak, the rest is handled with various macros.

Trigg-A-Nomics

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 04 March 11 12:26 pm

I have three databases - GC, GCA and Findable as I like to keep the stats separate but the hunt combined.

My GCA database includes My Hides, locationless, Watchlist, Finds, SA caches and moveables.

My GC database includes Home caches, work caches, Finds, Hides, Watchlist, Puzzles, Challenging Caches (3+/3+) and Child Friendly caches. It also gets an occasional temporary PQ of a holiday destination.

I've then got a modified macro to combine the two databases by region as my GPS takes ages to load a GPX with anything more than a couple of hundred waypoints. For example, I define a polygonal filter for the Adelaide CBD (150 unfound GC and 3 unfound GCA - currently 2 of which are gnomes) and then the macro applies that filter to both the GC & GCA databases and copies the results into the Findables database, which then gets uploaded to the GPS. I have an uber macro that runs through about half a dozen of these filters automatically, including moveables, solved puzzles and recommended caches and uploads the lot to the GPS.

Trigg-A-Nomics

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 04 March 11 1:33 pm

solomonfamily wrote:I actually am cutting out the emails with the PQs in effect just downloading them as needed - all into default db. I am still trying to work out how to treat moving caches - how do others do it.
I have a weekly PQ that brings in all the moveables in SA into my GCA database. If I find them they stay in via a Finds PQ. If I'm interested in them they stay via a Watchlist PQ. If they move out of SA I delete them.

I also have an alert for any "Find" logs on moveables in SA, which helps cut down the "DNF because it isn't here anymore" incidents.

Tuena
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 04 March 11 8:39 pm

I have three databases.

A combined GC & GCA (no locationless caches);
GCA only which includes Locationless;
A one off database for odds & ends eg currently I have State Survey Markers I downloaded from Waymarking.com.

I use Filters to determine what caches I want to look for & a macro to send them to my Nuvi.

Big Matt and Shell
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 09 March 11 9:09 pm

Just realised I forgot to get back to you.

I have two primary databases. One contains all the GC caches and currently has 20103 caches. The second contains all the GCA caches and currently has 7483 caches. I do have some testing DB's that I use for stats or macro testing.

By keeping all my finds and DNFs and not yet found in a single database I find it simple to set up my PQ's by Hidden Ranges and then they can just come into the database and I don't have to work out if I have found them or not.

By having all the caches in the same database I can run macros easily as well. The main macros I use are the Garmin Export Beta to export to the GPS. To work out what I need to export I use a Macro that I have butchered from an old KaiTeam macro called Findable caches. The code is,

Code: Select all

#*******************************************
# MacDescription = Find not found, available plus "solved" mysteries within XXXkm
# MacFileName = Findable Caches BMS Version.gsk
# MacAuthor = Big Matt (Edited from a KaiTeam base)
# MacVersion=1.2
# MacUrl=
#*******************************************
# The following macro will return caches that are available, have not been found and will
# only show puzzles if they have corrected coordinates. It is also set to only show caches
# within a 160km radius. If you find that this is too many for your GPS then change the 
# $d_distance value.

MFILTER Expression=NOT($d_Found OR $d_TempDisabled OR $d_Archived OR IsOwner()) AND $d_Distance<160 AND $d_CacheType<>"U"
MFILTER Expression=$d_CacheType="U" AND $d_HasCorrected AND NOT($d_Found OR IsOwner OR $d_TempDisabled OR $d_Archived) AND $d_Distance<160 JOIN=OR
I then use the usual FindStatGen and BadgeGen for stats

I have yet to find a really neat way of checking for archived caches but what I do works. I have a filter that shows me only caches that are not archived that haven't had a GPX update date in the last 7 days. I can then mark them as archived, if there is only a few I'll normally pull the GPX in from the page so that I have the logs but otherwise I just use the F3 toggle.

Agent Basil
2500 or more caches found

Post by Agent Basil » 10 March 11 8:42 pm

Is there an existing macro that will create a GPX file of my unfounds then ? The export macro seems to want include all caches.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 10 March 11 8:50 pm

Agent Basil wrote:Is there an existing macro that will create a GPX file of my unfounds then ? The export macro seems to want include all caches.
Just create a filter that selects all your unfound caches, then go to export GPX and it will only export those caches.

Agent Basil

Post by Agent Basil » 10 March 11 9:04 pm

and this would be in the "set filter" bit.......and unchecking the "found" box ?

Big Matt and Shell
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 10 March 11 9:37 pm

Agent Basil wrote:and this would be in the "set filter" bit.......and unchecking the "found" box ?
Correct

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 March 11 10:12 pm

Or do it the easy way.

Bottom right hand corner, there should be 4 boxes (colours will vary).
First is FINDS
Second is YET TO BE FOUND
Third is PLACED
Fourth is UNAVAILABLE /ARCHIVED

Double click the second one.
tada :-)

Agent Basil

Post by Agent Basil » 11 March 11 8:05 am

Thanks chaps !

Echo
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Post by Echo » 11 March 11 1:24 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Or do it the easy way.

Bottom right hand corner, there should be 4 boxes (colours will vary).
First is FINDS
Second is YET TO BE FOUND
Third is PLACED
Fourth is UNAVAILABLE /ARCHIVED

Double click the second one.
tada :-)
Now that I didn't know! :shock:

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 11 March 11 2:42 pm

+1

PrincessDiala
2300 or more caches found
2300 or more caches found

Post by PrincessDiala » 12 March 11 7:54 am

Echo wrote:
Now that I didn't know! :shock:
Me too! I'm keeping an eye on this one for any more tips!