PC to Garmin

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Teirae
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

PC to Garmin

Post by Teirae » 20 February 11 7:30 pm

ok, please be gentle, i'm basically a newbie =)

I want to know if there is software (and which ones best/or even just what is avaliable) to connect my Garmin GPS72 to my computer, and d/l waypoints from the computer to the gps, so i dont have to manually do it for every single one..

tia!!

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: PC to Garmin

Post by CraigRat » 20 February 11 7:43 pm

The absolute best software is called GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) http://gsak.net and that'll talk to your GPS just fine.

To get all of the geocaching.com caches for one area in one hit you will need to pay them for a premium membership and create what are called Pocket queries. You can then have these PQ's emailed to you or you can grab them off the site.
You can get all the GCA listed caches free of charge by going to your states page here and clicking on the GPX link

Then GSAK can then load these files in to its database and you can do all kinds of things like filter out too hard caches or certain types (and much much more) and then upload what you want to your device.

It's not free, but it's certainly worth it.

Teirae
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Teirae » 21 February 11 9:03 am

Thankyou very much CraigRat!

it is a bit tedious manually imputing evrything (at least i worked out how to turn of the keypad beep though...it was making my hubby go all 'heres johny') so a cost isn't ness a turn off.

off to check out GSAK =) thanks

The Explorer

Post by The Explorer » 28 March 11 6:28 pm

Hi

You can also try Basecamp - free download from Garmin website.

Cheers
Greg