www.nearmap.com

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
User avatar
gmj3191
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 1314
Joined: 22 April 03 12:37 am
Location: Sandringham, Vic Garmin Oregon 650

Re: www.nearmap.com

Post by gmj3191 » 23 April 11 11:33 pm

Melbourne Nearmaps was updated about 2 weeks ago on the 6th April.

User avatar
Agent Basil
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found
Posts: 674
Joined: 31 July 08 8:26 pm
Location: Deakin, ACT

Re: www.nearmap.com

Post by Agent Basil » 24 April 11 6:00 pm

murf wrote:I thought I should add this in case people haven't already seen it...
My favourite use of NearMap is via GSAK. So:
- Tools menu
- Options
- HTML Tab
- In the "Custom URLs" box, add the following line:
NearMap=http://www.nearmap.com/?q=@%lat,%lon&ll=%lat,%lon
- OK to close

Then you can right click any cache and select "Custom URL... NearMap" which gives a nice view of where the cache should be (with all the usual accuracy caveats for the maps and saved coordinates).

I should note that you can add a "&z=20" to the end of the above line, and 20 can be changed to suit your preferred default "zoom in" level.
Cheers,
Murf.
Thanks for that - very useful !

User avatar
homedg
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found
Posts: 798
Joined: 24 February 06 3:15 pm
Location: South West Sydney

Re: www.nearmap.com

Post by homedg » 25 April 11 5:08 pm

murf wrote:I thought I should add this in case people haven't already seen it...
My favourite use of NearMap is via GSAK. So:
- Tools menu
- Options
- HTML Tab
- In the "Custom URLs" box, add the following line:
NearMap=http://www.nearmap.com/?q=@%lat,%lon&ll=%lat,%lon
- OK to close

Then you can right click any cache and select "Custom URL... NearMap" which gives a nice view of where the cache should be (with all the usual accuracy caveats for the maps and saved coordinates).

I should note that you can add a "&z=20" to the end of the above line, and 20 can be changed to suit your preferred default "zoom in" level.
Cheers,
Murf.
Excellent tool, Thanks for sharing. :)

Tuena
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found
Posts: 527
Joined: 17 November 06 11:38 am

Re: www.nearmap.com

Post by Tuena » 25 April 11 8:43 pm

Good idea - look fwd to when nearmap covers rural areas.

Tuena
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found
Posts: 527
Joined: 17 November 06 11:38 am

Re: www.nearmap.com

Post by Tuena » 25 April 11 9:41 pm

Perhaps coverage in rural areas wont be that great. Just checked a trig behind Jamberoo near Kiama which is in the nearmaps coverage area. Lacks clarity when compared to a trig I selected in Caringbah (Sydney). Probably only designed for large built up areas.

Damo.
Posts: 2183
Joined: 04 April 04 5:01 pm
Location: Jannali

Re: www.nearmap.com

Post by Damo. » 25 April 11 9:56 pm

Tuena wrote:Perhaps coverage in rural areas wont be that great. Just checked a trig behind Jamberoo near Kiama which is in the nearmaps coverage area. Lacks clarity when compared to a trig I selected in Caringbah (Sydney). Probably only designed for large built up areas.
Coverage depends on where customers have paid them to capture data for.

Tuena
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found
Posts: 527
Joined: 17 November 06 11:38 am

Re: www.nearmap.com

Post by Tuena » 25 April 11 10:25 pm

Ahhh - that puts the term "poor country cousins" into a new perspective. The military must have deep pockets though.

User avatar
Pesky!
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Posts: 1871
Joined: 04 April 03 11:48 pm
Location: Umina Beach, NSW

Re: www.nearmap.com

Post by Pesky! » 27 April 11 2:53 pm

Whoo, just checked out Nearmaps....awesome
You can see us preparing to go away in June last year, camper in the back yard. http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-33.509204,1 ... d=20100616
And unpacking and cleaning up,on our return in July...http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-33.509204,1 ... d=20100718 camper drying out, Washing on the line, 4x4 backed up to the gate still. must have been within a day or so of our return.
quite disturbing actually! :shock: \:D/

User avatar
Bronnie_1990
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found
Posts: 681
Joined: 21 September 10 4:20 pm
Twitter: bronnie1990
Location: Tuggeranong, Canberra.

Re: www.nearmap.com

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 27 April 11 3:22 pm

Oooooooooooooh, that is cool.
According to this, on the 24th of november, i was not at home, we were assembling the veggie patch in the backyard, and there's no washing on the clothesline.

And then, i can go back to the 7th of July, where i can see my car (dodgily) parked in the driveway, and there's washing on the clothesline, and the backyard looks funny.

I like it!

User avatar
Renroc
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found
Posts: 274
Joined: 14 July 08 1:35 pm
Location: Lismore

Re: www.nearmap.com

Post by Renroc » 27 April 11 7:31 pm

Oooohhh gee. Let me see which brown pixel was I on 1st Jan 2004!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-28.820011,1 ... d=20040101

This is my area. Not really useful for anything.

User avatar
GJMMelb
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Posts: 359
Joined: 06 June 09 12:06 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: www.nearmap.com

Post by GJMMelb » 02 May 11 11:40 am

Oooooopppsss :oops:

I pasted the above nearmap info into the "Waypoint description for HTML view" box and the cache NAME on all of tha caches now says ..... NearMap=http://www.nearmap.com/?q=@-37.738417,1 ... 92667&z=20
:oops:

Could someone please look at their GSAK and tell me what is meant to be in that box lol :oops:

Ta muchly in advance ... ](*,)

GJMMelb

tatty
Posts: 120
Joined: 05 August 03 7:29 pm
Location: mornington peninsula

Re: www.nearmap.com

Post by tatty » 02 May 11 1:16 pm

That could be confusing lol
Here it is:
%Name by %by (%dif/%ter)
:)

User avatar
GJMMelb
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Posts: 359
Joined: 06 June 09 12:06 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: www.nearmap.com

Post by GJMMelb » 02 May 11 1:20 pm

tatty wrote:That could be confusing lol
Here it is:
%Name by %by (%dif/%ter)
:)

THANKYOU Tatty!!!! lol

Will make sure I read all of the instructions in future before making changes lolol ](*,)

GJMMelb :lol:

tatty
Posts: 120
Joined: 05 August 03 7:29 pm
Location: mornington peninsula

Re: www.nearmap.com

Post by tatty » 02 May 11 1:37 pm

No worries :lol:
It could be easily done as I noticed every time you access that page it automatically has that field preselected.

User avatar
GJMMelb
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Posts: 359
Joined: 06 June 09 12:06 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: www.nearmap.com

Post by GJMMelb » 02 May 11 2:01 pm

tatty wrote:No worries :lol:
It could be easily done as I noticed every time you access that page it automatically has that field preselected.
Yep that's exactly what happened .... that field was preselected and I just automatically pasted the link into there without reading what it was lol :oops:

Thanks again

GJMMelb :)

Post Reply