Pocketwifi

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
bshwckr
500 or more caches logged
Twitter: bshwckr

Pocketwifi

Post by bshwckr » 08 December 10 8:25 pm

Just picked up a pocketwifi unit. So far very impressed. Have the Nuvifone and the iPhone both connected and speed is good.

http://shop.vodafone.com.au/broadbands? ... mbb:wifi:d

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Re: Pocketwifi

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 09 December 10 12:21 am

Isn't it possible to set up the iPhone as a wifi hotspot? I do this with my Nexus One (Android 2.2 introduced this as native, not requiring an add-on app) and it works very well, and I don't have another gadget to carry and keep charged!

bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 09 December 10 6:39 am

Papa Bear_Left wrote:Isn't it possible to set up the iPhone as a wifi hotspot? I do this with my Nexus One (Android 2.2 introduced this as native, not requiring an add-on app) and it works very well, and I don't have another gadget to carry and keep charged!
iPhone needs to be jailbroken and an app , MyWi needs to be purchased. I do have this setup. It drains the iPhone battery quickly. Using the pocketwifi I can turn off mobile data on the iPhone and this greatly extends it's battery life. I can also use my NZ data sim in the pocketwifi when there.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 09 December 10 7:06 am

groovy device ! the only draw back is your carrier, no service outside of town, this one works in a much LARGER area and is pre paid http://www.telstra.com.au/shop/Consumer ... DENTITY=NO

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 09 December 10 9:00 am

this is about the average wireless speed for a 21meg setup

bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 09 December 10 10:45 am

Mr Router wrote:groovy device ! the only draw back is your carrier, no service outside of town, this one works in a much LARGER area and is pre paid http://www.telstra.com.au/shop/Consumer ... DENTITY=NO
Once I use up my 3gb that came with the unit (all up $99), I intend to unlock it and stick my Telstra sim in for Aussie and my NZ Telecom sim when in NZ.
I like the vodafone model over the one on offer from Telstra as this unit has a display readout that shows signal strength, number of connected devices, battery meter, session time and amount of data per session.
It will cost me another $75 to unlock it.