Android Geocaching Apps

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
babynomad

Re: Android Geocaching Apps

Post by babynomad » 09 July 11 7:05 pm

I'm relatively new to geocaching. Downloaded Groundspeak app for my Samsung Galaxy tab and I've found nearly all the caches at random sites we visit.

My only problem is that the compass is very jumpy and not accourate.
I tend to stick to the map and zoom in to within a few metres of the cache.

Tried c:geo, but I found groundspeak far more user friendly.

Haven't done any geocaching without phone service yet - next week will test us then!!

Babynomad \:D/

cantanga
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by cantanga » 13 July 11 11:33 am

Has anyone tried GDAK?

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 13 July 11 7:03 pm

and there's another one I hadn't seen before called GCWatch, which tells you the caches your nominated friends have just have logged.

Soltus

Post by Soltus » 20 July 11 9:09 pm

Muh :)

I miss here in this thread a verry verry important informatin:

C:geo is open source now!!!!!

Check the Market :)
so if there is something you missing in c:geo feel free to change/add it ;)

Greetings,
Soltus

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 20 July 11 10:48 pm

Can someone please tell me how to mark a waypoint on an Android phone when using the navigation app.. Don't plan on ditching the "real" GPS but I'd like to know as i can't figure it out. #-o

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 20 July 11 10:57 pm

tronador wrote:Can someone please tell me how to mark a waypoint on an Android phone when using the navigation app.. Don't plan on ditching the "real" GPS but I'd like to know as i can't figure it out. #-o
I use gpsstatus, it shows the current location and allows you to share the location.

cantanga
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by cantanga » 21 July 11 2:52 pm

cantanga wrote:Has anyone tried GDAK?
To answer my own question I gave GDAK a go prior to destroying my phone.
If anyone else is currently thinking about trying it I suggest don't, at last in it's current form. No mapping (not even google), compass is extremely laggy, can't log a cache as found (maybe you have to be within a certain distance of the cache, I was on the way back to the car when I tried).
I will say that it does handle it's cache database well. I had all aussie GCA caches loaded, about 8000 of them, it took about 5 seconds to load that size database when I opened tyhe program on the A50 and then no lag when opening cache information. It contains all the information held in GSAK and it is well laid out.
To summarise: it is great for looking at cache information but rubbish for finding them.

tronador

Post by tronador » 21 July 11 11:47 pm

norkmeister wrote:
tronador wrote:Can someone please tell me how to mark a waypoint on an Android phone when using the navigation app.. Don't plan on ditching the "real" GPS but I'd like to know as i can't figure it out. #-o
I use gpsstatus, it shows the current location and allows you to share the location.
Is this another app.????

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 22 July 11 7:40 am

tronador wrote:
norkmeister wrote:
Is this another app.????
Yep
http://www.androlib.com/android.applica ... s2-zF.aspx

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 29 August 11 12:41 am

Thank you nerdmiesters and the like!
I have scanned through all the words spoken and could understand very little but from what I gleaned fro it all I have now downloaded c:geo and GeoHunter for my Galaxy S II. Have fiddled, downloaded, uploaded and become confused and slightly overwhelmed but I think it was all beneficial!
After a bit more fiddling I will know!

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 29 August 11 7:31 am

MtnLioness wrote:Thank you nerdmiesters and the like!
I have scanned through all the words spoken and could understand very little but from what I gleaned fro it all I have now downloaded c:geo and GeoHunter for my Galaxy S II. Have fiddled, downloaded, uploaded and become confused and slightly overwhelmed but I think it was all beneficial!
After a bit more fiddling I will know!
Chuck GDAK into the mix too. No map on it though :(

ollave
100 or more tracks walked

Post by ollave » 14 September 11 8:51 pm

mtrax wrote:I was surprised by the big improvement on battery when you turn off 3G, I almost doubled my battery life with 3G off, so perhaps you should try "cache" or download the data and use it in a off-line mode or perhaps just turn on 3G occasionally when you need it.
Interesting, I'm going to try this: I'm with Optus, and often the phone says "3G" and sits there ... failing to download an application or web page and then falls back to some lower level and proceeds at a tolerable pace. I'd rather have slow-but-sure than fast-but-not-really. Fingers crossed.

ollave

Post by ollave » 14 September 11 8:54 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:[
I've got a HTC wildfire and am running c:geo as well an my battery lasts a whole day easily (I have wi-fi and mobile internet turned off and GPS turned on)
I'm reasonably happy with it, c:geo is a little slow sometimes but other than that all good - I do still take printouts for multi-caches though as c:geo doesn't really support them very well.
Its certainly a lot easier they downloading gpx files and transferring them to a GPS and making some notes about D/T, size, hints, ect. to print out.
I take a (paper) notebook. It also lets me write notes about what caches I find, so that I can officially log them later with a real keyboard and not a phone "keyboard". "Soft" keyboards on a smart phone sized screen makes me a fumble fingers.

ollave

Post by ollave » 14 September 11 9:00 pm

babynomad wrote:I'm relatively new to geocaching. Downloaded Groundspeak app for my Samsung Galaxy tab and I've found nearly all the caches at random sites we visit.

My only problem is that the compass is very jumpy and not accourate.
I tend to stick to the map and zoom in to within a few metres of the cache.
Babynomad \:D/
I'm combining an Android phone, c:geo, an application called "Bluetooth GPS" and an external GPSr logger to get much better GPSr accuracy than my (cheap, Huawei Sonic) phone possesses.

Details in this posting on groundspeak.com:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... pic=282037

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 14 September 11 9:08 pm

Anybody who finds typing on an Android keyboard tiresome should try Swype.
It makes keyboard input a pleasure, so much so that I tend do all my logs on my HTC Desire now, in the field using c:geo, and my preference is to do longish logs.
Sorry iPhone users, no version for you yet.
http://www.swype.com/category/tips/tips-videos/

It may look a little strange at first, but spend 20mins trying it and you'll be converted.
It now comes standard on the
Samsung Galaxy S3
HTC EVO 3D and some others.