Android Geocaching Apps

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Android Geocaching Apps

Post by CraigRat » 20 August 12 10:40 pm

Cache sense

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 21 August 12 11:43 am

Thanks for that :)

amryall

Post by amryall » 22 August 12 4:52 pm

CraigRat wrote:With the GC app when you log it it seems to log it as the server time, which in this case is the GC HQ (Washington) time, which for a large chunk of the day will be yesterday.

You need to change the date manually online
how do you do this?

and, it was all good and working in the previous 3 months, only just started doing this in the past week.

Thanks for the info peoples!!

Kiwi_Explorer
2250 or more geocaches found

Post by Kiwi_Explorer » 22 August 12 8:07 pm

amryall wrote:
how do you do this?

and, it was all good and working in the previous 3 months, only just started doing this in the past week.
Go to GC.com and edit your log, that allows you to change the date.

The difference in dates from your first few months of use could be due to the time of the day you are posting your logs. At certain times during the day the time zones are in sync in terms of day. Certainly posting logs in the am in NZ or Aus would normally be a day ahead of the US zone.

amryall

Post by amryall » 22 August 12 10:03 pm

Thanks for your info, i have been manually changing the dates, (just a bit of a pain).

it has also messed up some trackables i've logged, they aren't in my inventory. will just have to hope that after i put them out they are logged by the next person coz i can't "drop" them online.

i guess these are minor hassles, it still won't slow my hunting caches!

Thanks again!

Team Red Roo
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Roo » 04 November 12 8:25 pm

For GSAK users there is a Android application called GDAK which can read multiple database files exported from GSAK. This is a one way read only and once the database is opened by GDAK it can't be exported back to GSAK.

GDAK operates well on both smart phones and tablets (Samsung Galaxy Ace / Asus Transformer Pad TF301). As a GSAK macro author, I have published 2 macros to assist in loading GSAK databases to Android devices.

GDAK can access the GC API allowing cache information to be updated directly if needed, and development of a method of transferring information (found logs etc) back to GSAK is continuing. At this stage, I have no information on how effective GDAK is in it's use of the API though.

bshwckr
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged
Twitter: bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 22 January 13 6:41 pm

Just found an interesting Android app that could be used as an additional tool for geocaching. Its called Cloudnotion. The idea is that using your android device, you leave a geolocated message. The message is only received when you are within a certain distance from where the message was left. When someone else using the same app comes within range, they receive this message. They also have the ability to post a message that gets sent to the original message author. It is only in beta mode at the moment with little detail or options. I am not sure how close you need to be to get the message and I cannot see any settings for changing this. Still, I think it has promise. Uses could be, getting the next co-ordinate in a multi, getting a better clue etc. It could work similar to a Garmin Chirp without the need to buy a Chirp and maintain its batteries, and a lot more people have Android devices than Chirp capable Garmins. This could be a great add-on feature to the official GC Android (or ios) app.
To get me back into caching this year, I am going to devise a GCA cache that incorporates this app. Just thinking of the most devious way to implement it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... loudnotion

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 29 January 13 4:40 pm

bshwckr wrote:a Chirp and maintain its batteries
Interestingly I have a Chirp that has been going strong for well over two years and still transmits 15m.
Original battery.

2y'stassies
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by 2y'stassies » 13 February 13 8:23 pm

CraigRat wrote:Cache sense
I have just installed CacheSense and it is working very well for GC. However, I cannot work out how to access GA caches as well. Any help would be appreciated.
Phil (of 2y'stassies)

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found

Post by Happy Chappies » 25 February 13 10:58 am

What is the collective wisdom in regards to the best android app for offline use only on a relatively low-powered phone? I've just acquired a very basic smartphone and won't be using data in the field, so is there a recommendation as to the best app for this? I have GSAK and would assume to use that to manage/send to the phone (my assumptions anyway....)

It's also worth noting that the phone (being a Samsung) runs Navigon, so any apps that could easily work alongside/with that would be even better....

Thanks muchly...

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 25 February 13 12:46 pm

Happy Chappies wrote:What is the collective wisdom in regards to the best android app for offline use only on a relatively low-powered phone? I've just acquired a very basic smartphone and won't be using data in the field, so is there a recommendation as to the best app for this? I have GSAK and would assume to use that to manage/send to the phone (my assumptions anyway....)

It's also worth noting that the phone (being a Samsung) runs Navigon, so any apps that could easily work alongside/with that would be even better....

Thanks muchly...
Well I just did a little test with c:geo.
If you uncheck "Use Google Navigation" in settings, it will let you choose Navigon as the default for Turn by Turn navigation, so that's one tick.
You can import GPX files, so that's another tick.

I've tried CacheSense and a couple of others but keep coming back to c:geo for smartphone use.
I usually use GSAK to load up my Oregon and use Field Notes into GSAK for logging, and only use my phone in emergencies however, as they phones just don't cut it for ruggedness, battery life, convenience and GPS accuracy. I do use the phone for the GCA caches however as nothing rivals GA Cacher for those.

Why are you staying away from online data? Without it, it's almost pointless having a smartphone.
I'm on a $20 month phone plan with a 1Gb for $10 Telstra data pack, and use it quite a bit, but rarely exceed 30-40% of it each month.
I don't make many phone calls, and when I do, they're short.

Happy Chappies

Post by Happy Chappies » 25 February 13 6:05 pm

gmj3191 wrote:
Happy Chappies wrote:What is the collective wisdom in regards to the best android app for offline use only on a relatively low-powered phone? I've just acquired a very basic smartphone and won't be using data in the field, so is there a recommendation as to the best app for this? I have GSAK and would assume to use that to manage/send to the phone (my assumptions anyway....)

Thanks muchly...
Well I just did a little test with c:geo.
If you uncheck "Use Google Navigation" in settings, it will let you choose Navigon as the default for Turn by Turn navigation, so that's one tick.
You can import GPX files, so that's another tick.

I've tried CacheSense and a couple of others but keep coming back to c:geo for smartphone use.
I usually use GSAK to load up my Oregon and use Field Notes into GSAK for logging, and only use my phone in emergencies however, as they phones just don't cut it for ruggedness, battery life, convenience and GPS accuracy. I do use the phone for the GCA caches however as nothing rivals GA Cacher for those.

Why are you staying away from online data? Without it, it's almost pointless having a smartphone.
I'm on a $20 month phone plan with a 1Gb for $10 Telstra data pack, and use it quite a bit, but rarely exceed 30-40% of it each month.
I don't make many phone calls, and when I do, they're short.
Thanks. c:geo sounds like just the ticket then, at least for a first try.

Re online data - I'm on prepaid, so will purchase it occasionally as required, but it's just something I don't honestly need day-to-day - The 'smart' elements of the phone will be mostly about GPS stuff (c:geo, runkeeper, navigation), with the added calendar/organiser element, which don't really require online data.

geo_jas

Post by geo_jas » 26 February 13 5:59 am

I've settled on Locus for my smartphone caching. I used to use it happily without data.

I can load in GCA gpx files and have all my caches in one app. I use openstreet maps on it (downloaded offline) which I like better than google for all the extra walking tracks that seen to be included in most areas.

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 03 April 13 10:45 pm

Transtioning from iOS to Android.

With my gc.com app, I can pull up nearby caches when on the go (I'm a basic member). That's handy as I'm not much of a gc.com cacher so don't need premium member benefits.

Can CacheSense or another app replicate that 'online' / 'on the go' aspect? Basically I don't want to pay $10 just for the gc.com app when I can get better apps for half the price.

Kiwi_Explorer

Post by Kiwi_Explorer » 04 April 13 5:37 am

Cache Sense has a demo version and I'm pretty sure it will do everything that the gc.com app does plus more I'm a premium member but I think it does the basic nearest 5 caches if you aren't.