Android Geocaching Apps

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Re: Android Geocaching Apps

Post by akkatracker » 29 May 12 6:37 pm

gmj3191 wrote:Just use the Android app, GA Cacher for GCA caches.
http://tinyurl.com/76j69hm
+1

nellc
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by nellc » 04 June 12 6:07 pm

I paid for the Groundspeak app and found it to be great. I have had no problems at all and it has been pretty well spot on target. The only problem is the phone battery, but that is a different matter.

gb2516

Post by gb2516 » 11 June 12 5:38 pm

Hi, I have the Groundspeak app. I find it quite good... except, it records the date as the time in the US. Useless as here in Oz. I've looked at settings on the app (& on my geocaching.com account) and can't find anything. Does anyone know a solution for this annoying issue? It's great to be able to log out in the field & then 'forget' about having to do further input when I get home. However, if I want my stats to be accurate, then on a big caching day(s) I have go back through all the logs and change all the dates...

Kiwi_Explorer
2250 or more geocaches found

Post by Kiwi_Explorer » 11 June 12 7:49 pm

gb2516 wrote:Hi, I have the Groundspeak app. I find it quite good... except, it records the date as the time in the US. Useless as here in Oz. I've looked at settings on the app (& on my geocaching.com account) and can't find anything. Does anyone know a solution for this annoying issue?
The easiest solution is to get another app developed by someone that actually listens to their users and fixes bugs that are reported. That date issue has been around forever with that app and has never been fixed by the developers as far as I am aware. It's a key reason why I never used that app after discovering the problem even though I had paid for it. :( In NZ and Aus almost every cache is logged as found on the wrong day, it makes a mess of your stats. I believe that the same issue existed with NeonGeo when I tried that app. cGeo (not endorsed by GroundSpeak as it breaks their terms of use) and CacheSense (endorsed by GroundSpeak) both deal with dates correctly and have greater functionality than the GroundSpeak app. CacheSense is my phone caching app of choice now and it's getting better every week.

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 14 June 12 1:23 pm

I recently got a Samsung Galaxy and one of the first things I did was of course to find and read this topic. Many thanks to those who contribute to it. I downloaded NeonGeo and have been VERY happy with it. Easy to use, great maps, cache data easy to access and read, particularly on that lovely big screen!

May try one or more of the other apps later but for now am enjoying caching as it is. I still use GSAK for logging but.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 June 12 2:32 pm

Really?
I use GSAK for logging finds :mrgreen:

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 14 June 12 4:23 pm

Alansee wrote:I recently got a Samsung Galaxy and one of the first things I did was of course to find and read this topic. Many thanks to those who contribute to it. I downloaded NeonGeo and have been VERY happy with it. Easy to use, great maps, cache data easy to access and read, particularly on that lovely big screen!

May try one or more of the other apps later but for now am enjoying caching as it is. I still use GSAK for logging but.
I bought a SGS2 recently as well. They're getting pretty cheap now that the S3 has been released.
I tend to log using Neongeo if I'm not in a hurry, and log at home afterwards on my PC if I'm with someone else or in a hurry.
In that case I upload the field notes from my Oregon into gc.com and use those to log from so I get the time and order of finds correct.

Bells Angels
Twitter: cbjbell

Post by Bells Angels » 24 June 12 6:40 pm

Just last week I picked up a shiny new Samsung Galaxy S III. I've always wanted to cache on my phone because of the better software but the precision of my Garmin keeps me going back to using both together. Previous phones - IPhone and SGS1 were not always reliable with the GPS.

On Friday I got half a day to myself and no GPSr except the phone, I loaded up my current favourite app CacheSense and set off. Well 9 out of 10 caches later I must say I'm pretty happy. Most of the time I was getting 18/18 satellites. I've never seen so many satellites. Using mostly the radar in CacheSense led me to a very successful 4 hours. Battery life was better than I expected but i've already bought two spare batteries and a charger from ebay for future occasions. Things are looking good with this phone.

Cheers

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 24 June 12 8:03 pm

Bells Angels wrote:Just last week I picked up a shiny new Samsung Galaxy S III. I've always wanted to cache on my phone because of the better software but the precision of my Garmin keeps me going back to using both together. Previous phones - IPhone and SGS1 were not always reliable with the GPS.

On Friday I got half a day to myself and no GPSr except the phone, I loaded up my current favourite app CacheSense and set off. Well 9 out of 10 caches later I must say I'm pretty happy. Most of the time I was getting 18/18 satellites. I've never seen so many satellites. Using mostly the radar in CacheSense led me to a very successful 4 hours. Battery life was better than I expected but i've already bought two spare batteries and a charger from ebay for future occasions. Things are looking good with this phone.

Cheers
18 Outrageous!!! =D> =D> =D> :shock: :shock:
Where abouts in sydney were you? Better head there next week :P

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 24 June 12 8:06 pm

Never mind about that- Balmoral is a great place for some easy finds... wish I could say that for my surrounds (another rock wall...)
Used the sensation today with 4m accuracy to get closeish to a cache and then for the power to run out :oops:

Alansee

Post by Alansee » 25 June 12 3:50 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Really?
I use GSAK for logging finds :mrgreen:

LOL Just saw this one! :lol:

Alansee

Post by Alansee » 25 June 12 4:01 pm

Uploading Android Logs to GSAK.

For those who may be interested, I have hit upon a method to create my logs on the Galaxy and upload them into GSAK. Not as dead simple as using a laptop, but if you don't have a laptop, and still want to log using GSAK, it works.

Details are -

Create the log on the Galaxy. (I am using NeonGeo but I fully expect that this will be the same in similar apps) and save it to file. The file should be a .txt file and the name and location will vary with your app.

Use the macro FieldNotesImportAndLog.gsk by SnoWake and Lignumaqua to import the data into a selected GSAK database.

To easy once you know how.

You can then continue with the macro to upload the logs to GC.com if you wish. I prefer not to.

Presumably this works with other operating systems as well.

Kiwi_Explorer

Post by Kiwi_Explorer » 25 June 12 7:03 pm

Alansee wrote:Uploading Android Logs to GSAK.

For those who may be interested, I have hit upon a method to create my logs on the Galaxy and upload them into GSAK. Not as dead simple as using a laptop, but if you don't have a laptop, and still want to log using GSAK, it works.
I used to do a similar thing using Cachemate and the GSAK macro for logging bigger caching days. But since the improvements to the software apps that can use the GC.com API I haven't had the need to do it that way. I would be interested to know why you aren't just logging your finds direct via NeonGeo using your Galaxy??? (Is it the text input with the phone keyboard? I still find typing anything on my Android phone a pain)

Alansee

Post by Alansee » 29 June 12 10:37 am

I still prefer to post via GSAK because -

- yes typing on a smart phone is not as easy
- I then have a record in GSAK (although I could download the logs from GC.com)
- I also update my GSAK notes at the same time - very useful when people PAF me
- I can edit more easily in GSAK, and
- I can log to GC.com in bulk

Each to their own!

pprass
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by pprass » 08 July 12 10:23 am

I avoid typing into my smart phone as it is way too slow and fiddley for me. And in any case, if I'm caching with guys like Alansee or Robmc, they don't wait for no one to muck about when there is another cache to be found :P
I just make a voice recording and replay it while I am writing the logs with that marvelous GSAK "Geocaching.com access" function.
I still feel that using the phones to log a cache in the field encourages brevity.