Android Geocaching Apps

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Re: Android Geocaching Apps

Post by gmj3191 » 29 September 11 12:52 pm

Is it better than c:gen?
Looks like it can manage Trackables which is good.
Can't search on cache size yet.
This thing is brand new, it will be interesting to see how it develops.
What sort of tablet to you have Craig? I went caching with GCMelb last week and his iPad2 made the GC app look very good.
I reckon c:geo would like pretty good on an Android tablet as well.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 29 September 11 4:11 pm

today has been a groover \:D/ loaded Ozi to my e today, i like it that much, even in beta i paid for it :shock: on the 10 screen it is just the goods, cannot wait for more development on this one :D
so that makes
GDAK
Ozi
google earth (minus kml, arrrr)

with this and our 60 i think caching is wrapped up
Another plus with the tablet is it can go to gz with you, then take an extra 5 min's and log the cache, totally groovy :D

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 29 September 11 4:28 pm

just found that all apps work at once on the gps \:D/ switching between is easy ! till they join gdak to ozi ! hint hint

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 29 September 11 4:36 pm

Mr Router wrote: Another plus with the tablet is it can go to gz with you, then take an extra 5 min's and log the cache, totally groovy :D
Have you got Swype on it?
Might be able to reduce that logging time :D

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 29 September 11 4:38 pm

no i dont have swype, it has a good sized key pad though !

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 29 September 11 5:19 pm

gmj3191 wrote:What sort of tablet to you have Craig? I went caching with GCMelb last week and his iPad2 made the GC app look very good.
I reckon c:geo would like pretty good on an Android tablet as well.
Acer Iconia A500, an awesome bit of kit.

Can't say I've used c:geo on it yet, not a great fan of the app myself.

I use NeonGeo and Locus on the Tablet for planning, GeOrg on the phone for anything in the field.
Still use the Oregon more often than not though.

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 29 September 11 6:34 pm

score one Ozi ! i paid the reddies and in under an hour i had that horrible watermark removed =D> thanx heaps to Des, excellent service =D>

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 29 September 11 7:35 pm

Mr Router wrote:score one Ozi ! i paid the reddies and in under an hour i had that horrible watermark removed =D> thanx heaps to Des, excellent service =D>
I've been using Ozi since I started Geodashing and caching in 2002, and it was very good in those days, the best available mapping application for us ordinary folk, and used all over the world.
A few years ago when it was able to use Google maps, Google satellite, OSM, Nearmaps etc it got even better.
I usually export groups of caches to it from GSAK to help plan expeditions.
Great to know that that these fantastic products like GSAK and Oziexplorer are developed locally and are best of breed.

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 30 September 11 10:38 am

i to am a long term user of Ozi :D other wise i would not pay to be a beta tester for android :oops: great product =D>

can anyone talk to GE Droid and ask about user file inclusion, pleeeeeeeeeeese

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 30 September 11 12:35 pm

The OruxMaps app. for Android is similar-ish to OziExplorer, once you get past the Europeanness of it's operation. Beware the user manual (egad yes) however, straight from Google Translate IE: needs interpretation in places which kind of defeats the purpose :?: .

Bells Angels
Twitter: cbjbell

Post by Bells Angels » 01 October 11 12:23 am

CraigRat wrote:
Bells Angels wrote:Anyone tryed the new geocaching app for Android called NeonGeo? Very impressive. It's a paid app ($4) and seems pretty good to me.
It's pretty good!
Now if only it would take caches from other sites via GPX and handle them properly (you dont get hints etc for GCA caches if you import a GPX)

It's REALLY nice on a tablet!
Funnily enough I just tried it on my Transformer. The first day I bought it (neongeo) for my phone and I liked it, got home and tryed to put it on my tablet and it wanted my $4 again. I was going to write a bad review because its the first time i've bought an app that wanted me to pay again on another device. But today I had another look and it came up as purchased so must've been a market glitch. Have to take it out with me tomorrow. I can't see me walking around with a tablet but in the car it'll be nice

Bells Angels

Post by Bells Angels » 01 October 11 12:27 am

gmj3191 wrote:
Mr Router wrote: Another plus with the tablet is it can go to gz with you, then take an extra 5 min's and log the cache, totally groovy :D
Have you got Swype on it?
Might be able to reduce that logging time :D
Hey if you don't have Swype, try the FREE FlexT9 (Australia) keyboard which does swyping. I use it on both tablet (when not using keyboard dock) and phone. Switch between swiping, typing, voice input or even handwriting when logging finds all the time.

Bells Angels

Post by Bells Angels » 01 October 11 12:33 am

By the way, the Official Groundspeak app was upgraded yesterday and has some much needed new features (Such as trackable support)

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 01 October 11 4:31 pm

my tablet is humming along, without being able to link Ozi and GDAK has proved to be no problem ! with both opening and the gps happily talking to both , all i do is toggle between screens, to read all about the cache then go back to ozi.
so after 2 minutes at the start of a run synced to the lappy to get a wpt file and a GSAK data file, under 2 minutes, it is ready to mount and not be touched much more, as with a bt mouse 98% can be done without the tab docking to it's keyboard \:D/
the ultimate toy at the moment :D

ollave
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by ollave » 13 October 11 10:51 am

gmj3191 wrote:Anybody who finds typing on an Android keyboard tiresome should try Swype.
It makes keyboard input a pleasure, so much so that I tend do all my logs on my HTC Desire now, in the field using c:geo, and my preference is to do longish logs.
Sorry iPhone users, no version for you yet.
http://www.swype.com/category/tips/tips-videos/

It may look a little strange at first, but spend 20mins trying it and you'll be converted.
20 minutes? They had me hooked faster than that, once my registration got sorted. And yeah, I'll pay for the product when it's out of beta, unless their price is totally outrageous, in which case I'll wait for the first imitator. :D

I'm now keen to write my logs in the field, in order, and to make them more interesting. Hunting and pecking about the possum I met yesterday while replacing a cache; hard work. "Swyping" one more sentence: easy. And it must make for more interesting log reading for the cache owners, who tend to get, um, bored by "TFTC"!