Garmin Asus A50 - Software

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Re: Garmin Asus A50 - Software

Post by Zalgariath » 27 December 10 10:38 pm

Argh! Ive gotten that same error... once I installed an SD Card, Garmin Maps stopped working! :stabby

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 27 December 10 10:46 pm

I just whacked my SD card in from my Nokia and it worked. Nabarlek clearly had problems though.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 27 December 10 10:54 pm

Cached wrote:I just whacked my SD card in from my Nokia and it worked. Nabarlek clearly had problems though.
My SD card was from my Blackberry... it worked for a day, now I get errors whenever I try to open the Garmin Maps :( Looking into it...

Nabarlek
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Nabarlek » 28 December 10 10:10 am

I had quite a few problems with this. I formatted the whole thing several times with the same problem. Formatting the sd card while it is in the phone and then resetting the phone worked for me. It was one of the most frustrating issues ever. ](*,)

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 28 December 10 11:30 am

Zalgariath wrote:However, before I paid up I thought Id run a little experiment and popped my old prepay Telstra SIM in... and guess what. Ring Ring, it worked! :shock:

Pulled out the work Blackberry, which is locked to Vodaphone, took out the SIM, popped it into the A50 and Bang! Still can make calls and browse the net \:D/

So it seems the locking... doesnt actually lock at all. $200 for a phone with an RRP of $600? Thank you!
Even though DSE have been saying that the phone is locked, it has been well proven that it isn't, and will work with any network. Just remember that it wont get NextG coverage with Telstra, but they will get coverage none the less.

Also DSE were promoting the fact that the phones were coming with 2.2, even though for most of the time that they had the sale on Garmin hadn't even released 2.1, and when they did, they were still saying that it came with 2.2, at the same time that they handed you a piece of paper explaining how to upgrade to 2.1 :roll:

There are 2 threads running on Whirlpool that cover a lot of information on the phone, including how to get rid of the annoying optus junk that is forced on to your phone. :P

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 28 December 10 12:58 pm

setsujoku wrote:There are 2 threads running on Whirlpool that cover a lot of information on the phone, including how to get rid of the annoying optus junk that is forced on to your phone. :P

\:D/ Links please? :D

TiedyeSmileys
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by TiedyeSmileys » 28 December 10 6:14 pm

Haven't tried it myself yet, but there is info on getting rid of the Optus Bloat stuff starting from this page on a whirlpool forum:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 72580&p=14

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 28 December 10 11:36 pm

TiedyeSmileys wrote:Haven't tried it myself yet, but there is info on getting rid of the Optus Bloat stuff starting from this page on a whirlpool forum:

Weee thanks! Might give it a try :D

setsujoku
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 29 December 10 8:48 pm

TiedyeSmileys wrote:Haven't tried it myself yet, but there is info on getting rid of the Optus Bloat stuff starting from this page on a whirlpool forum:

The other one is located here:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=1577275

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 31 December 10 12:39 am

ARGH!!! I still have the "Garmin Services Temp Unavailable" error :evil:

Brand New SD Card... Formated in phone, Hard Reset, redownloaded and installed maps (as suggested on Whirlpool)... still fudged :(

Not Happy Jan.

andiamo
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by andiamo » 02 January 11 9:20 am

Finally did the SW update and phone indicates firmware version 2.1-update1. Have noticed though that the GPS Version is listed as V1.3.9 when under the old 1.6 firmware verson the GPS was V3.2.25. I'm assuming this will not be a good thing :(

Pacmania

Post by Pacmania » 07 January 11 3:22 pm

I had the same error, and I found it was related to GPX files. As soon as I loaded some GPX files (either local or SD memory), the phone would load them into 'Where To? / Saved locations', and then the problems would start.

I've now switched to Geo Hunter (which uses its own database, not GPX files), and after I sync GPX updates to the database, I go straight into 'Where To? / Saved locations' and delete them all.

Hope this helps.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 07 January 11 9:03 pm

I was making good progress with the guys at Garmin Australia who had replicated the error on their unit. Mine is competely clean, hard reset and all so it has to be somethign t do with the software update. Im not worried at the moment as I am now in England and without purchasing UK maps the Garmin maps are now useless to me. Geobeagle now has every single cache in the UK and Ireland on it and works fine. Googlemaps works in coverage areas and I'll try the ozimaps app soon which will be perfect.

Garming Australia were really helpful, and nice, and located in Australia. Give'em a call if you need support!

They are working on this issue now ;)

Briggbottoms
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by Briggbottoms » 08 January 11 12:36 am

I had the same error, and I found it was related to GPX files. As soon as I loaded some GPX files (either local or SD memory), the phone would load them into 'Where To? / Saved locations', and then the problems would start.

I've now switched to Geo Hunter (which uses its own database, not GPX files), and after I sync GPX updates to the database, I go straight into 'Where To? / Saved locations' and delete them all.
Love GeoHunter. I download ZIPped GPXs from GCA queries and don't have to delete them as the .zip extension is obviously not picked up by the Garmin Saved Locations. New downloads overwrite old and GeoHunter's sync gets any new data.

Cheers.

Pacmania

Post by Pacmania » 08 January 11 8:59 am

Didnt realise you could use ZIPs directly. Even better now I don't have to clean up after updating :D. Thanks!