Garmin Asus A50 - Software

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Garmin Asus A50 - Software

Post by CraigRat » 01 December 10 7:25 pm

bshwckr wrote:
CraigRat wrote: Ozi is Windows/Windows Mobile only, so no luck there
Not yet but hopefully soon.
http://www.oziexplorer3.com/ozice/faq_os.html
Sweet!

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 04 December 10 3:34 pm

For those that are still thinking about it, DSE still have them on sale for $199 and have apparently got more stock in. We bought one and I'm really impressed with it, especially for the price.

Even if you bought one of these just for the maps/GPSr functions it's a bargain!

Will be great if there is a Ozi droid released as it will make this great phone even better again. Though having said that it will make any droid phone powerful enough to run Ozi even better. :D

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 04 December 10 4:41 pm

setsujoku wrote:Will be great if there is a Ozi droid released as it will make this great phone even better again. Though having said that it will make any droid phone powerful enough to run Ozi even better. :D
Given OziCE ran on a 200Mhz PDA fine I'd like to think that a 1Ghz Android phone could run it.......... then again, as computing devices get faster somehow they seem to take longer to do stuff...go figure!

bshwckr
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged
Twitter: bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 05 December 10 9:48 pm

The Alpha version seems to work fine with its as yet limited functionality on the A50

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 09 December 10 8:17 pm

Think I found my Christmas present... I need a next g smart phone for the UK as the boss takes the Blackberry off me (Its on a 2 year Vodaphone contract :( )

Plus it will be an upgrade from the TomTom in terms of maps and paperless caching ;)

Echo
1800 or more caches found

Post by Echo » 13 December 10 12:33 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to load caches on to the nuvifone and have them show up on the standard garmin maps as anything more than a small black square?

I've noticed that if you load them into geobeagle they automatically go into the saved locations in "Where to", but I can't find a way to change the symbol on them as a group.

Have tried to load them as a group POI with a distinct symbol with no success yet. :?: [-o<

SA_ParrotHead
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by SA_ParrotHead » 14 December 10 10:02 am

These look like they might be good for those of us that seem to scratch their screens just by loking at them.

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/gar ... hields.php

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 14 December 10 11:51 am

Wish there was an aussie retailer ;D

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 14 December 10 1:18 pm

I have Zagg covers on my oregon - they are awesome.

Think we got ours from expressmounts.com

Cached

SA_ParrotHead

Post by SA_ParrotHead » 15 December 10 11:24 am

There was a Zagg shop in Oz but I couldnt find this product on the site.
Only ended up costing $4 postage.

Nabarlek
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Nabarlek » 16 December 10 10:05 am

For some reason my gps is out by a fair way. I live at no. 5 and it gives my position as no. 7....sometimes no.9! Does anyone know how I can fix this? My maps are all up to date and it aquires satellites no problems. When I'm using it for in-car navigation it's ok but it's an issue when I'm on foot, or when I'm posting co-ords for a gnome I've moved :shock: Does anyone know how I can get it to be more accurate? (this is a new thing..it used to be fine). I am going away this weekend to Brisbane and was going to be using it up there...now I'm not so sure I want to do that :lol:

Echo

Post by Echo » 16 December 10 1:07 pm

Have a look at CraigRat's blog for GPS averaging: http://androidcaching.com/?p=128

It will help with your placing Gnomes but probably not your walking accuracy.
All GPSr's will tend to fluctuate a bit, that's just the nature of the beast. :-$

Nabarlek
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Nabarlek » 19 December 10 6:54 pm

Thank you Echo! :)

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 26 December 10 4:21 pm

Ok so I got my Nuvifone for Christmas. Taking a bit of getting used too but I likes it :D

I (...sorry SANTA) got mine for $200 from Dickies and yesterday I tested the GPS, all seemed to work fine except callibrating the compass... I hooked up to my home WIFI and instantly upgraded to 2.1, no probs.

This morning I called Optus to unlock it as I am going to Europe... aware it should be $80 to do so. Fair price I suppose. I was told I had to activate the SIM so I did, got it linked to my Optus account and was told while I did have to pat $80, it was $80 CREDIT! \:D/ Which when you recharge is like $500 of usage, which I could use in England..SCORE! On top of that it comes with $10 standard credit too.

However, before I paid up I thought Id run a little experiment and popped my old prepay Telstra SIM in... and guess what. Ring Ring, it worked! :shock:

Pulled out the work Blackberry, which is locked to Vodaphone, took out the SIM, popped it into the A50 and Bang! Still can make calls and browse the net \:D/

So it seems the locking... doesnt actually lock at all. $200 for a phone with an RRP of $600? Thank you!

Apps Ive loaded so far (all free)
Geobeagle... need to by a micro SD :D
MSN Messenger
Advanced App Kill
Facebook, Youtube, Googlemaps (really necessary!?) and a lot of others were preinstalled

Now... anyone figured out how to DELETE Myspace and other useless apps? I cant seem to kill them... :stabby Thanks!

Update: Following SA Parrotheads instructions I have got the POI's and the GPX's uploaded to the Waypoints and Geobeagle! \:D/ Ive just uploaded 85mB (6000) full GPX files created from GSAK... all my unfound NSW caches! Testing it out tomorrow... cant wait! :D

Cached

Post by Cached » 27 December 10 9:53 am

I've been having aload of fun with mine too. Can't work out how to remove preinstalled trash, but am thinking that may be a dead end. Be nice if we could dump it all in a folder or something.

I've paid and d/l'd the GC app too, just have to find it! It seems to be hiding...