Garmin Asus A50 - Software

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Nabarlek
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Re: Garmin Asus A50 - Software

Post by Nabarlek » 22 November 10 6:44 pm

when I have tried bcaching before it hasn't accepted GCA files. I have not tired since the 1.1 update. I have used gsak to make garmin poi and loaded them onto the phone. So I have access to gca caches that way..but no details or logs for them. But that's ok..I can still get to them :) Would be easier if I could get them into geobeagle though.

In the next couple of days i will buy another sd card and see if it will accept that.

Nabarlek
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Nabarlek » 24 November 10 12:41 am

*sigh* it's started again and I haven't put any sd cards or anything in it. Haven't even turned it on since I got it all working. Back to 'garmin services are unavailable' whenever I try to use Where To?

](*,)

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 24 November 10 11:02 am

Nabarlek wrote:*sigh* it's started again and I haven't put any sd cards or anything in it. Haven't even turned it on since I got it all working. Back to 'garmin services are unavailable' whenever I try to use Where To?

](*,)
Give garmin-asus support a call

1-800-552-608

Nabarlek
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Nabarlek » 24 November 10 11:13 am

I did a master clear. Put the sd card in and formatted it and it's all working again. The only thing I haven't put on it is any caches. There is a chance that it has been one of those files all along. I will load a few gpx files through the sd card later today. If it starts again I will be calling them.

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 24 November 10 11:29 am

Nabarlek wrote:I did a master clear. Put the sd card in and formatted it and it's all working again. The only thing I haven't put on it is any caches. There is a chance that it has been one of those files all along. I will load a few gpx files through the sd card later today. If it starts again I will be calling them.
Keep a record of what software you install and try to find if it is related to a piece of software.

Nabarlek
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Nabarlek » 24 November 10 3:01 pm

yep doing that. I've downloaded 10 caches from geocaching.com and uploaded them from the sd card. No problems. I have tried GeoBeagle and GeoHunter. They both work fine except I can not use turn-by-turn navigation with either of them unless I have an internet connection. That's ok because I can just do that from saved locations.

I know I've said this before but...at the moment it seems to be working just fine with the sd card in it and all [-o< Will upload some caches from gca and see how they go. If that works ok...then I think I will be using GeoHunter (like the proximity thingy) and will be gradually adding more files....taking it slow...baby steps [-o<

Briggbottoms
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by Briggbottoms » 25 November 10 2:48 pm

Nabarlek wrote:*sigh* it's started again and I haven't put any sd cards or anything in it. Haven't even turned it on since I got it all working. Back to 'garmin services are unavailable' whenever I try to use Where To?

](*,)
I got this error today (for the first time, hooray :? ) after power-cycling the A50 (also for the first time) and going straight into Where To? I then went into View Map and waited until it got a fix, then Where To? worked fine. The important factor might be that I have not upgraded from 1.6 to 2.1 yet, which points to some other factor in common perhaps.

Have you seen my post on loading GCA caches into GeoHunter without an SD card? I suspect using an SD might be generally a good idea (as it moves the read/write wearing out onto a replaceable component?) but I doubt it is necessary.

Cheers.

bshwckr
500 or more caches logged
Twitter: bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 29 November 10 7:59 pm

I couldn't resist it and bought the Asus Nuvifone A50 on special from Dick Smith. First impressions.... glad I have an iPhone! I am by no means an Apple fan boi but the iPhone does everything so much better except for the GPS. The GPS in the Nuvifone is equal to my Garmin 450. It picked up nicely on the recent flight to NZ, showing correct altitude and speed. The iPhone sitting next to it flatly refused to find a satellite.
I loaded Garmin Topo V3 Aus and NZ onto it and it struggles. When attempting to "browse to" it drops to a black screen that takes more than 5 minutes to clear. When it does finally get its act together, the screen looks literally brilliant and the screen scrolling is as smooth as any I have seen.
Second impressions.... The more I play with it and learn how to use it, I am still glad I have an iPhone... but not quite so much.
I am sweating on Oziexplorer for Android. This is why I actually bit the bullet and bought the Nuvifone.
I am not surprised that it does not measure up to the iPhone in most areas. The iPhone was over a grand and the Nuvifone was only $199
Tried a NZ Vodafone sim card in it hoping to use it as my local NZ phone while here but it did not work. Shows up as "No Sim"

Anybody tried OruxMaps?

pwags
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by pwags » 29 November 10 9:27 pm

Hi bshwckr,

Have you upgraded it yet to Android 2.1? I bought one, and upgraded immediately. So much better.

The Vodafone SIM wouldn't work because the phone is locked to Optus. $80 to break free if you need to use another network.

Cheers!

bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 30 November 10 4:39 am

pwags wrote:Hi bshwckr,

Have you upgraded it yet to Android 2.1? I bought one, and upgraded immediately. So much better.

The Vodafone SIM wouldn't work because the phone is locked to Optus. $80 to break free if you need to use another network.

Cheers!
Yes I upgraded to 2.1 before I done anything so cannot compare with the earlier version.
$80 to unlock is not too bad.

cantanga
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by cantanga » 30 November 10 8:59 am

pwags wrote: The Vodafone SIM wouldn't work because the phone is locked to Optus. $80 to break free if you need to use another network.
Sounds like you got stooged, I don't know of anyone who got a locked one from dick smith. I know mines not, and everyone who has tested it (from the reports I've read on whirlpool) has been able to run a telstra/3/vodafone/virgin/whatever sim in it so I don't think they are locked. I know I'm running a 3 sim in it with no problems.
bshwckr wrote:. When attempting to "browse to" it drops to a black screen that takes more than 5 minutes to clear
I have this issue only the route to home button works quickly when routing, everything else takes about 5 minutes, but once done it works with no issues again. Upgrading to 2.1 didn't help with this specific problem for me at all. However I prefer to use my navigon for routable navigation in a car anyway, much nicer display and features than the garmin.
That said I do love the nuvifone, for the price it can't be beaten and it does everything i want it to and I'm not locked into apple software.

bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 30 November 10 4:54 pm

cantanga wrote:
pwags wrote: The Vodafone SIM wouldn't work because the phone is locked to Optus. $80 to break free if you need to use another network.
Sounds like you got stooged, I don't know of anyone who got a locked one from dick smith. I know mines not, and everyone who has tested it (from the reports I've read on whirlpool) has been able to run a telstra/3/vodafone/virgin/whatever sim in it so I don't think they are locked. I know I'm running a 3 sim in it with no problems.
bshwckr wrote:. When attempting to "browse to" it drops to a black screen that takes more than 5 minutes to clear
I have this issue only the route to home button works quickly when routing, everything else takes about 5 minutes, but once done it works with no issues again. Upgrading to 2.1 didn't help with this specific problem for me at all. However I prefer to use my navigon for routable navigation in a car anyway, much nicer display and features than the garmin.
That said I do love the nuvifone, for the price it can't be beaten and it does everything i want it to and I'm not locked into apple software.
In the light of day, I tried the Vodafone sim again, this time the right way around, and yes it works. :mrgreen: Must look at getting those glasses I keep putting off. Nuvifone moves up another peg.
I thought the black screen was a Garmin topo thing. It is about 1.8gb after all. As mentioned earlier, it looks great when finally loaded. The 3D terrain also looks impressive. I had to set the detail level to low with the topo otherwise the contour lines were a bit too invasive. I agree that Navigon is nicer to use than the Garmin software though. I use Navigon on the iPhone and it is as close to perfect as a navigation system gets. Just lately though TomTom has been better at finding the correct route.
With my iPhone 4, I am not locked into using Apple software :-"

bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 01 December 10 3:28 pm

C:geo FREE! Nuvifone up another peg. If I can get Oziexplorer on it, the Garmin 450 will retire to the cupboard for all but "Chirp" caches.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 01 December 10 3:39 pm

bshwckr wrote:C:geo FREE! Nuvifone up another peg. If I can get Oziexplorer on it, the Garmin 450 will retire to the cupboard for all but "Chirp" caches.
Ozi is Windows/Windows Mobile only, so no luck there

I'm going to look at this tonight: http://www.oruxmaps.com/index_en.html and see if it's a good enough replacement.
I suppose I'll have to convert my ozfx3 maps into something else beforhand though :cry: (I'm hoping http://www.terraperfecta.com/demapper.php will work)

I'll write a review and shove it on my android caching site in the next few days.

bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 01 December 10 7:21 pm

CraigRat wrote: Ozi is Windows/Windows Mobile only, so no luck there
Not yet but hopefully soon.
http://www.oziexplorer3.com/ozice/faq_os.html