Mud maps?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
cantanga
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Mud maps?

Post by cantanga » 15 November 10 2:51 pm

This looks like it could be an interesting program if it lives up to this report in the always classy courier mail
http://www.couriermail.com.au/lifestyle ... 5952872331
Now I don't own an iphone and never will (I don't like the fact your locked into apple software like itunes, it's practically microsoft tactics) so I haven't bothered googling it or looking any further at this stage but what do people think? In your opinion will it be any good or if you have it is it any good? Would you be silly enough to throw away you GPS and substitute it wholey with an ithingy?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Mud maps?

Post by CraigRat » 15 November 10 3:02 pm

Thanks for the post, although I can see how this app is in the news
The Mud Maps application, developed by Mud Map in Melbourne, uses the GPS in the device, rather than its phone reception antenna or wi-fi capability
Like every other smart device out there??

There's already heap of what they call 'offline' map apps for nearly every device out there.

Revolutionary? Hardly.

Does it even do turn-by-turn?

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 15 November 10 3:07 pm

This is only new because it uses free maps rather than the various paid ones that have been available on PDAs and smartphones pretty much from Day One.

On Android, there's a version of Google Maps that lets you store the maps on your SD card, for those times when you don't have (or want to use) cellphone data available.

If the GPS chip/antenna in your phone is as good as a dedicated GPS receiver, why NOT use it as your main caching tool? My last few finds have been made using the Groundspeak app on my Nexus One and, on each occasion, I've been taken close enough to the cache for my 'geosense' to kick in and start looking at the likely spots.

Heck, every time some new technology is announced that'll bring GPS accuracy into the cm rather than m range, there's always a few comments about how THAT will ruin the game!

Let's not dismiss the new technology just because it is new.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 15 November 10 3:14 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:This is only new because it uses free maps rather than the various paid ones that have been available on PDAs and smartphones pretty much from Day One.
But there's heaps of offline map apps on the i* platform already that use free offline maps like OSM derived maps... I just cant fathom the 'revolutionary' aspects of the app in question. Perhaps I'm missing the point.

(I've got a few good OSM based apps on my Android phone that use offline data as well as stuff like Brut maps etc that cache tiles)

As for replacing a dedicated GPS, yes I think we are only within one generation of having the handheld/car dedicated GPSr becoming a thing of the past...just as soon as they make these mobile doovers a little more robust!!

But hey, still looks like a good thing, and it's local!

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 15 November 10 8:12 pm

An average rating of 2/5 with 92 ratings is not a good sign.
User reviews complain of sluggish running and low resolution maps.
Looking at the screen shots in itunes I am guessing the free maps would not be terribly useful.

Have downloaded it so I will have a play.