Etrex (Vista) USB problem

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
ToolkiT

Etrex (Vista) USB problem

Post by ToolkiT » 24 September 04 9:58 pm

Hi all,

Just got a 'as good as new' etrex vista on ebay but having some trouble getting the drivers to work.

When I insert the cable it recognizes a new device, but whatever driver I use it seems to be failing.

It came with a serial cable with a serial to USB adaptor.
The cable/adaptor seems to be in good nick (so is the GPS itself..) so I think it is a software issue.
Have tried downloading drivers from all kinds of sources but cant seem to make it work..

Does anybody have this setup working? and if so can they email me the drivers?

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Re: Etrex (Vista) USB problem

Post by riblit » 24 September 04 10:43 pm

ToolkiT wrote:Hi all,

Just got a 'as good as new' etrex vista on ebay but having some trouble getting the drivers to work.

When I insert the cable it recognizes a new device, but whatever driver I use it seems to be failing.

It came with a serial cable with a serial to USB adaptor.
The cable/adaptor seems to be in good nick (so is the GPS itself..) so I think it is a software issue.
Have tried downloading drivers from all kinds of sources but cant seem to make it work..

Does anybody have this setup working? and if so can they email me the drivers?
I use a similiar setup with my Vista and Win XP. The drivers can vary depending on the hardware in the converter and do vary with differing operating systems. What make of converter do you have and what Operating System?

ToolkiT

Post by ToolkiT » 25 September 04 12:38 am

Not sure of the make, doesnt say, only has the CE/ FC logo on it..

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 25 September 04 11:34 pm

The only drama I have with the classic eTrex is occasionally I plug it in with NMEA happening and Windows thinks it is a mouse, so the data stream makes things go crazy.

More questions - are you using the USB adaptor or a straight serial? If the USB and trying to export from GSAK I know there have been problems, haven't had any with Ozi. If it is Windows saying it can't recognise it when you plug it in I would suspect it is the USB/serial converter as it shouldn't even see the GPS as a device.