off topic laptop question

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen

off topic laptop question

Post by Gunn Parker » 24 September 04 1:45 pm

HI All
I have an old laptop that I bought at action, it works very well for moving maps in the car but the battery has always been dead since I have had it, I rang around for a new one but it would cost about $140, the whole thing only cost $170, so it seems a waste.

I have had a look at the battry case and it seems to hold maybe 6 AA batteries inside, now does anyone know if I can cut open the case and replace the batteries inside?

Thanks
Andrew

Fivegallon

Re: off topic laptop question

Post by Fivegallon » 24 September 04 1:50 pm

Gunn Parker wrote:HI All
I have an old laptop that I bought at action, it works very well for moving maps in the car but the battery has always been dead since I have had it, I rang around for a new one but it would cost about $140, the whole thing only cost $170, so it seems a waste.

I have had a look at the battry case and it seems to hold maybe 6 AA batteries inside, now does anyone know if I can cut open the case and replace the batteries inside?

Thanks
Andrew
Maybe you should look at the positive side instead of the negative.
If you spend the $140 you gain a useful laptop.
If you don't spend the money, the $170 laptop purchase is a waste.
$310 for a laptop is pretty cool. It doesn't matter how old it is - if it does what you need it to do, i'd say it's worth it.

Gunn Parker

Post by Gunn Parker » 24 September 04 2:17 pm

HHMMMM, true

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 24 September 04 2:32 pm

or you can go to dick smiths and buy a transformer for $70 and just plug it into the cigarette lighter.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Re: off topic laptop question

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 24 September 04 2:36 pm

Gunn Parker wrote:I have had a look at the battry case and it seems to hold maybe 6 AA batteries inside, now does anyone know if I can cut open the case and replace the batteries inside?
If you can match the battery chemistry and capacity, go for it. Don't replace NiCads with NiMHs or anything, though!

If not, consider putting a diode in the circuit to stop it being charged by the laptop and only recharge the beatteries outside the device. Cumbersome, but still OK if you normally use a cigarette lighter attachment or mains to power it, and only use the battery occasionally.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 September 04 4:07 pm

Have a look at ebay for a new battery.
I could have had mine repacked for the same price as I bought a brand new one on ebay, so I chose a new one.

Gunn Parker

Post by Gunn Parker » 24 September 04 4:12 pm

I had a look before when I got the first quote but could not find one.

Lucanos

Post by Lucanos » 24 September 04 9:28 pm

Have you tried BatteryWorld?<br>
<br>
They tend to stock a pretty wide range of batteries (hence the name), but without charging the massive prices often found in stores like DSE/Harvey Norman...<br>
<br>
Just an idea.

GammaPiSigma
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by GammaPiSigma » 25 September 04 10:33 am

I recently purchased a dc-dc switchmode laptop power supply from Jaycar (cat # MP3466) and it has a lighter plug on one end and a variety of adapters on the other. This model is $120 as it has the Dell plug, but there is a cheaper version the MP3462 it is $89.50. This solution works a treat for the Dell laptop I use.

Hope this helps.

Mike.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 25 September 04 9:48 pm

I have a Kerio car adapter for mine, which works well. Got it from Dick Smith or Tandy I think (on special!).

- R

GammaPiSigma

Post by GammaPiSigma » 25 September 04 11:35 pm

Pesky,

Says on the back of the box (yes, i still have the box) that it is imported by Electus. Looking at your web store I am sure you know who Electus are. :)

Mike.