Itunes/Ipod?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Noah451

Itunes/Ipod?

Post by Noah451 » 04 September 10 5:33 pm

If I install Itunes software onto a new comp and have no music on it, and then plug in my iPod, why does it update to NO songs? Why does it wipe it clean?

<spam deleted and user banned>
Last edited by Noah451 on 07 September 10 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Indaweeds
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Re: Itunes/Ipod?

Post by Indaweeds » 04 September 10 5:52 pm

Because it's made by Apple, who like to make things harder than they should be. #-o

Basically, an ipod will only sync with one itunes library, so if the itunes library on your new computer is empty, then so is any ipod you sync with it. You need to transfer your library from the old computer to the new computer before you connect the ipod.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 04 September 10 5:58 pm

It's to stop you from easily bulk copying music from one computer to another ie: borrowing your friends ipod to get a copy of their music collection. The copywrite holders of the music consider that stealing. :-"

There are programs such as "sharepod" which let you access an ipod in much the same way as every other mp3 player. Might be able to copy your music to the new computer and more easily add them to itunes but you probably still would have problems syncing with the ipod...

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 05 September 10 12:08 am

Damo. wrote:It's to stop you from easily bulk copying music from one computer to another ie: borrowing your friends ipod to get a copy of their music collection. The copywrite holders of the music consider that stealing. :-"

There are programs such as "sharepod" which let you access an ipod in much the same way as every other mp3 player. Might be able to copy your music to the new computer and more easily add them to itunes but you probably still would have problems syncing with the ipod...
Can you tell me more about Share pod.... I find itunes a pain in the neck. I too have 2 computers and unless I keep both libraries completely up to date with each other .... same as the above post.
Can you subscribe to podcasts with sharepod and are they automatically downloaded etc.... and synched.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 05 September 10 12:59 am

Have really only used it once to be honest. Downloaded it and installed it on the netbook while travelling because a friend wanted to add some tracks to his ipod. (And not have my itunes wipe it!)
At the time it added the ipod like an external HDD letting you drag and drop files. From the looks of the website it has become somewhat more feature rich since I used it. Doesn't mention podcasts in the features so you might need to have them in a playlist to copy them. No auto anything.

garnercx

Post by garnercx » 07 September 10 3:22 pm

Indaweeds wrote:Because it's made by Apple, who like to make things harder than they should be. #-o
While I appreciate that the comment is probably tongue-in-cheek, From what I've seen, I think Apple has a pretty good track record for making things easier, rather than harder.

Assuming that the person asking the question is not using a Mac, then the point is rather well demonstrated, as when you buy a new Mac, you can very easily migrate your data to the new computer and you wouldn't come across the issue described above.

I think I'm being too serious today.

garnercx

Post by garnercx » 07 September 10 3:23 pm

Noah451 wrote:If I install Itunes software onto a new comp and have no music on it, and then plug in my iPod, why does it update to NO songs? Why does it wipe it clean?
As previously mentioned, this is a restriction to prevent wholesale copying of music. The limitation was originally placed on Apple by the big four record companies. While Apple has successfully lobbied them to allow DRM free music, and Apple have also refused to charge different prices for songs and albums based on popularity and newness (unlike when you buy a CD), they haven't lifted the copying from iPod restriction - yet(*).

Luckily it's not a big issue to work around anyway. As stated, the best thing to do is to avoid trashing your iTunes library when you re-install your OS in the first place. On Windows, if you have left iTunes to manage the music folder structure for you (recommended) you just need to retain a copy of the iTunes folder in your "My Music" folder, and put it back before you install iTunes. If you are managing your own music file system(s), you'll need to make sure you save them all and put them back when you restore. Same applies if you get a new computer. You need to migrate the iTunes folder across to the new computer before you install iTunes. If you have a Mac, time machine will take care of restoring all the data for you as part of the computer rebuild. If you buy a new computer, you can transfer all your music and settings when you turn on the new computer using the migration assistant.

If it's too late for that, you can use sharepod as suggested before, or Senuti (iTunes backwards). Senuti is now no longer free, but it is very good software and worth getting. Senuti will allow you to get your music off your iPod and onto your computer.

If you want to add a large chuck of music to your collection at any stage, the best idea is to import the music with iTunes. That way iTunes can write out a neat folder structure of music for you. Either map a share drive to another system or use removable media.

The advantage of having iTunes do this for you is that if you notice that music is - for example - incorrectly classified as a compilation, or has a typo in the album name, and that sort of thing - when you change it in iTunes, iTunes will fix your filesystem of music for you as well.

Hope it all works!

Alex

(*)One wonders if this 'feature' has been deliberately left in place by Apple, as they have been successful in getting the record companies to play ball in making music more accessible and affordable to consumers as stated above. As the iTunes music store overtakes sales of CDs in the US this month, I'm sure they could change this if they wanted to. Either way - it's not a big issue to work around anyway.
Last edited by garnercx on 07 September 10 3:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

garnercx

Post by garnercx » 07 September 10 3:24 pm

That's weird. My posts were added in the reverse order that I posted them!

I'm losing it.

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 07 September 10 3:28 pm

I'm still using sharepod for my nano since I use it with more than one computer. Works great! However the iPhone is on itunes.

Indaweeds
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Indaweeds » 07 September 10 10:14 pm

garnercx wrote:
Indaweeds wrote:Because it's made by Apple, who like to make things harder than they should be. #-o
While I appreciate that the comment is probably tongue-in-cheek,
Not at all...I was being completely serious. It's one of the reasons I'd rather have bubonic plague than own an Apple product. But that's a whole different topic...

garnercx

Post by garnercx » 08 September 10 12:17 am

Indaweeds wrote:
garnercx wrote:While I appreciate that the comment is probably tongue-in-cheek,
Not at all...I was being completely serious. It's one of the reasons I'd rather have bubonic plague than own an Apple product. But that's a whole different topic...
Oh OK. So what do you prefer instead of the iPod and iTunes? I've not really looked at the MP3 player market in a few years, but I must say I've not been too impressed with the smart phone offerings from other companies I've investigated recently.

As for the bubonic plague - I have to confess that I haven't tried it.

Indaweeds
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Indaweeds » 08 September 10 11:26 pm

I don't use a dedicated mp3 player these days. I use my Android phone for any media playing while out and about, but I mainly listen to podcasts and audio books...not too much music.
I use MediaMonkey and XBMC for my music collection at home.
Likewise, I've not been too impressed with Apple's "smartphone" offerings either...fortunately we have freedom of choice :D

garnercx

Post by garnercx » 09 September 10 12:09 am

Indaweeds wrote:I don't use a dedicated mp3 player these days. I use my Android phone for any media playing while out and about, but I mainly listen to podcasts and audio books...not too much music.
I'm the same. I subscribe to about 15 podcasts that I keep up with regularly. I could never just listen to music when in the car or on public transport. I need something to keep the mind busy. This has always been something I don't understand - you can learn so much with all that 'wasted' time by listening to podcasts.
Indaweeds wrote:Likewise, I've not been too impressed with Apple's "smartphone" offerings either...fortunately we have freedom of choice :D
Indeed. What didn't you like out of interest?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 09 September 10 12:27 am

Can we PLEASE not get in to the pro/anti Apple stuff here??

These forums are my one refuge from all that

garnercx

Post by garnercx » 09 September 10 1:24 am

CraigRat wrote:Can we PLEASE not get in to the pro/anti Apple stuff here??

These forums are my one refuge from all that
Of course, Dear Leader. :-#