Tree cover performance of a Garmin map60 csx

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
chase'em
1100 or more caches found

Tree cover performance of a Garmin map60 csx

Post by chase'em » 22 August 10 9:18 pm

I am thinking of purchasing a Garmin Map60 CSX and would be interested to hear from fellow geocachers that use one. In particularly how well they perform under heavy tree cover, or down in gorges as a lot of caches involve that situation. I currently use a Map 60CS which tends to drop the birds in that situation. :-k :-k

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Re: Tree cover performance of a Garmin map60 csx

Post by PesceVerde » 22 August 10 11:29 pm

Hi. Any GPSr is likely to loose some signal in those conditions. I can say the more sensitive aerial and satellite hold of my 60CSx is a whole lot better than some, and has been pretty well bulletproof in operation.

The new GPSmap 62S is another theoretical step forward for the range and looks like being so in practice as well, except for the belt clip! :stabby

Barndillo
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: tom_guy

Post by Barndillo » 23 August 10 11:50 am

Will let you know about the GPSMap 62s soon. Should be delivered tomorrow, but might have to wait until after fathers day for my review.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 29 August 10 9:29 am

Possibly the best GPSr ever made, I have heard too many problems with the newer models eg: Colorado/Oregon
We will see how good the 62 and 78 models go for reliability soon

WazzaAndWenches
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 29 August 10 10:44 pm

I've been in the market for a gps for a few days as my 60csx disappeared from my desk at work :cry: It appears a "customers" has grabbed it from the desk while we've been bust serving real customers. :stabby :stabby :stabby

After spending quite a bit of time on the phone a couple of days ago the general response from a number of gps retailers was that I would struggle to find a 60csx anywhere because Anaconda bought the remaining stocks for a massive clearance sale a couple of weeks back ($299 down from around $500 normal price).
Even JA was a bit dubious about their stock levels.
Very few stores have stocks of the new 62s as yet and it appears no-one has stock of the car bracket/charger either - sold out at the moment.
JA do have the 62s and I expect mine to arrive tomorrow.
As for the 60csx, I was very happy with it and had no reason to even look at alternative options till mine was stolen.
Garmins rrp for the 60csx is $449 and the 62s is $499. JohnnyAppleseed are offering the 62s for $455 and the 60cx for $439 - I know which one I'd choose out of the two - the newest. :D

chase'em

Post by chase'em » 01 September 10 10:42 pm

Thanks for your feedback.
I managed to buy one of the last 60csx from Ananconda and am looking forward now to test it under the trees. :D

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 02 September 10 3:01 pm

I got one of the last ones from Anaconda too and it takes some getting used to after the simplicity (or basicness) of the Etrex.
Still it's got some great features and I'll learn to love it! The geokid has found the games on it so it's like a Gameboy when we are in the car.

Tera

Post by Tera » 30 September 10 8:34 pm

Anaconda have the 60 CSx in stock at Lidcombe NSW I bought one just today for $299 :D

Wonder Wits

Post by Wonder Wits » 01 October 10 1:13 pm

I'm happy with my CSX too (but I haven't had anything else to compare it with...) Happy under trees, happy under the open, happy, happy. Only really weird reading I've had was in the Brisbane CBD when I had a zero reading, found the cache, and then according to the GPS I was 80 metres away... :-k

But over the last 2 years I've found the compass reading has been getting more and more unreliable - much more so under trees, and definitely within 10 metres of the cache (but maybe that's normal) - and I recalibrate it regularly when it's getting near the end of the day and I need a nice pointy needle to head me in the right direction. I used to amuse the local wildlife by holding the GPS in my hand and turning around two times, but then I read on a forum that you just need to turn the GPS in your hand... :lol:

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 07 October 10 8:28 pm

Anyone have the compass needle disappear? It started doing this a couple of days ago and only lasts a few minutes at a time. A restart brings it back for a bit then it's gone again. Annoying.

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found

Post by PesceVerde » 07 October 10 8:56 pm

Yurt wrote:Anyone have the compass needle disappear? It started doing this a couple of days ago and only lasts a few minutes at a time. A restart brings it back for a bit then it's gone again. Annoying.
My 60CSx has never done this :?: . I tend to use the 60CSx as a benchmark because of it's reliability.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 10 October 10 11:51 am

I don't mean the actual compass I mean the "this way to the cache" pointer. It just disappears after 30 seconds to a minute and only returns if you turn it off and on again quickly. Then it disappears again. We've been working on watching the distance to go falling until we get within 30 metres then do the off-on thing to get the pointer back. It sucks. I assume it needs some sort of fix but was wondering if there was something simple in the set up that could be changed.
It's well and truly under warranty so it will be going back if we can't fix it.

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found

Post by PesceVerde » 10 October 10 1:30 pm

If battery contacts and settings etc. are good, it sounds like a job for Garmin.